• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

I'd much prefer a high street brand than what's on offer ATM. When CWoA had the McDonald's outside bubble works the theming was incredible and the food was fast and to a standard you expected without being stupidly priced. Look at KFC in Thorpe... It's one of the best themed restaurants in the M£rlin empire.

I'm not a fan of generic stuff but I'd much prefer it over the slop (or lack of it if you have a dietary requirement) that Aramark currently offers.

Nandos would be interesting and so would a spoons but I fear the latter would not appear. (Sorry but my 2 local ones are stunning and r not run down, it's nice to see how often spoons have saved historic buildings).

If merlin went down the value route, I'd eat in park again and I would visit more. It's another reason I wouldn't go to towers.

If people feel they are getting good value I believe I'd also splash out more for treats like doughnuts or ice creams to tide me over if the close is past 5pm!

It’s intriguing that the prevailing contemporary opinion is that the park would benefit from brands being brought back to the park. Before the brands left years ago the prevailing opinion was that Merlin-operated outlets would provide better quality and variety.

The clamour for brands to return really shows how far standards have fallen in those Merlin/Aramark outlets since.

Triple bonus Less woke folk too! 🤣
Yes, because I too would love to spend more time around people who are obsessed with others being polite, courteous and considerate. How dare people show basic compassion, empathy and understanding! I should be able to spend my day in a theme park spouting whatever hateful rhetoric I want, toward people who don't fit into my world view, without fear of being chastised.

What an utterly ridiculous statement to make.

Yes, because I too would love to spend more time around people who are obsessed with others being polite, courteous and considerate. How dare people show basic compassion, empathy and understanding! I should be able to spend my day in a theme park spouting whatever hateful rhetoric I want, toward people who don't fit into my world view, without fear of being chastised.

What an utterly ridiculous statement to make.
I don't know what your local spoons is like but my local ones tend to be full of the opposite to that. Generalising is always a bad trait.

I admit I bit the bait with your original comment made me mad because you are basically freedom of speech is not allowed. In that case this forum might as well close!

Just because someone has different views to you doesn't mean they are wrong or right. But a willingness to listen and engage make the world a better place.

Just jumping in to point out that there are plenty of nice 'Spoons pubs out there. Some of them in gorgeous old buildings. (My local that shut down earlier this year was the genuine heart of the local town, even though the "ye olde" historic pub is just over the road. I knew the staff and the other regulars, and I miss it, damnit!)
... Ahem.
'Spoons offers an ever rotating choice of interesting ales to try, at a good price, and perfectly good, if not exciting, food. just avoid the ones on high streets on a saturday night.

I, for one, think a themed 'Spoons near the hotels would be ideal.

(I didn't come up with this, won't say who did)
"Weatherspoons, and Channel 5, have aged together with [my] generation:
In the 90's, you'd go to 'Spoons for a larey night on alcopops, stumble home, and watch softcore p**n on C5.
In the '20's, you go to 'Spoons for a quiet pint of real ale with friends, go home, and watch documentaries about bridges on C5."

Last edited:
If there's a need for a dedicated 'Spoons thread then could someone please make one and I'll gladly move these posts there. Otherwise please could we keep the comparisons relevant to Towers! Thanks.
Yep sure we were talking about brands coming into the park...

Did anyone go to the ribs place when it was new at thorpe park next to Nemesis Inferno when it had just opened. That had the best ribs about and was always busy. Such a shame it turned into bad pizza.

I admit I bit the bait with your original comment made me mad because you are basically freedom of speech is not allowed. In that case this forum might as well close!
Citation is certainly needed here, sir. I think it's very apparent to most that I have no issues with freedom of expression and speech. I've certainly never said that freedom of speech is not allowed. It's definitely allowed, but so is the challenging of any opinions you don't agree with. An open discourse is the basis of any democratic, or free, society.
I don't know what your local spoons is like but my local ones tend to be full of the opposite to that. Generalising is always a bad trait.
Where did I say that this is what a JD Wetherspoon is like? I gave a rhetoric example of what spending time in a theme park 'with less woke folk' would be like. I don't understand the obsession 'anti-woke' people have with others being mindful and considerate of how they treat others. Why on earth would you want to spend time around people who get angry about others objecting to the use of hurt and abuse? How would this enhance a theme park visit in any way?

My original post described why I didn't think a JD Wetherspoon was appropriate for a luxury, or family, theme park. Its operational model is to sell booze cheaply by volume. Under 16s are only permitted when dining with adults. Considering the audience Alton Towers appeals to, it doesn't fit with the operational model.

Having a family friendly and themed pub, selling pub grub, absolutely makes sense for Alton Towers. I'd very much like one there. A countryside style pub refresh would suit the Tavern/Welcome-Inn very well. JD Wetherspoon isn't the right fit, or model though.

I haven't visited the food trucks at AT, but it can't be worse than the last time I ate at Woodcutters (the "best" place at AT IMHO 😔 ). AT don't have "high st rents" to manage, so it must be entirely feasible for restaurants (chains or otherwise) to be profitable and for Merlin to take their cut. Airport locations manage it and their rents are astronomical.

Current pricing is way OTT for the quality. That's why I always end up at KFC at TP. 25% mark-up but at least the "quality" is preserved. If the food were better at the parks I'd probably spend twice as much!

Does anyone have a menu (screengrab?) for the Roller Coaster Restaurant for 2024?

One for the Woodcutter's as well would also help, as trying to plan where to eat.

We've done the RCR for about the past 5 years and found it genuinely pretty decent (despite a few glitches).... until last year, when the menu was different (they'd removed the lovely flatbreads) and food quality pretty poor.

Like to have a pint with lunch, so choice of venue is pretty limited!

Whilst it appears to be a massive increase in quality, and it's a positive to see themed food (we should praise the good), the price point is absolutely appalling.

Student Tickets for admission to Alton Towers, even on peak days, are £21. The combo deal is £1 less.

The ONLY justification for this price is that, in reality, for the majority of visitors it's actually £16 for a combo deal. Aramark outlets are contractually obliged to give all customers with an ATAP or MAP a 20% discount on items. Clearly Merlin do not financially compensate Aramark for the 20% loss in revenue, which hurts Aramark's profit margin. Ironically it's the pass holders who are bringing their own food and drink, opting to not spend on the resort, having been burned by the drop in quality and service. The CazzyVs (Casual Visitors) are the ones who will be most impacted by this price hike, and they're the ones who Merlin need to impress the most. You won't be able to turn them into repeat customers, of passholders, if they're not getting a great customer experience on Visit 1.

I would actively encourage Merlin to introduce some sort of price cap with Aramark outlets, or renegotiate the deal. In its present form it's alienating customers and damaging the reputation of both firms.