• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Manchester City have announced that at the end of the season Pellegrini will be leaving, with Guardiola replacing him. Obviously, Pep's a fantastic manager but I would like to see him go to a club which requires him to actually build a squad, he does tend to go for the safe option.

So Lerner has proven again he hasn't got a clue.

Another manager left to hang out to dry by our appalling board/owner.

Remi seems to have something about him, and no doubt Arsene's ear if he needs advice. He's dignified and seems very professional.

He took us to a 5 unbeaten run, given this season is like a miracle.

We offloaded Vlaar, flogged Delph and Benteke and bought in a million players, one of which, Amavi, who is actually very decent, is injured.

But even so, it didn't replace the core of the team.

Vlaar, Delph, Benteke.

Replaced with, well, no one, basically. Ayew looks decent, needs time, but these signings should have been bought to STRENGTHEN the effing team, not replace BETTER or more Premier quality players.

All in the season with the giant TV deal.

Lerner, you are an idiot.

94aeed705f2e980d6b392d98611ced06.jpg

Got a funny feeling Garde may walk.

Welcome the joke that's VP Remi.

Run by people with no effing clue about football.

Christ we're awful...

Clearly you weren't around when Peter Taylor was manager...

If you look at Pardew's records, his teams ALWAYS do this... It's actually quite strange really if you think about it...

Besides, a competent ref would've made a lot of difference... Again...

Clearly you weren't around when Peter Taylor was manager...

Not saying we're as bad now as we were then ;) I suppose it's just disappointment considering Dann's goal last night was our first in the league since Chungy's wonder goal against Stoke and we have been on a dreadful run as of late. Bolasie getting injured certainly hasn't helped...

And Wickham (injury and suspension)
And Sako
And Cabaye
And Ledley
And Gayle

Plus several players not performing to the same levels as beforehand, namely Puncheon... Just shows really how weak the squad is beyond a first 11, which is has been for years granted moreso than anything...

Not like it's playing that badly either, just all that luck that was going our way earlier in the season has deserted us... But then again last night was more frustrating due to the ineptitude of the ref missing about 3 elbows and completely losing control of the game... The difference between Zaha's attacks in the last 10 minutes of the match showed you what could be if defenders were booked much earlier in the game when they've fouled him about 5 times...

@Benzin I think this tweet sums up the refereeing in last night's game https://twitter.com/GIFS_CPFC/status/694929993353281536

To be fair, we have played much better recently. And to tell you the truth, my post last night was written more out of frustration then anything else. We haven't had a whole lot of luck since the turn of the year, what with playing Chelsea just as they started to finally give a damn, and then a ridiculously good City and Spurs sides. However the Villa game left me fuming that we lost to them, especially after we played pretty well against Saints in the cup the previous weekend and it was just a shambles. We did alright against Stoke on Saturday, even if there we had Mark Twattenburg as our ref...

I'd argue that Pardew is a patchy manager who struggles massively with strikers. I think he's lost his head a bit as he's now blaming the ref. 5 losses in a row is not down to the referees.

Vardy's goal was an absolutely beauty I would agree with that, however goal of the season it is not, as some pundits have been saying. I hope Lineker calling it 'goal of the decade' was tongue-in-cheek. For me, Alli's against Palace is the best I've seen so far this season.

He's not doing a Warnock really though, pointing out that in the past week there's been about 2 potential red cards for denying goal scoring opportunities, then the rough treatment of Cabaye and Zaha through several games without so much as a foul... There's the inconsistency that annoys everyone when sometimes two tackles is a red when the week before a player got away with 4 fouls and his captain told to sub him off before sending off...

Whilst the awful defending isn't the refs fault, players getting away without bookings early in the game does affect it, especially with a player like Zaha who does have a short fuse or gets moody...

That the Stoke game last week was one of the first we've won under Clattenburg says a lot, and even then he got a few decisions wrong...

I've seen a few news stories this evening saying that Manchester United have held talks with Jose Mourinho, or representatives of Mourinho, with regard to him succeeding Louis van Gaal as manager at the end of the season. One or two people have said this is only happening due to Pep Guardiola going to Manchester City at the end of the season - this being United's response. If it's true that these talks have been happening, then I can only hope that LvG is fully aware that they're going on. If I were LvG and I found out that this stuff had been going on behind my back, I think I'd feel quite disgusted and betrayed. Still, if it does happen, then we could be in for a treat. I just hope it's all above board and LvG knows it's going on if these meetings have indeed happened.

I'm not sure if LVG really cares anymore to be honest, and the rumours of Mourinho started the second he left Chelsea. I personally don't think we were ever in for Guardiola and the plan was for Giggs to take over from LVG after his 3 years, which he seems very unlikely to see out. I think Giggs definitely needs to go out and manage another club before taking on the United job first otherwise we'll be in even deeper trouble.

Mourinho is a winner but a short-term replacement. He comes in for a season or two, wins something while working his players to the point where they have nothing left (look at Matic & Hazard this season) and then moves on. We need something long term but who really is there? Pochettino is the only proven Premier League manager I can really think of who could become available but then again, he's not actually won anything yet despite how well he's been doing.

The situation with United isn't drastic though. Despite LVG spending a lot of money, there are a handful of good players which have been bought with years ahead of them (Shaw, Martial, Blind, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Herrera and potentially Depay if he adjusts). What worries me is our youth academy which is failing, yet City's is thriving, and I thought LVG was very pro-youth.

Because a trophyless 2015/16 season would mean our third consecutive, I think Mourinho is very likely to be managing MUFC next season.

----

On another note. I must have a pop at Arsenal and their fans. The most expensive tickets in the country, only 2 trophies (and they were FA Cups) since 2004 and a manager who is stubborn and out of his depth but somehow bulletproof. And now they're looking like they're going to bottle their best chance of winning the league since 2004. It's not good enough for a club like Arsenal. Their expectations should be higher.