• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

You can always count on Crystal Palace to save the day.

Shame our winning run came to an end today, but it was always going to take a small miracle for us to draw with City, let alone beat them, and with the news that a win would put them back in the title picture, and us being safe from our result last week, I think only a fool would of bet on Palace winning tonight.

Still, a good 2nd half, and hopefully we can bounce back and get a point against Liverpool. Another tough ask, as Liverpool will also be looking to bounce back.

With Newcastle playing Cardiff, and Stoke playing Fulham, I think our best chance is beating Fulham at the end of the season to secure 11th place. Although if Stoke slip up, a top half finish could be possible, and would be the cherry on top of an incredible season for us.

Ian

Adam said:

Interesting stuff! I think Arsenal v Newcastle and Villa v Hull could play a part in where the title goes. If Arsenal and Villa both win, when City play Everton and Villa, neither will really be playing for anything. It's so hard to call.

In other news, the PFA player and team of the year has been announced. Suarez won player of the year, which is hard to argue with as the only other player who was really in with a shout was Toure.

Team of the Year
Cech, Shaw, Kompany, Cahill, Coleman, Hazard, Toure, Gerrard, Lallana, Suarez, Sturridge

Personally, I would take out Cech, Shaw, Kompany, Lallana and Sturridge for Marshall/De Gea, Azpilicueta, Terry, Silva and Aguero.

Not sure it should be announced two games before the end of the season, surely voting should take place now and have it announced after the season is finished as these games are when the big players should step up.

Not sure how Shaw is in the TOTY. OH wait he's English. How anyone could argue that Azpilicueta wasn't the best leftback in the league is beyond me.

Danza91 said:
Adam said:

Interesting stuff! I think Arsenal v Newcastle and Villa v Hull could play a part in where the title goes. If Arsenal and Villa both win, when City play Everton and Villa, neither will really be playing for anything. It's so hard to call.

Everton aren't going to get fourth, we threw that away by somehow losing to Palace at home, though I do think we'll beat City, we usually do at home. Arsenal will win both their games, their season is always the same, looking like title contenders for a large part of the season then getting a few embarrassing defeats to throw away their trophy chances, then winning the right amount of games they need to *just* make 4th place. As for the title, Liverpool are still my favourites to win the league as I can see them winning both their games.

As for the PFA awards, can't argue with Suarez for POTY, but don't get how Hazard should win Young player when he's 23? Personally I'd have thought either Barkley or Sterling should've won, based on them actually being young. Also Azpilicueta over Shaw as TOTY left back for me aswell, though I thought Gibbs should've been in with a shout aswell, for me he's been Arsenal's most solid player for most of the season.

I would have fancied you to get something against City but after Arsenal's win last night, I can't see it. Will Everton really be motivated knowing that now, all they can really do this season is put it back into their rivals hands?

I agree about Hazard, he's 23 and made his debut in 2007, that's not young to me haha. I'd have said Sterling.

I've noticed over the past couple of days about people moaning about Mourinho's tactics and how it wasn't entertaining against Liverpool. He went there with a clear game plan to win and it worked, which is what he is so good at in the big games (look at his record). If Liverpool had won on Sunday, the league would virtually be over, now it's been blown wide open again.

I certainly didn't think the LIV - CHE game was boring at all... Football wise :/

And nothing is more entertaining than watching mr G slip over, hopefully losing them the title and his 'one shot' at getting the medal he so craves.

I think city will beat Everton and go on to win the league. As above, Everton have nothing really to play for anymore. Would they even want europa? IMHO their squad wouldn't cope, especially with all the loanees returning. City have everything to play for.

The amount of Everton fans wanting to lose to City is just weird. Imagine wanting to lose a game. Especially when you could get fourth.

Blaze said:
The amount of Everton fans wanting to lose to City is just weird. Imagine wanting to lose a game. Especially when you could get fourth.

I don't get it either, much rather you win the league than Chelsea, though I really doubt we've got any chance of getting fourth anyway. Still, we're in europe next season and Moyes got the sack, so can't complain.

Well, there's one minor bit of news that's come out of the games today.

Because Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League by virtue of their PL positioning, Hull City have gained a spot in the Europa League due to getting into the FA Cup Final, so congratulations to them!

Congratulations to Leicester, they fully deserve there promotion this season, it's just gutting how much they came back from play-off disappointment compared to us. One positive for next season though, what with Fulham down and Brentford up, and the possibility of Leyton Orient and QPR being in the division next season it means we have several loca way days. Now let's hope we have a better season next season.

Oh and congratulations to Crystal Palace, I never foresaw them doing so well this season, and now Holloway is gone I don't feel dirty for admitting that they well and truly deserve there place in the premier league, I hope your fans are enjoying it.

Anyone up for Norwich 20 Arsenal 0 on the last day of the season?

We played so well today, got screwed by a dodgy ref.

On a lighter note, Congratulations to Lowestoft Town FC who today won promotion from the Ryman Premier Legue by beating AFC Hornchurch 3-0 at home. They will be playing in Conference South next season, 4th time lucky for them!

What a fantastic game of football, and what a fantastic result for Palace.

Last home game of the season was always going to be tough, and I was just hoping for us to score a goal to give the fans something to cheer.

I was getting a little worried at 0-3.

We scored 1, then 2, then 3, and I was going crazy, the fans were going crazy, I think everyone was going crazy.

When the first was scored, I thought, great, something for the fans to cheer. When the 2nd went in, I thought the come back was on, and when we scored the third, I was just waiting for Liverpool to score a 4th in the 6th minute of extra time. Thanks Moses for missing that golden chance.

A fantastic final home game at Selhurst Park, what the fans deserved for being so brilliant all season.

Fingers crossed we can beat Fulham in the Final game of the season to have the perfect finish.

We are top of the bottom half of the league, and I don't think anyone would have expected that at the start of the season.

Glad All Over!

Ian

Fantastic comeback, but did anyone else find Martin Tyler saying all the "Well only English football produces games/moments/title challenges like this" rubbish almost every 3 minutes towards the end of the game as annoying as I did?

All commentators and pundits are obsessed with saying how the Premier League is the greatest league in the world. It's a fantastic league for entertainment value, but I doubt it's as highly regarded around Europe as it's made out to be.

Well, that was a big gamble from Giggs to give James Wilson and Tom Lawrence their débuts tonight. And it definitely paid off, with Wilson scoring twice. I had no idea until it was mentioned on the BBC Sport website that it turns out James Wilson's from Biddulph, which is where I live. Really not sure how to react to that one (the news made me speechless, which doesn't happen very often), but if he carries on like he did tonight, he could really put the town on the map!

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon so soon, but with Januzaj looking better every game, a handful of other youngsters starting to come in, and Van Gaal coming in who is very pro-youth, the future is looking brighter.

Well I think I speak for all United fans when I say thank god that's over, the squad needs a big overhaul. I still refuse to put all the blame on Moyes, even after he left we lost at home and drew at Southampton, although the latter wasn't a bad result. Rumours that we've bid £27m for Shaw. He's a player we do need and unfortunately that inflated price is what we're going to have to pay now.

As for the title race, I'd pretty much conceded that Liverpool were going to win it after the Norwich game so for them to bottle it was a relief. Although I'd rather have had Arsenal or Chelsea win it, City were expected to win it so it's not as painful as what Liverpool winning it would've been.

I know as a United fan we can't really laugh at Liverpool, but given the way they celebrated after the City game, the whole 'We're gonna win the league' and 'We go again', then Gerrard's slip, followed by their implosion at Selhurst, you have to laugh.

Bm-1sJaCQAEmOOC.jpg:large

------

So now that's done and dusted, only a month till the World Cup now!