• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage 2014

I hear you Kydog - I agree wholeheartedly, Franchised outlets are great, gives people more choice, and provided the prices are the same as the high street then more value too (with the exception of Burger Krap which seem to vary their prices depending where they are - though the poor quality of their burgers is pretty consistent).

Except the prices at the franchised outlets in Thorpe Park are higher than other KFCs & Burger Kings. I have also always had awful service in both KFC and Burger King at Thorpe whereas the Merlin owned outlets at AT and CWoA have given much better service. KFC also serves a limited menu at Thorpe too so they don't offer much more choice that Merlin fried chicken does.
I don't think Burger Kitchen is great but there are other good food options on park.

The thought of Nandos at Towers. *drools*

There is a Merlin run chicken shack at Chessington offering Peri-Peri chicken.

... Why not go ahead with the 'Downtown Towers' style entertainment complex. Cinema, restaurants, bars, shows... Sigh....

Trouble is, no matter how much we might want franchised food back in some respects - it ain't gonna happen while Merlin are in charge.

Franchises pay a rate based on whatever contract they sign. Whereas if Merlin can control their own outlets they can directly influence how much money they take and how much profit they make.

Got to agree with Scott, this is about money not quality, not matter how much they "care about their burgers".... they care that they make them money. That's about it.

Merlin having their own outlets makes a lot of sense. Most, if not all enthusiasts praised in-house outlets dominating Towers. Ironic after years of people saying "they need to go in-house" some of us are here wanting to see franchised outlets back. I don't mind Merlin parks being in-house, although one franchise outlet wouldn't hurt too much.

There is a Merlin run chicken shack at Chessington offering Peri-Peri chicken.
Not at Towers though. :'(

I'm not to fussed either way, in fact I would like good in house outlets with some creativity and imagination that felt like you'd completely escaped into this magical place - yes that word again, and you can't do that at Maccy D's etc.

The problem I have, is it's CRAP.

Merlin having their own outlets makes a lot of sense. Most, if not all enthusiasts praised in-house outlets dominating Towers. Ironic after years of people saying "they need to go in-house" some of us are here wanting to see franchised outlets back. I don't mind Merlin parks being in-house, although one franchise outlet wouldn't hurt too much.

Not at Towers though. :'(

I think it's come down to the fact that they've shown that they can't handle in-house food! I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

I'd much prefer a franchise back in the place of Burger Kitchen. The service is awful, waiting for each person's order before taking the next is a silly way to conduct a fast food outlet. The burgers are bland, not bad, not great, just bland.

:)

The need of people not bringing in food is not there - I'm sure they'd far rather earn 100% of the revenue they get from all (excluding Eastern Express) outlets than getting 10% off a franchise outlet and not many people visiting their own.

All they need to do is put some effort into the food. Which they may well do if the profit margins are there and the guests enjoy it. They just need to be a bit adventurous rather than replacing all 3 BKs with.... 3 BKs. Hopefully that time will come, kind of like how Entertainments is slowly getting bigger and bigger.

I remember when the big three chains came to both chessington and the towers, McDonalds at chessington was branded in the 1998 map as 'deep in the heart of Transylvania you'll find "counts cauldron", one of the biggest themed McDonalds restaurants in the world. When huger strikes, step into this unique restaurant where you can enjoy your favourite McDonalds's meal, combined with friendly service, in a fun, clean enviroment and all at High Street prices."

It was what it said, themed, clean, had great service (I remember it being very quick with an express lane) and reasonable prices. (I'm not saying the food is great and I don't frequent them anymore) Its the opposite to what's on offer now. There is no magic to the meal (well apart from how quick your money dissapears from your wallet at bk, for a substandard burger). The themeing was immersive at chessington, (only mc Donalds) it was reasonably priced etc.

The only descent in house meal I ever had was as Thorpe park when they used to sell sticky ribs in calypso quay. Never have I had a nice meal at Alton including in 99 when I had a terrible meal in the secret garden restaurant. (Used the salt and pepper and rust came out all over my meal!)

I would like to see a verity of outlets appear all with different price ranges. I think the explorers buffet is OK but I'd love to see more themeing and more choice, I am well up for a nandos type place. Eating should be an experience too, just look at KFC in Thorpe, its not 'out of the box'.

I would personally like to see an improvement in the in-house food offering than the return of franchised brands to the park. Bringing back high street brands would be a step backwards in my opinion and I am pretty sure that it won't happen.

It wasn't long ago the whole of the forum was crying out for the removal of Burger King from the park. The prices were high (with no MAP discount), the service was extrememely poor and orders were often incorrect. Do we want to go back to that? I understand McDonalds was better but there is always a chance of the same happening.

I also don't think having high street brands in the park helps with the whole concept of escapism. So for Towers it makes sense from a financial and theme park point of view to have their own branded outlets.

The big problem is the fact that F&B on park is declining rather than improving. I have no doubt that the cause of this issue is the same as most other issues at the park: budget cuts. A few years ago Mexican Cantina used to be my favourite place to eat on park; there was a great selection of food which was of good quality and reasonably priced. However each year for the last few it has got worse and worse and the choice now is appalling.

F&B is a hugely important part of a theme park. Everyone has to eat. Make it the best it can be and chances are more people will eat more stuff and guess what that means, more money!

:)

Every problem I hear this season from so many people (and from my self) is how rubbish food and beverage seems to me. In fact on most of my visits this year there has been some kind of issue linked to a meal!

The problem is food at towers is one massive rip off, there is no question about that. £7 for a fried chicken meal? £9 for a burger and chips in woodcutters (with no drink!)? £7 for a burger kitchen meal? You get much nicer and much cheaper food anywhere else in the country. And the worse thing is it just keeps going up and up, now it seems to go up two or even three times a season. You don't see McDonalds or Wetherspoons putting their prices up all the time across their whole range.

Is it any wonder people are spending less, and putting the prices up will just mean people will spend even less. Gone are the days when you might buy a meal and then treat yourself to a side dish and a dessert, people will now just buy the one meal and be done. Grab a McDonalds on the way home or something.

Then on top of the rip off prices you usually get very average meals with slow and often rubbish service. Most of the staff look like they don't want to be there, almost all of them in Towers Bar & Grill looked like they would rather be anywhere but in there (I mean I can't really blame them!). We went to pizza pasta buffet yesterday, there was a bit of a queue but it didn't take long to get seated. But it then took forever for someone to come over to us and take our money and give us our plates. Its like there is no form of leadership or management around food and beverage.

I assume the day you were undercharged for your meal and got a free drink was one of the times there wasn't an issue! :p

I think the prices at Towers are just about right. They are ridiculous prices, but in terms of theme park prices they're no different to what you pay in loads of theme parks around the world.

I assume the day you were undercharged for your meal and got a free drink was one of the times there wasn't an issue! :p
No there was still a problem, as they got the order wrong in the first place, which then resulted in the free drink and undercharge :p