• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Well that looks like it is Palace in meltdown :( I don't think anyone who can come in will keep us up.

Such a shame that Tony Pulis has left only two days before the start of the season.

Ian

Reactions: Ted
Shambolic, awful awful day to be a Palace fan. The tensions that were going on between Pulis and Steve Parish were a joke. Why couldn't Steve Parish just give Pulis what he wanted for transfers? Utter joke

Oh, and less than 48 hours before the season is suppose to start....Great...No one will want to come to our club now.

Very surprised about Pulis leaving, although if I remember rightly, he spent lots during his time at Stoke and a number of players didn't come up with the goods? However, given that he did the impossible job of keeping Palace up last season, he deserved to be given the funds to build on that this season.

A bad day to be a Palace fan, but I still think you'll stay up ok, depending on the manager.

Its a difficult one. I am guessing the problem was that Parish did not want to spend more than we could afford, and Pulis wanted players we could not afford.

Just because Pulis did the impossible and kept Palace up does not mean he can spend what he wants. Reading some of the posts on the internet, it appears Palace have a wage limit of 40k per week, and the players he wanted were asking for 55k-70k per week which as a club we can not afford.

Of course, there is also the rumours that Parish wanted to bring Zaha back, which Pulis was okay with, but not over the moon, and when it meant one of Pulis target got pushed down the line, it was when Pulis decided to call it a day.

Of the managers linked to us, I think Moyes would be my preferred choice, but I have heard he has already ruled himself out.

I don't think Lennon, Houghton, Mackay have enough experience to keep us out the bottom three.

Ian

It's a tricky one, I can see why Pulis left, I think it was just the timing which surprised me. Palace still looked good against Arsenal though.

As a United fan it was all rather anti-climatic. I don't want to read too much into it and get sucked into the overhyped significance of the opening weekend results, but we clearly need to strengthen. Our squad is smaller than last season with the loss of heaps of experience in Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand and with only 2 new additions, 1 of whom is injured for a month. Between now and September 1st we need a centre-back and a defensive midfielder. A winger also perhaps.

6 points after 3 games with the two victories consisting of 3 goals each time? A happy start to this championship campaign for me!

First back to back league victories in 15 months as well... Setting us up well to smash Ipswich at the weekend ;)

Said all along that Moyes was the scapegoat, the squad is just simply not good enough and now people are starting to realise that. I'm hoping between now and September 2nd we get rid of all the deadwood like Young, Fellaini, Cleverley and possibly Valencia. Fletcher should not be starting either.

Di Maria is set to sign for us. We do need him; when you look at how we play with absolutely zero pace and our wingers are too afraid to even take on a man. No movement off the ball and play is constantly slowed down which makes us so easy to defend against.

£59.7m for Di María. I really hope he improves things in a massive way for us. Fellaini needs to go, although that's a no-brainer - IIRC, Napoli wanted him on loan, but I'd like it to be permanent. We also need at least one new defender - Mats Hummels has been rumoured to sign for a while, and I'd like to think that he will, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

A fantastic signing, the price is inflated but that's because we are desperate.

If we sign a CB and a DM this week then we will look a lot stronger. I think Vidal is very unlikely now as it's just dragged on for too long as he's got a dodgy knee. De Jong looks like it could happen. He's a thug, but he's exactly what we need in the midfield right now and I'd take that as a short-term fix.

I was surprised at how poor Liverpool looked at the back tonight. Can only see this season being a two-horse race between Chelsea and City.

I still don't understand how Nigel de Jong didn't get sent off in the 2010 World Cup Final for kicking Xabi Alonso in the chest! :p In all seriousness, de Jong could work for us, and he's already familiar with van Gaal's management style through the Dutch national side. The next week is going to be so crucial for us. If we don't make any more signings - and van Gaal would be a fool to not make any more - then I fear another season of mediocrity for United.

Just want to add, Villa look tidy this year. 2 coaches gone, old boys come back, Keane comes in, average signings playing together to make a team that really work hard for each other, Westwood looks like the quality midfielder he really has the potential to be (Keane influence again?), Sanchez will need to settle but looks a bruiser who will pick a pass when settled and we've got our two skillful strikers to come back. Cissoko is a masterstroke! Great crosses, decent defender, pacey - second season in the prem he looks tidy! Senderos looks much better with some experience around him and Alan Hutton is playing like an utter beast! Vlaar. Well, world cup and more experienced solid looking players around him and he's looking a truly class act.

I am actually worried people will want to poach our defenders now.

Also Delph is looking rather good. When we swap out Weimann for Benteke and have him off the bench and we maybe bring Kozak in or switch those front men around with Zoggy/Cissoke pinging in crosses we still have Bent welcomed back into the fold.

World beaters we are not, but with some good luck with injuries for a change, poaching Arsenal's commercial man I am not sure what happened to Villa over the summer but for the first season in a while unless we get some players pinched now or Jan we should hopefully be ok this season!

Those worried about not Top 4, remember, Villa are the founders of the league, not to long ago we were up there fighting with the top, City buggered us up as Lerner went all in but then Sheikh came in and knackered up the plan! It's a fast fall from grace in the premier league, no team in that top 4 has anymore right than Villa to be there, or Everton for that matter. Once in a lifetime managers built Liverpool and Manchester United, but finance bought City and Chelsea their success, Arsenal deserve great credit with Wenger, but Martinez has shown it's not all about money and I hope Villa can return to where a club of our infrastructure should be.

SO happy to have Keane in, he looks a totally different man to before, and all I've heard so far is great things emanating from our club - has Keane actually helped galvanise a team? Him and Lambo look extremely comfortable together, let's hope if anyone tries to buy our players, RK answers the phone!

Optimistic shouts of 12th place injuries/suspensions etc being favourable, but with some luck either way we could be top half or scrapping again - that's how tight we all know this league is!

Pulis going certainly helped. Really crap what's happening at Palace, feel sorry for the club to be honest, I reckon they're in trouble, Burnley haven't got enough I don't think but will get some surprise results with a great young manager with a bright future I would imagine, Leicester I think will stay up, Swansea are looking awesome so who that third potential spot will go to? Could Hull get over stretched? Can't imagine Poyet going down he's like having an extra man in the team, Stoke? Shakey start but a good solid outfit. Newcastle have some quality players now.

I think it will be a real tight nervy season once again for the entire bottom half!

Hahahahahha hahahahahha united.

Defeated by a team who's entire value is the same as one week of Rooney's wages.

I love football :)

EDIT: also well done to Norwich! 3-1 win with both new signings scoring (albeit one being an own goal!) and Murphy's first senior goals for the club. The futures bright :)

Reactions: Amy
Great win for Palace tonight. Even though it was against Walsall, it's given us a great boost of morale and confidence after nearly 2 weeks of a nightmare.

And I love Dwight Gayle.

Milton. Sodding. Keynes.

We desperately need to sign more players. Di María's now a United player - thank goodness - but we can't carry on like this.

Now excuse me while I go and drown my sorrows.

That was brilliant
clear.png
:tearsofjoy:

United are atleast 3-4 players away from qualifying for the champions league imo, Di Maria, Rooney, Mata & Van Persie are definitely a quality attacking unit, but then the rest of the team isn't anywhere near good or deep enough to compete.