• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Great to get our first win under the belt today. Hopefully it will give the lads a boost for next weekend, and Leicester will be a bit over confident after there amazing win today :p

TBH, I will be happy with a point next weekend now. It was an unexpected three points today, but we have dropped points elsewhere, but given the start of the season, I am happy with 5 points from 5 games.

Bit surprised Newcastle are bottom, but that's the great thing about this league, Anything is possible.

Ian

Was pleased with the win as well Ian. We were awful in the first 20-25 minutes, but we definitely switched gears after that, especially with Jedinak's penalty (which was superb by the way!). Was fantastic to see Campbell get his first goal, and as well as seeing Yannick get one. Fantastic first win for us, especially against Everton who are a good side, even if they haven't gotten off to the best of starts this season.

Was feeling ill fated against towards Leicester next week after their superb game, but no so much now! Bring it on!

Wow, today I went to one of the best games in my club's 130 year history.Before today Manchester United had never lost in the Premier League after being two goals ahead; they were two goals ahead twice today yet we won. Incredible. We were immense, up against some of the best attacking players in world football. Vardy and Drinkwater were brilliant, I hope Roy was watching!

:)

When I was listening to the radio on the way into Leicester earlier, there was some kid who thought Leicester would win 5-0. My uncle wondered what the odds were, and I checked - 500 to 1, so he gave me a quid to put on it, which I did. At least I got the scoreline half right!

I'm also a bit puzzled as to how on earth someone managed to get a bike past the stewards and into the middle of a row in the Spion Kop... :p

Well what an exciting start to the Premier League season, so many of the big teams dropping points and Southampton, who were tipped to really struggle, have been fantastic!

United, although Leicester got a lot of luck with both penalties (the 2nd was a penalty, but the play should have been pulled back for a foul on Blackett), the defending was criminal and United simply didn't react. We were incredibly naive after the 1st penalty and should have slowed the game down and kept the ball.

Although I think this season will be fantastic, I can't see past Chelsea. I know it's early days and I always reserve my true judgements until November or so, but you look at their squad and it's hard to see anyone else really challenging.

It's sad to see all the abuse Mario Balotelli got for his dig at United's result, however, and I'm not for one second saying he brought it on himself or anything like that, but given that Liverpool lost 3-1 the night before and he's been mostly anonymous since his return to the Premier League, he shouldn't be worrying about what United are doing.

United, although Leicester got a lot of luck with both penalties (the 2nd was a penalty, but the play should have been pulled back for a foul on Blackett), the defending was criminal and United simply didn't react. We were incredibly naive after the 1st penalty and should have slowed the game down and kept the ball.

Please! If that was a foul on Blackett for the second penalty then refs are going be blowing up every time a player touches another player. As a central defender Blackett has to show more strength there. A large proportion of United fans (I'm not saying you but many others I've seen) are still choaking on their sour grapes following Sunday's game. I'll admit we got lucky with the first penalty but United have had more than their fair share of that over the years. Rafael was niave to challenge back at Vardy.

It was quite simple, United's poor defence could not cope with our strength, power and pace up front. The same happened to nearly every Championship defence last season. I got the feeling that Mr Van Gaal did not do his homework, despite saying he had four different books on Leicester and knowing everything there was to know about our players, our subs and even the atmosphere in the stadium!

The second penalty was pretty clear-cut to me - no foul on Blackett, and Clattenburg was right to send him off. The first one, on the other hand, was a bit more dodgy, mainly due to what happened outside the box with Rafael and Vardy. I'm surprised that Clattenburg did nothing about Vardy pushing Rafael over, as that seemed like a foul to me. I'll agree with you that Rafael was a bit stupid in tackling Vardy straight after, though, Rob.

Our midfield and forward sections are fine, but our defence is shocking. A new centre-back is desperately needed in the January transfer window. If we don't get one, then we're in serious trouble.

Neutral, if not slightly assuaged by Leicester as a Midlander. HOWEVER. Rafael was never a foul, Vardy gave him the "see you later" outside the box to a comical degree, then goes for the ballet move inside the box himself!

Fair play to him, he won it, and the amount of dodgy pens the big teams have been awarded down the years I am not going to say much, but for me that was almost a dive and given what transpired just previous I don't know how he got that result.

Blackett one though, "foul" before was a tussle, this is still a sport not a bubble blowing contest, and his tackle was of inexperience.

It's like the Villa defence last year put too much inexperience in the back line and you're in trouble, balance it with a couple of experienced heads like Senderos/Vlaar as we inexplicably have, and look what happens - our much maligned Nathan Baker wins a man of the match award.

Defence is about balance, the stupid thing is I don't believe for a second UTD couldn't have found some kind of experienced defender to add a bit of steel to your back line. 5 years ago, it would have been UTD signing Mangala, what a player he looks!! He's a beast and SO quick!! Counter attack football nullified by that guy, he made Hazard look like his boots were filled with lead!

What an AMAZING league so far this year! It may not be the best quality anymore outright like it was for a while, but I really do doubt there are many in the world as exciting or unpredictable as ours is now.

It was amazing to see all the salty United fans about how the penalty was unfair... Not like they got those sort of decisions for YEARS (or indeed, last year when they got given a penalty against Palace at Old Trafford just should've been a free kick)...

Palace unbeaten under Warnock though, amazing...

Please! If that was a foul on Blackett for the second penalty then refs are going be blowing up every time a player touches another player. As a central defender Blackett has to show more strength there.

To be fair, that was never going to be a foul if Vardy had already shoved Rafael over. I think the Blackett nudge is a bit more subjective, some refs would blow up there.

I don't understand the whole, United got plenty of decisions over the years so we can't complain? So because we had some decisions in past we shouldn't receive blatant decisions? Last season we had plenty go against us, the Spurs game where Lloris clattered Young being an obvious one. And if I remember rightly, in PL history, both Liverpool and Arsenal have been awarded more penalties than United.

Norwich are now Top of the Championship after comming from 1-0 down to win 1-3 at blackpool today!

Quite amazing what's going on in the Scottish league table, Celtic should normally be on top, instead they're stuck in 6th place and little Hamilton is sitting happily on top...could we, just maybe, have a league winner that isn't one of the Old Firm for once this time round?:openmouth:

Technically only 4, still ridiculous mind
In the owners defence the first two where unavoidable, a resignation and then illness in Garcias case, but this most recent case is indefensible.

I'm still refusing to buy into this managerial merry-go-round that starts around now and that it does benefit teams (in some cases yes, but mostly not). Allardyce and more recently Pardew have got a lot of stick but they're turning things around, especially SA.

I think that it won't be long now till the first Premier League sacking. My money is on Poyet if Sunderland don't improve quickly, or even Pochettino as it's the Spurs way. I think Leicester and Burnley will back their's for now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29976327

This should be interesting, Moyes has been named as the manager of Real Sociedad, who currently lie 15th in the Spanish La Liga table.

As I've said before, I don't completely blame Moyes for last season, the players let him down and never believed in him, however when we were losing, and often when we were winning, the tactics were negative and that cost us a lot of points. I regard La Liga tactically superior to the EPL so I'm not sure how it'll work out for him there, that said, I hope he does well.