• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Again, we didn't deserve it. We again gave the ball away too often and there were little signs of chemistry together as a team and edginess as the back. Carroll looked more promising than Rooney to be honest.

I could see Italy being a good challenge and a winnable one.

Rooney nearly had 3! I'm so glad he played though, he has been missing game time & will now be ready for Italy.

Rooney was absolutely awful! The goal was luck to be honest, apart from that he was terrible... I'll forgive him though thanks to £2 Carlsberg's and the fact we won the group!

Without a doubt he was terrible, but without months of football, it's better he is terrible now than against Italy or Spain!

His touch was terrible throughout the game, but I do think he generally improved too.

I am still a believer that caroll would of missed Rooney's goal though :p

Why are England fans always so negative? We've won our group undefeated and this could be our best chance since '96 to win the Euros yet still there is so much moaning on here, the football forums I'm on and "You're on Sky Sports" right now it's unbelievable. Seriously, have some hope and be happy that we won our group.

Rooney didn't have his game and his goal wasn't exactly Van Basten's in 1988, but so what? It was his first game back and I'm 100% confident there are better things to come from him. We have played as a unit and, according to the numerous player interviews I've heard, the togetherness in the England camp is high and everyone is enjoying their time here.

I doubt we'll win the Euros, that's never stopped me dreaming.

We did what we needed to do and I'm happy with that. Gerrard was very impressive tonight I thought, and in my opinion Terry is having a very good tournament. Rooney may not have played that well but he was there for the goal and good strikers get themselves in those goalscoring positions.

A nice bit of justice there with Ukraine's goal that was over the line not being allowed! I really don't see the point in having these extra officials by the goals though, they never do anything!

We are definitely capable of beating Italy in the next round. And if we do that we will almost certainly be facing the Germans. Penalty shoot out defeat in the Semi-Finals anyone? :p

:)

It is a rather odd idea of justice that England fans have.

"I'd love to send you down for committing this burglary but our records show you yourself were burgled 2 years ago, so I find you not guilty"

Rob said:
We did what we needed to do and I'm happy with that. Gerrard was very impressive tonight I thought, and in my opinion Terry is having a very good tournament. Rooney may not have played that well but he was there for the goal and good strikers get themselves in those goalscoring positions.

A nice bit of justice there with Ukraine's goal that was over the line not being allowed! I really don't see the point in having these extra officials by the goals though, they never do anything!

We are definitely capable of beating Italy in the next round. And if we do that we will almost certainly be facing the Germans. Penalty shoot out defeat in the Semi-Finals anyone? :p

:)

The two linesmen had terrible games, absolutely awful. The one on the nearside missed two blatant offsides which could have lead to goals, one which would of had the behind the goal official done his job properly also. The ref should also have sent off Tymoschuk for several poor fouls.

All in all, it was a good result though. We deserved the win due to some very solid defensive work and a well worked goal.

Adz95 said:
that's never stopped me dreaming.
And most England fans haven't stopped either...

However, for this championship we have arguably our worst team in years and thus fans are being a bit more grounded with their expectations this time. Less expectations, less pressure on the teams' back. If we do beat Italy, I think the belief might rise some more.

Moley said:
It is a rather odd idea of justice that England fans have.

"I'd love to send you down for committing this burglary but our records show you yourself were burgled 2 years ago, so I find you not guilty"

In all honesty, Lampard's disallowed "goal" against Germany in the WC2010 was probably justice for the Germans after England's goal in the 1966 final.

Two consecutive tournaments England matches have been marred by controversy over goals not being awarded. It seems staggering how long it's taking to get the technology in that will prevent such situations. The fact that technically neither event directly affected the outcome of the match/group isn't really relevant.

Not an amazing performance from England, but still it's job done. Topping the group is a great result and anything else is a bonus really.

John said:
Two consecutive tournaments England matches have been marred by controversy over goals not being awarded. It seems staggering how long it's taking to get the technology in that will prevent such situations. The fact that technically neither event directly affected the outcome of the match/group isn't really relevant.

Not an amazing performance from England, but still it's job done. Topping the group is a great result and anything else is a bonus really.

It is relevant however that the whole thing shouldn't have occurred because the assister was offside when he received the ball in the first place.

The officials have generally been awful this tournament. Off sides have been missed completely. Yellow cards have been brandished unfairly or not shown at all The standard varies so much. It made Howard Webb look amazing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzF_IuFbWcM

Miles in, one of the easiest goal in modern football goal contraversies. England were poor, the Ukrainian's deserved it way more and the player wasn't offside either.

But what I'm more interested in this Emile Heskey being mentioned avast the Ukrainian commentary!

Stelios said:

Miles in, one of the easiest goal in modern football goal contraversies. England were poor, the Ukrainian's deserved it way more and the player wasn't offside either.

But what I'm more interested in this Emile Heskey being mentioned avast the Ukrainian commentary!

The officials were so oafish though that the two blatant errors evened themselves out. Ukraine didn't deserve to win, a draw at most which would have made no difference.

The Psychoaster said:
Stelios said:

The officials were so oafish though that the two blatant errors evened themselves out. Ukraine didn't deserve to win, a draw at most which would have made no difference.

I disagree, Ukraine always looked more promising before the goal and were together and could actually link their passes.

I do hope I am not on my own here.

Czech 3-1 Portugal One. Czech's to add spirit in the first half to shock the Portugese 2-0, the lead is held and added to in the 60th minute but Ronaldo's free-kick is too late to inspire a comback).

This totally won't happen.

Portugal 2 - 2 Czech
Portugal 3 - 4 Czech (On Penalties)

Me wanting Czech to win has effected my prediction but I can see this going to penalties. ;)