• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

So happy we beat Spurs and we've got Reading away in the quarters! Should be a cracking tie! :D

Manchester City should be ashamed of themselves putting out a team of such inexperience.

Chelsea fully deserved the win.

Obviously it's clear, but I would now laugh hard if they fail to win that too.

If Barcelona don't win the Champions League then Bayern will. Can't see Madrid winning it. Manchester City have no chance!

:)

I doubt City will even win the Premier League this season, never mind the Champions League. It seems their players aren't motivated ever since they announced Pep is coming.

It was a strange time to do so. Everyone knew it was going to happen so on one hand I understood the need to just get it out there so all the rumours stop, but on the other it's given the current squad an excuse to ease off a bit as they know Pellegrini won't be there next season and the results since are proving that.

City can put out whatever team they want. They haven't brought shame on anyone. I think the fact Warnock is still to this day bitter about Liverpool fielding a weakened team in a match Sheffield United weren't involved with and blaming it on them going down rather than their failings over a whole season is one of my favourite things that have ever happened in football. You do what you think is best for your team.

A team of Manchester City's resources could field a stronger team than a bunch of teenagers...

It's a poor excuse from a manager who knows he's leaving and the players are performing as such... As a fan, I would hate to see Palace not bother to win a cup...

It's a poor excuse from a manager who knows he's leaving and the players are performing as such... As a fan, I would hate to see Palace not bother to win a cup...
Ever since Pardew became manager he has taken the cup seriously and even against Dover we had a pretty strong side.

I was at Old Trafford last night to watch the game against FC Midtjylland with @Danny. First half was rather poor in places, and Mata's weak penalty didn't help matters very much at all. I don't think either of us were terribly impressed with Marcus Rashford, who was going all over the place, and not managing to get his head to meet crosses terribly well. When Midtjylland scored to make it 3-1 on aggregate, we were sat there thinking 'Right. That's us out', and I actually said to Danny that I didn't see us coming back from that at all. Not long after, an own goal was scored to make it 1-1 on the night and 3-2 to Midtjylland on aggregate. And then, in the second half, everything got so much better. Marcus Rashford was brilliant, scoring twice at the Stretford End to give us the overall lead. If you're going to make your mark at United on your debut when being drafted in from the substitutes bench at the last minute due to an injury sustained by Anthony Martial, then you can't do much better than scoring twice at the Stretford End! Herrera's penalty was well-struck, and Memphis getting the final goal was a great way to cap off what had at first been a rather nervy night. And our reward is a two-leg tie in March against Liverpool, so that's going to be a lot of fun. After what I said following Midtjylland's goal, I think I'll go and eat some humble pie. :p

The first half was some very poor foreplay, the second half was when the players really expressed themselves in a horny way.

This is MUFC's best shot at a place in the Champions League, sadly.

Marcus Rashford - take a bow, son. Four goals scored in two games - same number of goals scored as Falcao managed in 29 for us. Plus an assist against Arsenal yesterday. Simply unbelievable!

Not many highlights for Utd fans this season but the young players are defo something to look forward to
Probably the best group of youngsters in Europe imo

This is MUFC's best shot at a place in the Champions League, sadly.
Joint 4th currently? Now the drop in form for City, Arsenal, Spurs and (sorry @Rob) Leicester, the momentum is finally with us! Its all about form this stage of the season, we've seen it so many times. Its unfortunate United always do things the hard way.
Anyway... My point is, top 4 is very realistic; way more realistic than winning the Europa League IMHO.
Such quality coming through the youth too. I was at the arsenal game at the weekend; the performance has transformed the fans! we've been waiting over 12 months for some fight/passion & it finally came through the most unlikely sources. It's refreshing and it certainly wasn't expected, making it all the sweeter.

Joint 4th currently? Now the drop in form for City, Arsenal, Spurs and (sorry @Rob) Leicester, the momentum is finally with us! Its all about form this stage of the season, we've seen it so many times. Its unfortunate United always do things the hard way.
Anyway... My point is, top 4 is very realistic; way more realistic than winning the Europa League IMHO.
Such quality coming through the youth too. I was at the arsenal game at the weekend; the performance has transformed the fans! we've been waiting over 12 months for some fight/passion & it finally came through the most unlikely sources. It's refreshing and it certainly wasn't expected, making it all the sweeter.

I know. The top 4 is full of teams with no bottle at the moment which has greatly benefited Man United's chances of getting back into it. Leicester and arguably Spurs would have never imagined they would be in this position so you can excuse them but I don't know what Arsenal and City are doing. With the squad those two have, one of those teams should be out of sight by now however the former are stuck with a manager who has been in decline for a decade and the latter is a team in a bit of a mess now (at least for the remainder of this season) with a manager leaving and unmotivated squad. However, with 30 points left to play for there are many twists still to come no doubt.

It's a really odd situation with LVG and MUFC. He's known for bringing through youth but he's had his hand forced recently with so many injuries, but it's actually benefit us greatly. Young players, not devoid of confidence and not afraid to take risks as they want to prove themselves is exactly what United need, risk takers. What a difference a few weeks makes, especially after that loss in Denmark. Would never have thought we'd be back in the fight for a top four spot given how we were playing a few weeks back.