• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

I just found it odd that there never seemed to be a direct chat between the ref and the VAR saying what had been given on the pitch. Only time offside was indicated was by the assistant referee when the goal was disallowed.

Oddly until they managed to give the wrong decision it was a really good look at how well VAR actually works in live situations.

Even something like - "check complete, goal Liverpool, Diaz onside" would be clear to everyone. In this instance, the on field ref simply hears "check complete" and gets on with the game as instructed to do so.

I get that England was left stuck between a rock and a hard place once the game had been re-started and was made aware of his error. But I think the laws of the game would have forgiven the officials had they got the game stopped 30 seconds later and attempted to resolve the situation. Sure they'd still be getting stick for the initial mistake, but they would also have been praised for showing initiative and ensuring the right outcome was reached.

In the end, it was just panic. Seems somewhat ironic that it appears they refer to Darren England as Daz....

daz_template-png.6957

Even something like - "check complete, goal Liverpool, Diaz onside" would be clear to everyone. In this instance, the on field ref simply hears "check complete" and gets on with the game as instructed to do so.

I get that England was left stuck between a rock and a hard place once the game had been re-started and was made aware of his error. But I think the laws of the game would have forgiven the officials had they got the game stopped 30 seconds later and attempted to resolve the situation. Sure they'd still be getting stick for the initial mistake, but they would also have been praised for showing initiative and ensuring the right outcome was reached.

In the end, it was just panic. Seems somewhat ironic that it appears they refer to Darren England as Daz....

daz_template-png.6957

I watched a game a couple of weeks back from the Bundesliga and VAR changed it mind. Ball played through player goes down in box. VAR checks. Was a player offside in build up .free kick taken. Ball goes out, ref is instructed to wait and VAR checks.again. penalty given. Ref explains to everyone and it's taken. So it can happen to check again

The Germans are efficient though.

I wouldn't trust most of our officials to organise a drinking contest in a brewery.

With the transport in mind the following stadiums will be used

Stamford Bridge
Emirates
Tottenham
Wembley

And they in negotiations for a stadium in the north. Vicarage road.

Have to say he's wrong on this one.

Edit:

In fairness though the full quote is this:-

" speaking not as the manager of Liverpool but as a football person I think the only outcome should be a replay. That's how it is, [although that] probably will not happen." (9:55 on the below video)

From: https://www.youtube.com/live/zTA0_jRa-KM?si=xkDooM3EU0S2B2HX

It's going to be one of things where the public will get half the information and will just flip. I've just listened to the full thing and it's nothing like what the BBC have reported. Think he's speaking from from a prospective of being a fan of football. He later explains the legality of the situation if replayed and talks about how it should be resolved there and then.

Last edited:
Yeah but logical Klopp doesn't sell headlines.

Bit of the old Ferguson mind games though. Refs will be doing a lot more pondering under the lights at Anfield.

So the 2030 World Cup will be hosted by Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Spain, Portugal and Morocco. What the fudge?!
So the World Cup gets hosted by either murderous regimes or unnecessary bizarre groups of nations, what's wrong with hosting it in one country that already has the stadiums and doesn't think gay people should be killed?

So the 2030 World Cup will be hosted by Uruguay, Argentina, Paraguay, Spain, Portugal and Morocco. What the fudge?!
So the World Cup gets hosted by either murderous regimes or unnecessary bizarre groups of nations, what's wrong with hosting it in one country that already has the stadiums and doesn't think gay people should be killed?
That's really gone under the radar, first I've heard of it. Not a fan of this at all, and I assume this will be the new normal for future world cups.

That's really gone under the radar, first I've heard of it. Not a fan of this at all, and I assume this will be the new normal for future world cups.

The cost of hosting the thing is becoming to much for so many countries now

Look at the mess Greece and Brazil got itself into hosting the Olympics and a major football tournament.

The last world cup proved it's now just a showcase for sports washing.

Conveniently this, alongside 2026 being in north America means the only place that can bid for 2034 is Asia and Oceania. So it'll be Saudi Arabia then.

Or China. If they to like football again.

I did read somewhere Indonesia were looking to bid for it. I mean wtf.

Conveniently this, alongside 2026 being in north America means the only place that can bid for 2034 is Asia and Oceania. So it'll be Saudi Arabia then.
All comes down to who pays the biggest bribes and provides the best freebies for the selectors, nothing to do with continental rotation.
Uruguay paid the most this time.
The expected venting and shouting about the farce has now started on the sports pages and on the news.

Aren't they only doing the first 3 games in South America to celebrate the 100th anniversary (allegedly)?

Probably should've just kept it in Uruguay if they wanted to make a proper thing of that. Doubt that makes FIFA money though. But we'll be seeing lots more joint bids for tournaments because unless you're run by oil sheiks and have to pay workers living wages it's simply unaffordable.

PSG got absolutely rinsed in Oil Classico. Longer they don't win that cup the better.