• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

Seems the pay rates have had quite the adjustment at Aramark šŸ¤£

321F1B66-629F-43BA-A621-4643CA43D425.jpeg
Pretty sure Towers were paying ~Ā£11/hour for the same Kitchen Porter role last year because they were that short staffed, seems ridiculous for Aramark to lower it during a period of high inflation for this country and labour market shortages. Not counting the fact that Towers is at least 10 miles away from any substantial workforce...

Expect the situation with F&B to get much worse this season.

"Quick, work out the annual salary equivalent of 25+ minimum wage and shove that on there instead".

Any idea how long this Aramark contract lasts? I hope so badly it fails.
You can only hope that there's some clause in it for Merlin to terminate it and/or get some sort of compensation back should they wish to get rid of them.

It always strikes me that AT's F&B team is out of touch with what modern consumers expect when dining out. The practice of only offering burgers, nuggets and chips is really outdated - the UK is (generally) much more cosmopolitan than it was in the 90s. Eat at any chain restaurant and you'll see pasta dishes, noodles, curries, tacos, etc., even on kids' menus. I'm not saying there's no place for the basic stuff, but more diverse, contemporary options would be welcome. It's also a real shame that there are no decent healthy options in the park, either - sometimes, people just want a nice salad or soup to take away.

I also think AT could really benefit from having some more unique, iconic food options. At Disney, eating is experiential. Prices are exorbitant and quality is hit-and-miss but it doesn't really matter because most of the food items are special - they're often themed to their surroundings, aesthetically pleasing or somehow memorable. There are entire websites and YT channels dedicated to these options, and F&B is responsible for a huge portion of income at the Disney parks. It baffles me that AT would rather outsource F&B than try and replicate this strategy.

Weā€™re coming to towers on opening day for a birthday celebration, normally when we visit for an occasion like that weā€™d eat at Woodcutters, Pizza Pasta or RCR, but the price increases and potential drop in quality is making me nervous to spend my money on food at any merlin park at the moment.

I think I might just get some picnic bits from the fancy section at the supermarket to bring along and hope for good weather so we can sit on the lawns. Seems like it would be a much more pleasant experience although it might be a bit premature saying that.

Might try Aramark offerings on a different visit just to see for ourselves what itā€™s like but Iā€™m not willing to risk it for a birthday lunch where you want to feel like itā€™s a treat.

images

Just get one of these bad boys.

Microwave some Pasta in the morning and you get a hot, cheap lunch in the afternoon.

Screenshot_20230228-101239.jpggive yourselves a pat on the back Alton towers you've gotten the attention you were asking for.
Surely by this point, AT have had enough negative publicity about the food that they will be forced to improve it soon? We'll have to see how much buisness decreases by in March.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230228-101239.jpggive yourselves a pat on the back Alton towers you've gotten the attention you were asking for.
Itā€™s so bad that youā€™d genuinely think someone was playing a practical joke on you. If youā€™re offering takeaway breakfasts, and least put it in the right kind of container and not a pizza box šŸ˜‚

They'll hide behind the external F&B supplier excuse when handling all the complaints. But the bottom line is that disgusting, expensive food is being sold to their customers at their attraction and its not a good look.

They'll hide behind the external F&B supplier excuse when handling all the complaints. But the bottom line is that disgusting, expensive food is being sold to their customers at their attraction and its not a good look.

As above, the "boiler plate" template that Guest Services wheel out when people complain about the non-fantastical food will be "it was not provided by us, but a third party - your comments have been passed on to the relevant people [i.e. put through the shredder]".

This is not how how using third party suppliers for food should work. Look at airline catering as a prime example. Very few airlines have their own catering kitchen, unless it's at one of their mega-hubs (e.g. Emirates in Dubai). At other airports they use a third party supplier (examples include LSG Skychefs, GateGourmet etc). When agreeing contracts with these third parties, the airlines are heavily involved, with relevant big-wigs attending tasting sessions with the caterer etc. The food represents the airline to the passenger, as it is served onboard a liveried aircraft, by crew in airline uniform - a shocking meal is enough to generate bad publicity & lead to loss of future business. If the disgruntled passenger was sat up-front and tells his PA to never book him on that airline again, the loss in future revenue runs to thousands with ease.

A relative was the corporate travel manager for a large multi-national company. A certain large hotel chain pissed him off big time on a stay on many fronts (food was one of them) and did not seem particularly bothered about it. He ensured that this hotel chain got no future advance bookings from the company, worldwide. Staff could still stay at the chains hotels, but it had to be on a basis that their travel plans had changed at short notice & there was nowhere else available. They became the "option of last resort" as opposed to the 1st choice for accommodation bookings.

If - or more likely when - Aramark fail to deliver suitable quality to match the prices, Towers & Merlin will find that you reap what you sow.

It seems the awful breakfast served in a pizza box has finally hit the media:

What makes me laugh if how Aramark have left a statement and not even Alton Towers. They say it was a one off

I was just writing a post on the very subject.

Pleased to see they are making the headlines after 2 months in charge šŸ¤£.

It appears their answer to the issue of an awful room service breakfast is simply to downgrade it to a continental only option instead. So because they canā€™t cope with boxing up a hot breakfast, the customer gets a worse service. Bravo.

Breakfast is available to all Treehouse guests at any of the restaurants on site. As an alternative option, room service is also available for breakfast which some guests find more convenient. Following a full review carried out in January, a new continental breakfast offering is now available for guests availing of the service.

The new breakfast hamper for Treehouse guests includes a range of fresh fruit, cereals, milk, a loaf of bread, a selection of juices, a range of pastries, an assortment of jams and marmalades, as well as yogurts, all delivered in a wicker hamper with linen napkins. All hot breakfast options continue to be served on-site in themed restaurants."

Last edited:
What makes me laugh if how Aramark have left a statement and not even Alton Towers. They say it was a one off
The absolute laziness to shirk responsibility of this mess onto Aramark. They were put in place by Alton Towers/Merlin themselves to provide food and beverage at their parks, providing a similar level of service to what has been in place for years. I don't care what third party provider is in place, I'm at your attraction and as far as I'm concerned they should be dealing with it.

Guess it goes to show how any complaints are going to go now..."Ah I'm sorry about that, our outlets are provided by a third party. However we'll be sure to pass on your feedback". Shockingly poor customer service.