• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

It's debatable, but they do both have one common factor - Nigel Pearson.

I'm biased but I do think ours is the greatest because of the manner in which we did it. We were written off, everyone said we were dead and buried. "It's two plus Leicester" all the pundits said.

We failed to win key games in January, February and March. The moral of the team should have been wiped out but it never was. It all started with a late winner against West Ham and a last minute winner at West Brom. Then since those two games only Chelsea have scored against us. We have kept out Swansea, Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton and Sunderland. We won four Premier League games in a row for the first time in the club's history.

Not only that but we came from a position of certain relegation to safe with a game to spare. We were top of the Premier League form table and fifth in the European form table, one point behind Barcelona. For a team bottom of the Premier League, that is nothing other than remarkable.

What we have done these last couple of months eclipses our walking of the Championship last season.

:)

Look this is a truly great achievement for Leicester but as a great escape there is one more to talk about this year. Hartlepool United, they were dead a buried at one point and have dragged themselves out of their to keep there league place.

Michael van Praag has withdrawn from the race to become FIFA president, leaving Luis Figo and Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein as Sepp Blatter's only challengers. Makes me wonder how long it'll be until the other two withdraw, leaving Sepp Blatter to run unopposed at the election next week...

Jamie Vardy in the England squad. Wonferful! And what an achievement for someone who was playing non-league football only a few years ago.

:)

Back to the England call up thing

CFiNOKWXIAAgZUk.jpg

Bravo Roy *slow claps*

Puncheon's been very good this season. Maybe if he transferred to a bigger club, he'd get selected for England. And therein lies the problem!

England are never going to get anywhere because club always comes before country. There was hope when England made the European U21 final in 2009 but got battered 4-0 by Germany, 6 of the players in that squad were in the World Cup winning squad last year. However the difference is that nearly 60% (I think) of players in the Bundesliga are German, and La Liga are Spanish. Compare that to the Premier League where it's only about 35% English.

There is more focus on securing lucrative TV deals and clubs making a profit than developing young English players to succeed for their club and country.

Why would a club want to develop players to be good for England?

Clubs want the best players they can get for their own benefit, and rightly so.

If English players aren't good enough, that's no one's fault but England. Blaming foreign players or whatever is just a convenient excuse for the FA to continue to neglect grass roots and lower league football, and for clubs to have poor academies.

But I still don't get why people care about international football at all. It's nothing but a distraction from club football.

Playing for England means nothing because their are too many Friendly's, and even if the game mean something (I.e qualification's) they are just jumped up Friendly's. If you playing for a title winning side, why would you get as excited about playing against San Marino.

The reason why English football is failing is because yes they are too many foreign players in the PL, and also the championship is getting this way. How are you as a 16/17/18 year old able to get experience playing in the u21's. Or in the Barnsley side. When was the last time Chelsea/ Man City/ arsenal fetched a good British Teenager through. That was English. They buy young foreign players to play in their U21's. Then they buy good young English talent to sit on their bench's Scott Sinclair/Jack Rodwell etc.

Last point, kids these days are signed by clubs too young. At the School I volunteer at their kids there that play at local clubs and because of this they cant play for the school team or the local team they played with before. How are you supposed to grow as a footballer, if you are not playing at every opportunity. Steven Gerrard as said that the best experience he got at a young age was playing at the local park against kids a few years older then him. They don't get that exposer now its five aside, not very often. Get them playing.

Crystal Palace have secured a top 10 finish after beating Swansea 1-0. Congratulations to them.

And I'm happy with United finishing in fourth, which I would say was our target for this season. We're back in Europe, but have a play-off in August to reach the group stages. I'm just glad we're back in Europe tbh!

I really hope you make some decent signings over the summer, Dan - Newcastle cannot keep on going like they have over the second half of this season.

Congrats on going up, Amy! I'm delighted for you that Preston have broken their play off curse :p

What a final day though! Stoke demolishing Liverpool 6-1, Leicester battering QPR 5-1, Guiterrez saving Newcastle not long after recovering from testicular cancer, and lots of other goals elsewhere! Despite there not being much to play for, it was so hectic and amazing it was very enjoyable!

And then there's Palace. What a season we've had. Pulis going, the whole Mackay/Moody saga, getting Warnock in who was awful, then replacing him with Pardew who has done an unbelievable job getting us back on track. We played brilliantly in 2015 and even better than we did under Pulis in 13/14. We are a team, and the bond between Palace players, the club, and the fans is strong enough that it will take something big for it to be broken.

My personal highlights of the season were:

-Liverpool at home and Mile Jedinak's free kick.
-Dover away in the cup
-Spurs at home (which I didn't go to unfortunately)
-Southampton away in the cup
-West Ham away
-QPR at home
-City at home and seeing Jason Puncheon's free kick
-Sunderland away and seeing Bolasie scoring an 11 minute hattrick!
-Liverpool away with another brilliant free kick by Puncheon
-Swansea at home today to see us finish in the top half of the table.

CFyEn_1WYAEfGN6.jpg:large

Roll on next season.