• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Scott said:
What makes 'oh when the...' or 'you're not singing' or 'your grounds too big for you' unoriginal anyway? Thats similar to me saying something like 'You've been singing 'you'll never walk alone' for decades now, how boring and bland to do that every week...'

I believe that any song sung by a large group of fans creates atmosphere. Would you rather grounds were silent? Or that clubs could only have one song sung for 90 minutes? In fact, why don't we go back to the days of black and white television where every fan waves hats and those wooden clacker board things...

I do not understand your problem at all Blaze if I'm honest.
You'll Never Walk Alone is our song, no one else sings it (apart from Celtic). But the likes of "when the... go marching in" and "and it's... they're by far the best team the world has ever seen" are sung by everyone. That's what's unoriginal about them.

The way it's going every song will be to the tune of Chelsea's racist "you know what you are" chant, or as it's now better known "He scores when he wants". And that's even worse.

Just because they're unoriginal doesn't make them boring or cringeworthy. There's original songs cropping up all the time but obviously the popular ones will overshadow because they're known by larger swathes of fans... Anyway, has there ever been a time when you wouldn't have found football cringeworthy? Because I'm pretty sure any era would be full of these things which you list, or at least elements of them.

Take me back to the 60s and 70s, even the 80s if it wasn't for the racism. No money, no sponsors, no clowns, no #LFCFAMILY, no plastic flags, none of this:
A086_z.jpg

By Blaze's definitions, it must mean the Holmesdale Fanatics are the best fans in the country, as they have original flags, and have created/brought in from overseas new songs... (Personally, my favourite new chant is "GET MORITZ FOR THE LADS" which is quite frankly brilliant and so English)

There's room for the classic chants and new ones... Indeed, the classics such as "X Manager's Colour of Team Army" should never be forgotten, as that in itself can produce just as good an atmosphere as some of the newer ones... Indeed I remember a play-off final where "Red and Blue Army" was sung for the last 10 minutes of the game and it was a proverbial wall of noise...

As for that shirt, that is vile, nearly as bad as those people who wear an entire kit out on the street (I don't mind a football shirt only, but to wear shorts AND socks? Please)...

What defines 'modern football' though? The tourists? The plastics? The vast amounts of money put into it? If it bothers you that much perhaps going back to the roots and lower leagues (or indeed, non league) is an avenue to take (Apart from Brighton, though half of them support Liverpool anyways)...

Its so stupid how much racism football brings. Most stadiums now have CCTV cameras above all the stands. Most grounds should do it. Take out the racist and disruptive fans.

Adam said:
hobohippie95 said:
Adam said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20679867

Excellent news. I really hope more clubs start supporting this scheme, the sooner we see standing areas in the top flight the better. :)

Couldn't disagree more, I prefer all seaters

Care to elaborate why? :)

I believe they are safer, more family friendly, let's face it how many kids who are into footy would want to be on their feet for 90 minutes? The crowds are easier to control as well.

hobohippie95 said:
If people want to stand, they can do so now, there's no need to change things

No they can't stand, There's signs in most football stadiums that prohibit standing. If we were really allowed to stand throughout 90 minutes of match, do you really think we'd make a campaign like this? Good grief

hobohippie95 said:
Adam said:
hobohippie95 said:
Adam said:

Excellent news. I really hope more clubs start supporting this scheme, the sooner we see standing areas in the top flight the better. :)

I believe they are safer, more family friendly, let's face it how many kids who are into footy would want to be on their feet for 90 minutes? The crowds are easier to control as well.

Under the proposals, there'd be both stands and seating, it's not like 100% of the seats would be turned into stands. Also, as I kid I loved going in the terraces at Glanford Park, so much better than sitting on some crappy plastic seat for 90 minutes! :p

As for the crowd control bit, what sort of killjoy are you? ;) I only sit down when made to by the fascist stewards, which luckily only exist at a few away grounds I've been to, and hope this ends up in English clubs introducing proper stands a la Dortmund! :p

Adam said:
hobohippie95 said:
Adam said:
hobohippie95 said:
Adam said:

Under the proposals, there'd be both stands and seating, it's not like 100% of the seats would be turned into stands. Also, as I kid I loved going in the terraces at Glanford Park, so much better than sitting on some crappy plastic seat for 90 minutes! :p

As for the crowd control bit, what sort of killjoy are you? ;) I only sit down when made to by the fascist stewards, which luckily only exist at a few away grounds I've been to, and hope this ends up in English clubs introducing proper stands a la Dortmund! :p

I'm still not convinced, anyways, whats wrong with the current system?

What's wrong? How about the fact English grounds are some of the most sterilisied in the world? How can fans generate an atmosphere with some damn steward moaning at them? Families should be in the family stand, and things like flares, standing etc shouldn't just be allowed, but encouraged in the home end. The Germans have got it right, shame we haven't. (yet)

I'm certainly all for safe standing, I think it would really help to improve the atmosphere at games. 90% of the time I go to away games we end up standing and the atmosphere is always much better than when sitting down. Also safe standing is much safer than standing in seated areas, the other week when we played away at Sheffield Wednesday we scored out second goal and because of some drunk idiots around us standing in the gangways and so on everyone went piling forward falling over seats.

As for Arsenal tonight, oh dear oh dear!

:)

I don't see the problem in there being standing areas if they are made safe. To be honest hobo, nobody would be forcing you to go and stand on a terrace... The seated option would still be there.

Yeah I think that's the key point to the argument. You would have areas in stadia where people could stand, but still large areas of seating. I reckon a good way to implement it would have say one end of a stadium as safe standing, and the rest seated. Then in the away end have it half safe standing and half seating so that away fans also get a choice. It keeps everyone happy. The amount of times I've been to away games where some want to stand but others want to sit, and people start moaning at each other.

:)

Generally at away games the majority of the fans stand anyway... Any away match that I have been to, standing has just happened all game. Usually the top 50% stand and the bottom 50% sit. With these 'safe standing' seats anyway, whichever area of the stadium gets them implemented can still be used as a seated area - which makes them (and the end of the ground which is transformed) very versatile!