• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

QPR and Burnley going down hasn't really been in doubt for some time, but at least Burnley tried to avoid relegation.

If I remember correctly, is this the most expensive relegation ever, with QPR having a £50 million fine from breaking financial fair play rules when they got promoted.

It is going to be very interesting end of the season to see who manages to avoid the final relegation place.

Ian

The one thing that really puzzles me about QPR going down is this. Why hasn't Harry Redknapp been blamed. When he took that club over he could have had a clear out of the old guard and brought in new exciting talent that the club could billed with. Instead he kept with signing old has beans who he has signed before. Look at that club a large amount of players are in their late thirties, and criminal off all, they have a defence that would at their age would struggle against a good league 1 side. Instead the BBC last night (trying to keep 'arry on side to be a pundit) blamed the people their now.

Harry has been a disaster and im glad he never got near the England job. As his track record is poor.

West Ham. Took years to get over his spending and were relegated.

Portsmouth. Yes he brought them up, but when he briefly left the club struggled with lack of funds, he returns and low and behold money is now available and he spends on pretty expensive talent. Result Portsmouth now play in League 2.

Southampton. God only knows what he did their spent money on crap left before the ship fully sank and the club went into League 1.

Spurs. Had success, abd was rightly sacked for trying to hard to become the England Gaffer. They have done nothing since and are still trying to get over their over spending with him in charge.

Yet the media never bring this up. Instead they are hailing him for helping Bournemouth get into the Premier League. he blokes a sham.

The media have their friends, unfortunately 'Onest 'Arry is one of them, even if he is two-bob...

He left QPR because he didn't want the relegation on his resume... That's literally the only reason, with the poor excuse of a gammy knee (I didn't realise managers needed their knee to stand on the sidelines) which the majority of people saw straight through...

Hopefully he'll never get another job... Don't need crooks like him in football, though Niko Krancjar will probably be upset...

And I hope QPR get the book thrown at them, should be interesting what the FL do to them...

Agree with everything about Harry, except Spurs, they did perform well under him. The money they got for Bale, Modric et al. wasn't wasted by him. With QPR it was very much a 'I've f*cked this up, I'm out now to preserve my reputation'.

Happy that United are back in the Champions League. It's been an odd season really, I expected our defence to be woeful but I also expected more from Di Maria and Falcao. We shouldn't offer Falcao a contract and I wouldn't be surprised if Di Maria left in the summer either. I hope we hold onto De Gea, but Madrid will eventually sign him. I'm also happy that the current top 6 are exactly as I predicted back at the start of August. ;)

I don't want Falcao to be given a permanent contract. He's been disappointing all season, and not the player we expected him to be. If we had him before he got injured, then things might've been different. As for Di María, I hope that he stays and has another season to try and turn things around, but I honestly don't know whether that'll happen, especially given that subject to a medical, we will be signing Memphis Depay for next season. Memphis' arrival at Old Trafford could also potentially put Ashley Young's place in the squad under question, which would be a shame, given that he's improved this season.

I suspect Memphis will be the first signing of many over the transfer window. Defensively, we still need strengthening, with a new right-back and a new centre-back being the priorities in that area. Rafael's been injured too much this season, and while Antonio Valencia has been decent cover for that position, he's still really a midfielder. Nathaniel Clyne's been rumoured to sign for United for ages, and the issues surrounding a potential new contract at Southampton recently have fired the rumour mill up even more around his potential move from the south coast to Manchester. As for centre-back? Well, the one name that's been linked for a very long time is Mats Hummels from Borussia Dortmund, and I would have no complaints whatsoever if he ended up signing for United.

Regarding David de Gea. This season, he has been absolutely outstanding, and I sincerely hope that he will stay at the club for longer, although, like Danza, have a feeling that he'll leave for Real Madrid at some point. If he does, then I would like to think that Victor Valdés will provide a decent service as a goalkeeper, but we haven't seen him play a senior game since he signed for us back in January. This is a slight concern, but when de Gea's performing as brilliantly as he is at the moment, then I can definitely see why LVG hasn't dropped him all season!

I have to agree with about De Gea; he has been the best keeper this season bar none. After he saved Glenn Murray's close range shot on Saturday, a lot of Palace fans around me were saying stuff like "what a save" and "superb save" and I couldn't disagree with them.

You could call me bias though cause I am him apparently :p

Last edited:
I said to my seat neighbour on Saturday that de Gea was the best GK in the league, he didn't believe me...

He then did that close range save at 1-1 shortly afterwards...

Unsurprisingly, he conceded my point shortly thereafter...

I just watched a 'De Gea Saves 2014/15' video on YouTube to remind myself of his best ones and there are so many incredible stops. The Osman one, the ones against Cazorla and Sanchez in the FA Cup (despite us losing), and now Murray's are the ones which stand out to me most.

Jonathan, I too would like to see Di Maria turn it around but I think if someone like PSG came in with an offer he'd be off.

Di Maria and Falco were panic buys from united to try and make sure that they showed people that even though they were not in the champions league they could still buy big.

As a supporter of LFC it hurts to see united above us (again). But I can also say that neither side really don't deserve champions league next year. We haven't replaced Suarez, a lack of real strength in depth at crucial times, and Sterling listening to his agent, and then not performing. Plus with Gerrard leaving maybe that put too much pressure on players to achieve. I don't know.

Without De Gea united could have struggled. The amount of saves he has had to make is poor for a top 4 side, Lets be honest the PL this season has been poor. Chelsea have won it buy sitting back and going for 1-0. City have too many players that are not capable of being as consistent, and only won the league because LFC through it away. Arsenal have again not be consistent. No sides can achieve anything in Europe, and those in the Europa league don't want to be their despite the grand prize at the end. Surely fighting for CL in two fronts is better then one.

My "good ole 'arry" point. Spurs had started to take a tumble before he left. Once Cappello left England and his tax return had cleared all he wanted was that England job, he was desperate. The media wanted him, some idiot fans wanted him, and he wanted more then anything. Spurs and the Fa did the right thing in getting rid.

Chelsea have only actually won 5 games over the 36 played by a score of 1-0 this year... In their first 4 games they scored 15 goals... They've scored 70 goals too this season, 7 behind City, so it's amazing how easy it is for the media to paint a certain perception of a team at times...

It's only really in the bigger games that dour Mourinho comes out, but then again, dourness does get results when the going does get tough, imagine if Rodgers had been dour last year against Palace when it was 3-1? Might have seen a different outcome...

Chelsea's attacking ability (when they use it), is very impressive, I remember thinking that when I watched them at Selhurst earlier in the year... They clearly used it more than enough throughout the season, what with only losing twice the entire year (Newcastle and Spurs)...

Di Maria had just won the Champions League at Madrid and was probably considered their 2nd best player. He's the kind of player we needed as the side seriously lacked pace. Unfortunately so far it hasn't worked out, but I wouldn't say it was a panic buy (though the price was inflated). Falcao yes, though we haven't actually bought him.

I agree about the PL being poor, just look at how we've performed in Europe. The English clubs need to sort it out because if we have another poor season or two we could be reduced to 3 UCL places as Italy receive an additional one.

I too am glad Redknapp didn't get the England job, though I can't say I like Hodgson as manager. However, I still stand by what I said about his Spurs spell. He finished 4th, but then due to Chelsea winning the UCL had to settle for Europa League and was sacked early June. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back in December when a struggling PL side is desperate.

You say that about Chelsea, since January they have won 4 games out of 15 by a margin of 2+ goals. Jose obviously has seen that the only way this Chelsea side can succeed is buy hanging on, too which they do very well. Before January they were tearing sides apart. Wonder how much that spurs game changed him.

Last edited:
So...Preston have reached yet another play-off final. I know this is a few divisions below what most of you are interested in, but it's pretty huge to us PNE fans! I've been to three play-off finals: one at the old Wembley and two at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. Hopefully, next Sunday I will finally go to one we will win! Can't wait to go to the new Wembley too. It might be a few years since I had to give up my season ticket due to working weekends, but I'm still very excited that we might get promoted!

The play off's are pure football. Tactics go out the window and raw passion comes in its place. Look at Swindon v the blunts last night. The blunts would not be beaten and Swindon did everything to make sure they kept ahead. Balls to defending just keep scoring. Wish more games at the top of the PL would be like this. Imaging Chelsea and man city drawing 5-5. Instead off Chelsea going 1-0 within the first 10 followed by 80mins of city passing a football about.

Before working got in the way, when I wasn't tied down to mortgage, I used to visit anfield every home game, and if they were away I would grace Oakwell Barnsley. The passion shown in the lower leagues is tremendous. and the joy off promotion over whelming.

Reactions: Amy
The table at Christmas:

CFJG_vrW0AAvK10.jpg

The table with only 9 games remaining:

CFJG_yUXIAAKUyk.jpg

The table with 1 game to go:

CFJG_ykWoAEIbi_.jpg

The greatest of great escapes has been completed. 5 wins, 1 draw and a defeat. 5 clean sheets in our last 6 games. Fifth in Europe's form table before yesterday. Simply incredible. If you beg to differ, you are an ostrich!

:)

I'm still amazed that you've managed to complete this great escape, Rob. I kinda feel obligated to congratulate you, but I'm more looking forward to returning to Leicester next season to beat you as revenge for that game in September. ;)

So for all those planning on going to the playoff final at Wembley, Be aware there is a strike on commencing from 5pm on Bank Holiday Monday till 5pm the next day.

So for all those planning on going to the playoff final at Wembley, Be aware there is a strike on commencing from 5pm on Bank Holiday Monday till 5pm the next day.
That's on the trains, for the record, and it's currently unclear as to how many trains will actually be running.

good old public transport. Not as if Norwich has any motorways to help their supporters. Or boro, m1/a1 is crap on a bank holiday. They know how to not get sympathy when striking dont they.