• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

1-0 GREEECE! :D

Greece are doing well holding Russia by intervening their heavy possession. Greece are getting the job done by surprising them every so often and the Rory Delap throw inspired Greece to awaken the sleeping Russia with a cracking goal. I can't help but thing Russia will be angry though. I'm hoping/thinking it'll stay 1-0 Greece!

Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:
No way in a million years he will go with 3 at the back!

Why shouldn't England play with 3 centre backs? It's not like we've got 2 good full backs and only 2 good centre backs? Cole is good going foward and infact used to play as a LW when he was younger, plus Johnson is, to put it nicely, sub standard.

I thought Johnson played quite well against Sweden, and whether Cole can play at LW or not he never does.

So what? Fabregas played as a central striker for Spain and scored. Regardless of whether or not Roy has the balls to experiment a more fluid and attacking formation, that is the line up I personally would select. On the basis that either Cole or Downing could play as LW, I'd much rather select an attacking left back that can dribble well, cross well and has bags of ability over a second rate left winger.

I know Fabregas played there but it was widely commented that it was a strange move and it's not one that any other team in the world could have the luxury to do. The quality of the midfield allowed Spain to get away with playing a midfielder up front, he got so much service that it's difficult not to score.

For England, on the other hand, playing 3 at the back would leave us incredibly exposed on the wings; something which you wouldn't want to do given Ukraine's threat from the left with Konoplankya. Our CB's aren't quick or mobile enough to make a 3 at the back system work. As much as Terry and Lescott are great centrebacks, they are not brilliant at moving across the backline to cover for the nonexistent fullbacks.

Lescott: Can play as a left back.
Either of the Phils: Can play as a right back.

Greece are somehow through... those of you that have me on Facebook may of known that I said I'd eat my own leg if Greece got through.

Well I'm screwed.

Greece were the team they once we, solid at the back and can hold a team well by intervening and get their chances from setpieces. They should of had a penalty unlike the Russian's feeble diving to get back into the game. It got extremely tense at the end and I apologise to PT, Ellie, Vicky and Georgiaa who had to hear me and my family celebrate on TTF Skype!

But now if we play Germany... we're out!

Adz95 said:
Lescott: Can play as a left back.
Either of the Phils: Can play as a right back.

Anyone could play as a leftback, doesn't mean they're very good at it or have played there in competition before. I'm just saying, only a few teams in the world could pull off playing 3 at the back - and those teams will have done it for a long, long time; not just implemented it off the cuff in an extremely important group-deciding game.

Shocked that Holland didn't even pick up a point. I had them down as winners, so to see my prediction go so badly wrong is horrible :c I also had Russia as runners-up, but I guess that failed.

So, Czech Republic vs Portugal and Greece vs Germany. Gotta be the two group B teams going through, right?

^ I think the Czech Republic will put up a good fight and scrape through on penalties. But Germany to beat Greece in the last 2 minted 2-1 with two own goals when the Greeks realise that they won't get their next bailout if they beat them.

Forgot my predictions, I was too busy actually watching Portugal play some football.

Not really fair to be honest - Germany get Greece in the quarters and Denmark get the Czech Republic, whereas we are likely to get Spain? Quarters should still be seeded IMO, it would make it more fair.

I agree, also while we're at it. Does anyone seem to get really bored with the ITV commentators as at least the BBC ones speculate to stop silence!

SLC said:
Germany getting Greece is pretty fair, a reward for finishing first in a tough group.

Yeah but Denmark who finished second get the Czech Republic, who are clearly significantly worse than Spain.

Scunthorpe start their season away at Derby in the COC, followed by away at Crawley in the league.

Tough test for Everton though, home to Man United at the first game of the season. Followed by away games at Villa and West Brom. Well tbh we always lose our opening game so it may as well be a game we're less likely to win anyway.

Atleast we ain't Liverpool though, first 3 homes game are both Manc clubs and Arsenal. ;D

Not happy at the fixture on my birthday (24th November). Was hoping to go to a Palace match with my mates to celebrate my birthday, but they're playing away to Leeds :|

Good to see another Palace fan on here :)

Palace start and finish with home matches which is always a bonus.

Fingers crossed we have another solid season, and build on last years.

Ian

Burnley, Derby and Notts Forest will all be tough games for us with three teams that are of the same quality for us. Let's hope Blackpool aren't gonna' relegate us on May 4th! :p

Let's do some predictions then!

Ireland 1-3 Italy

Spain 2-1 Croatia

Wigan away for us first game. Might be able to get to that one hopefully!

Stelios said:
Burnley, Derby and Notts Forest will all be tough games for us with three teams that are of the same quality for us. Let's hope Blackpool aren't gonna' relegate us on May 4th! :p

Derby, a tough game? Don't worry, it won't be! :p

We (Leicester) have a toughish start to the season although Peterborough at home as the first game should provide us with a win, but we never do things the easy way!

In other news, what do people think of this decision by Uefa? I find it utterly ridiculous and very harsh!

:)