• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

On one hand, it would've been nice to see Liverpool win the league as no one expected it and it'd make a change from the Manchester/London clubs winning the league, but on the other hand I'm glad they didn't because of how unbearable their fans and the media would've been, plus I prefer City as a club. Glad Fulham and Cardiff went down, not bothered either way about Norwich, and will be happy to see Leicester, Burnley and (hopefully) Derby next year, three proper clubs with decent fans.

As for the world cup, can't wait. Think England will either finish 3rd in the group or do a Chelsea and somehow scrap our way into the semis. Either way though Germany to win it for me, their squad is definitely the strongest in the world right now.

It's come as no surprise that after the World Cup, Holland's manager Louis van Gaal will take over the reins at Old Trafford, with Ryan Giggs becoming his assistant. The news has now been confirmed, despite there having been strong rumours for several weeks. In United's long history, van Gaal will be only the second non-British manager of the club - the first being Frank O'Farrell of Ireland between 1971 and 1972.

Van Gaal's appointment could well be just was United needs. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the club!

EDIT: It's also just been confirmed that Ryan Giggs has retired from playing professional football after making 64 appearances for Wales and 963 appearances for Manchester United. Again, this news comes as no surprise, although I'll be honest - it would've been nice to see Giggs get up to 1,000 appearances for United. He also captained the men's Olympic team in 2012, which ended up being his only chance to play in a major international tournament. He'll be missed as a player, but I'm really glad he's staying with United - they need someone who knows the club very well and who can provide some stability.

After Euro 2012 I said Germany would win the World Cup. They deserve it just because their kit, as usual, is gorgeous.

I'd want a mini league although I don't know how to fill my defenders with 2.0 points left to spend:confused:

So it finally kicks off this evening!

Who are people going for for The Golden Boot?

If Messi didn't have Aguero and Higuain with him, I'd go with him but I'm actually saying Benzema. France have an easy group and can see him getting a handful.

So it finally kicks off this evening!

Who are people going for for The Golden Boot?

If Messi didn't have Aguero and Higuain with him, I'd go with him but I'm actually saying Benzema. France have an easy group and can see him getting a handful.

Neymar for me, I can see him upping his game for the world cup and since I've got Brazil as getting to the semis, it's worth a shout.

Is it possible for Brazil and Argentina to be in the finals? I think England will shock and get to the semis against Brazil or Argentina,Although I think they'll be out in the quarters

A really good first game last night. Had pretty much everything you could want from a first game; goals, excitement and controversy. Brazil's best player though had to be the referee, he put in a match winning performance for them!

In all seriousness I did feel for Croatia. They put up a really good fight and deserved a point from the game. It was never a penalty in a million years for Brazil and disallowing Croatia's goal for a foul on the keeper was very harsh. Have to say that Neymar played wonderfully well, he has to be favourite for the Golden Boot now.

:)

I too go for Neymar for the Golden Boot, especially as he'll be taking about another 10 penalties in the group stage. The ref was terrible last night. I also think Neymar should have been sent off. He was leading with his elbow and wasnt looking at the ball, straight red IMHO.

It would have been a harsh red card I think. It wasn't violent or malicious although he did take a glance at the player. I know I'd have been fuming if a Leicester player had been sent off for something like that so a yellow suffices for me.

:)

Neymar looked quality, the ref was awful, Croatia were fairly unlucky to not get something out of it...

Was a pretty good match to start the tournament off though!

Oscar was sensational, I thought he should've been MOTM tbh. Puts in all the hard work, tracked back and got a goal and assist.