• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

So Raith Rovers will face Ross County in the play-off final next week for a place in the top flight for the first time since 1997...potentially a historic time for us. Wish us luck.

If someone told me Palace would finish 10th this season I would've told them to stop talking such bull and hold off on the pills.

Glasner has done something ridiculous with that squad. Hopefully we keep them all together for at least one season.

So Raith Rovers will face Ross County in the play-off final next week for a place in the top flight for the first time since 1997...potentially a historic time for us. Wish us luck.
Good luck mate.
Your occasionally dour tartan humorous perspective always tickles me, you smoky old crow.
I will follow with interest, it is amusing how you can follow almost any match now with radio over t'internet.

Nice day at Anfield, a win and a lovely send off for Jurgen. Been a great 9 years. So many memories of games, goals, trophies, trips following the Reds. Definitely leaves the club in a much stronger position than the broken mess it was in Autumn 2015, with Anfields capacity increased from 45k to 61k, and the brand new training facilities in Kirkby.

Glad of a few months of not having to think about football now, it's prime rollercoaster season of course, and then it's time to go again with Arne Slot. (I've decided to call him the Slot Man for now)

Was listening to 606 on way back from anfield yesterday. The biggest thing coming through was, nobody gave a shite that city had won the league. Even pep sounded like it was all a bit, meh.

The supporters were trying to give it the "it's an unbelievable achievement, best team Europe because we had a better shots on target stat than Real Madrid" but everything they do, will be tainted by the fact, that they are owned by a state and the 115 charges. Looking at Pep, I think he knows it.

I saw Klopp leave Liverpool yesterday. A man who didn't win as much as Pep. At least for a period, made the city actually work for it. Other wise we are sat here, with them winning 7 on the bounce. I have a feeling deep down, Pep wishes he had what klopp had at Liverpool. We welcome a bus pre game, better than they welcome a title.

Let's talk about the premier league as a package. It's poor. We have a side dominating and 3 sides that, if it wasn't for forests points deduction, would have been relegated weeks ago. The standard of refereeing both on and in the VAR booth is poor. This is no longer the package that made the world switch on. It's just slowly become like all the other European leagues. Dominated by a club whilst the others get poorer. My hope, we look at making VAR more efficient pointless scrapping it. Bring in the 3D model for offsides. It's quicker and clearer than lines. Vote through the plan to restrict spending to income. Let's hear what is going on with these 115 charges. Let's make sure it's water tight, so we are not sat here In 2 years time, seeing city win 6 on the bounce, thanks to a lawyer.

To mirror @John_P what a way to send Jürgen and his back room staff off. I doubt we will see managers leave any club in this way. He made us all smile. The season is done now. I can have a break from having football dominating how I plan a weekend.

@Benzin Im glad you can get excited for that. I just can't anymore.

Let's talk about the premier league as a package. It's poor. We have a side dominating and 3 sides that, if it wasn't for forests points deduction, would have been relegated weeks ago. The standard of refereeing both on and in the VAR booth is poor. This is no longer the package that made the world switch on. It's just slowly become like all the other European leagues. Dominated by a club whilst the others get poorer. My hope, we look at making VAR more efficient pointless scrapping it. Bring in the 3D model for offsides. It's quicker and clearer than lines. Vote through the plan to restrict spending to income. Let's hear what is going on with these 115 charges. Let's make sure it's water tight, so we are not sat here In 2 years time, seeing city win 6 on the bounce, thanks to a lawyer.
Come on now, lets get real here regarding the Premiership.
It is now nothing but a huge business, and the single league dominates all the rest of the League, and redistribution of some of the wealth generated smacks of tokenism.
You can't say just City dominate...every last one of the teams coming up last year, has gone down again at the end of the season...they have little chance or hope of staying up.
Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man Utd have all got poorer have they???
Nope.
City has has an unfair advantage, absolutely, FFP is a complete bloody mess, VAR should be scrapped...but to say it is all a City problem is a little unfair...I think you might just have a rather biased individual perspective on the matter!

Reactions: D4n
Come on now, lets get real here regarding the Premiership.
It is now nothing but a huge business, and the single league dominates all the rest of the League, and redistribution of some of the wealth generated smacks of tokenism.
You can't say just City dominate...every last one of the teams coming up last year, has gone down again at the end of the season...they have little chance or hope of staying up.
Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Newcastle and Man Utd have all got poorer have they???
Nope.
City has has an unfair advantage, absolutely, FFP is a complete bloody mess, VAR should be scrapped...but to say it is all a City problem is a little unfair...I think you might just have a rather biased individual perspective on the matter!

That might be the case. I would say the supporters now need to make a stand against the greed, is it biased, possibly, but it's also the truth. They have laughed at FFP rules whilst other have done there up most to stick with them. I'm sure Newcastle state owners would love to do the same, but are holding back and towing the line. As I stated in my post, I am very for the league voting to restrict spending to TV revenue. I have mentioned on previous posts about clubs, despite the millions earned in TV and commercial deals. Still making those sat in stands, pay far to much for a seat. Twenty is plenty. City, 6% ticket increase, despite owning more money than anyone. Spurs scrapping concession prices for the pensioners. United fans paying over inflated prices, to sit in a building that last week turned into a water fall. Even my club Liverpool, putting theirs up by 2%, without consulting the supporters, who they vowed they would. 2% will earn the club an £2million. We are now in the Champions league. Surely the club could do with out such a pittance in profit?

That bell that's now at united, wanting us, the tax payer to build them a "wembley of the north." Your are a billionaire pal at a commercial dominated club.
You can build it yaself.

I'm sure @John_P knows about FSG's greed aswell. It has become very obvious that they would love to do away with season tickets. Despite living off the atmosphere of the Kop and anfield. They would love nothing more than to put every ticket on general sale. Season ticket holders don't spend in the club shop, would rather go to the pubs around the ground and buy merch from hat scarf or a badge or love follow conquer.

Yes I am biased. Show me a football supporter who isn't biased. Or hypocritical towards their own side. Non of it hides the fact, that the premier league allowed states and billionaires to buy it's football clubs and not have the guts to put in better controls to keep the league competitive.l, or to stop them throwing money on players. Only for the clubs to be ruined financially (Everton and forest)As to say city aren't dominating. 6 titles in 7 years would suggest overwise, with only a lawyer stopping them being banned from European football. Something very wrong In this sport, when a crowd chants a lawyers name.

As for the 3 that came up. Luton and the dee dars vastly over achieved last season. As for Burnley. A lesson should be learnt to not over rely on your managers former employers loaning out good young players to you and then pulling the plug when you come up. I would say Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds/saints have a better chance of staying up next year, than those 3 ever did. Better coaches. Plus, I'm sure the 3 going down will be fine with parachute payments and the TV money earned this. Which brings up my other point, it's the play off final next week end. Which is billed as the biggest prize in English football. That says more.

Brighton and Brentford have shown the way to keep your club up, with clever transfer strategies and common sense business strategy. It can be done

The PL is begining to eat itself. Non league clubs are seeing attendance grow. The poor standard of officiating and lack of diversity in title winners is slowly making the product dull. More of that money needs to filter down. It's ok to scrap FA cup replays in my eyes, but I would like to see the lower league clubs compensated for the income that has been taken away from that avenue.

Last edited:
Armstrong won 7 on the bounce, and remains a very wealthy man, with around fifty million quid in his back pocket.
He stopped complaining years ago...took the money and ran...or cycled.

I'm sure @John_P knows about FSG's greed aswell. It has become very obvious that they would love to do away with season tickets. Despite living off the atmosphere of the Kop and anfield. They would love nothing more than to put every ticket on general sale. Season ticket holders don't spend in the club shop, would rather go to the pubs around the ground and buy merch from hat scarf or a badge or love follow conquer.
I've been on the season ticket waiting list for 22 years now, but at the top level of football they really do feel like an anacronism. Definitely something that wouldn't exist if you were creating top flight football today.

I do think the idea of season ticket holders putting nothing else into the club is a bit of a myth though, I'll usually spend £100 or so in the club store each year whether that's for me or Xmas and birthday presents. Been good under Klopp as the New Balance and Nike training ranges usually had something decent each year. The Kop Bar full every game as well. Plus the concourses in places like the kop (which is predominantly season tickets) always has a massive bar queue.

I've been on the season ticket waiting list for 22 years now, but at the top level of football they really do feel like an anacronism. Definitely something that wouldn't exist if you were creating top flight football today.

I do think the idea of season ticket holders putting nothing else into the club is a bit of a myth though, I'll usually spend £100 or so in the club store each year whether that's for me or Xmas and birthday presents. Been good under Klopp as the New Balance and Nike training ranges usually had something decent each year. The Kop Bar full every game as well. Plus the concourses in places like the kop (which is predominantly season tickets) always has a massive bar queue.

I'm not saying that dont put a little in, a supporter on a day trip would put hundreds more a match day in. For me and a few I've spoken to. They get my membership renewal and ticket money. That's it. I can't justify to myself forking out in club shop. Plus, I like the stuff the independent shops put out.

FSG have tried to shut down the little fella's. Who can forget them trying to copyright the word Liverpool.

True but his titles are gone. And so should Man Cities.

I'm not comfortable with the titles being stripped. Twice against Liverpool and this with arsenal
They have won against the odds and by small margins on the field. John Stones clearing a ball off the line by 0.2mm as an example. But to strip them would give us the league twice. I can't celebrate that. We can't celebrate that and klopp, I doubt would want that. To given leagues years later. Meh.

But they should be punished for how they have achieved it and things in place to protect the sporting integrity of the competition. The only real punishment, is banish them down the leagues and transfer embargoes.

I'm not comfortable with the titles being stripped. Twice against Liverpool and this with arsenal
They have won against the odds and by small margins on the field. John Stones clearing a ball off the line by 0.2mm as an example. But to strip them would give us the league twice. I can't celebrate that. We can't celebrate that and klopp, I doubt would want that. To given leagues years later. Meh.

But they should be punished for how they have achieved it and things in place to protect the sporting integrity of the competition. The only real punishment, is banish them down the leagues and transfer embargoes.

I kind of agree. For me you don’t give the title to someone else. Like you say that moments gone. But the records could be stripped - so no winner is shown - ‘Not Awarded’ - like the records now show with Juventus.

And yes re relegation but realistically they can only relegate them to the Championship.

I kind of agree. For me you don’t give the title to someone else. Like you say that moments gone. But the records could be stripped - so no winner is shown - ‘Not Awarded’ - like the records now show with Juventus.

And yes re relegation but realistically they can only relegate them to the Championship.

They've set a bar with Everton, Forest and Leicester. They have to go through with it. Unfortunately, because of the amount of charges and the resources of city owners could take years

Was only the second time in a long time that all 3 promoted clubs were relegated. Sheffield United lost their 2 half decent players, Burnley showed that you need to change tack even after blowing the league away and Luton had zero expectations and with some more luck in some games might have even stayed up.

@Slugjc what do you mean you're not excited by the prospect of Southgate picking Henderson and Rice in a double midfield pivot?

Was only the second time in a long time that all 3 promoted clubs were relegated. Sheffield United lost their 2 half decent players, Burnley showed that you need to change tack even after blowing the league away and Luton had zero expectations and with some more luck in some games might have even stayed up.

@Slugjc what do you mean you're not excited by the prospect of Southgate picking Henderson and Rice in a double midfield pivot?
But usually one or two clubs do the quick fall.
And some teams, like Norwich and Sunderland, are experts at the yoyo.