• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

On the other end of the scale Fred was absolutely useless, I barely knew he was playing (apart from when he fell over to win a penalty). Brazil have some very good players but they didn't look like world beaters last night, and with the pressure of the whole nation on their shoulders it might turn out to be harder for them to win than they would like.

:)

More slightly dodgy decisions so far in the Mexico game... Mexico shouldn't have had their goal disallowed...

Make that twice now, Dos Santos has been bloody unlucky.

Last edited:
Spain.

Just...What? I honestly don't know what to say about their performance tonight, other than it's been absolutely woeful in the second half.

5-1 bwahahaha what has happened to Spain, they played terrible, Netherlands on the other hand, were absolutely brilliant.

I think they were over 250 to 1! If anyone betted on that being the score they have hit jackpot.

There's a very real possibility of Spain not making it out of the group stage. If they draw against Chile, and Chile then lose to the Netherlands by less than 4 goals (and the other results go as presumed) then they're done for.

Disappointed to lose last night as I don't think England played badly. Once Italy got their second they just got everyone behind the ball and defended well, something which is 2nd nature to them.

Do think that Hodgson made some errors though. Rooney should never have been out wide on the left; either play him as a No. 9/10 or don't at all, though his miss was a bad one. And I wouldn't have brought Barkley on so early. Italy were closing out any space to run into, which is when Barkley is most effective, so I'd have brought on Lallana at that point (I think he did ok when he came on). Was glad Welbeck had a good game considering the stick he gets.

Uruguay actually looked very poor against Costa Rica so we're capable of still progressing. Looking forward to it.

I thought we played quite well for a loss, Italy were always going to be slightly better than us, so for me 2-1 is about right. Definitely think we'll beat Uruguay, and hopefully Costa Rica's win was just down to Uruguay being poor and not them secretly being world class.

For the game on Thursday I'd make a couple changes. Wilshere for Henderson, Lallana for Welbeck and move Sterling out wide and have Rooney in the middle as a number 10.

There's no way we deserved to lose against Italy. We actually played pretty well and had a real go. A draw would have been a fair result. My main criticism would be that we didn't test their keeper enough though. Here is an interesting stat though from all of the games so far:

BqPp6JuCMAE_93A.jpg:large

Not something you'd expect from England!

After watching the Brazil vs. Mexico game, I really think that Mexico deserved to win that. Brazil were really mundane in that game, while Mexico really did impress me with their fighting spirit.

Brazil were very average last night. Saying that the Mexico keeper played a blinder.

In other news it's fixture release day! We have a very tough start back in the Premier League with out first three home games being against Everton, Arsenal and Man Utd. Then it's Chelsea and Stoke away sandwiched inbetween. We have been given a kind run in though for if we are scrapping for points at the end of the season.

I'm amused that we've got Swansea as the season opener again for the second year in a row, albeit in Manchester instead of Wales. Looks like a relatively east start to the season, with no matches against the big four until October 25th, when we're at home to Chelsea, so it looks like van Gaal could get us off to a good start. I look at the game against Leicester on September 20th, and all I can think of is the fact that the last game we played in Leicester was just a week later in 2003 - I can remember this, as it was my first football match, and United won 4-1 thanks to a Ruud van Nistlerooy hat-trick! :p

I'm also very interested to see that our last home game of the season is against Arsenal. That's going to be a big one. The run-in at the end looks a bit tough, but I think we should be fine.

Brazil remind me of Chelsea this season a bit; dull to watch when they should be exciting, no recognised striker, solid defence, and one attacking midfielder being heavily relied on. Still think they've got enough to go a long way though, and home advantage will play a big part.

United's start looks fairly easy but it's never that straightforward. Too early to set expectations for next season right now but at present I just want to see better football and getting back into the Champions League.

The stats show Norwich are likely to be relegated due to our final game of the season being against fulham.