• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Excellent form

:/ A joke, presumably. :)

I can't quite fathom how we are 3rd after playing so poorly. I know we were away last night, but we had 2(?) shots on target. One being a gift. Rojo & Carrrick were important, but everyone else was mediocre. Still don't know what LVG sees in Evans. Maybe there is just no-one else. McNair was poor too. I think that game dented his chances of first team appearances drastically. You rarely see players subbed after 35 minutes.

Still, Liverpool are playing terribly too, so next week should be a good one - as always.

I can't quite fathom how we are 3rd after playing so poorly.

Southampton were nervous, have had their confidence knocked out of them, you've got back that same thing you had before - an air of they're just going to be lucky and win it.

How many times is it said, to win anything, you need to play badly and still win. Admittedly, I can't remember Man U playing much worse but there were times when Southampton got in the Man U penalty area and it was like watching a swarm of blue around them.

You also have world class talent in your team. I mean, how on Earth RVP squeezed that goal in goodness only knows. Then again, how many times did he provide a winning goal or confidence boost from nothing in SAF's last season? That is why he bought him. It seems to have taken him over a season to get over him leaving the club!

Also, LVG definitely is embedding a NEVER GIVE UP spirit, you can see it, and at times his reactions on the touchline to them not putting the ball out to get the sub on (I can't ever remember seeing that before, concede possession to get a sub on, and manager going absolutely bat crap crazy to make it happen!).

He's a scary man, poor McNair being given the...
stage_hook.gif

...shows he's not scared to make the big decisions which we already know.

That's why you're 3rd. Plus the rest of the league are poor. Arsenal/Liverpool from last season and you wouldn't be. Arguably Tottenham under Sherwood would have given you a game as well.

McNail just simply made too many mistakes. Even LVG said "I think Southampton played better than Manchester United - I think we were the lucky guy" - not exactly a confident comment. He's made the right calls when its mattered mind... I agree that LVG is not afraid of the big decisions.

I also agree that it is the class that was the difference - Southampton had MUCH better chances throughout. A free header from 10 yards... Even Fellani would have put that in, certainly RVP or Wazza.

Herrera made a difference too. This is a team without the likes of Di Maria, Falcao & (yes I know) Luke Shaw. Don't get me wrong, it is impressive, just not attractive. It's just frustrating to see how we are playing compared to how we can play.

@smudge just be thankful you're not a Villa fan lol!

Seems A LONG time ago we almost pipped you to the league, were winning cups, finishing high up the table, and doing what Villa SHOULD be doing.

No one has a right to trophies and there's some big giants like Leeds that are suffering more, but there aren't THAT many clubs bigger than us doing as badly.

In fact I cannot think of one.

Wow. That's depressing.

We were abysmal against Southampton (and Arsenal) but the good thing is we're finding ways to win despite playing poorly. Under Sir Alex these wins would have been considered well ground out. Felt for McNair but he was having a mare, LVG could have done what Wenger does with Chambers each week (nothing) and see Southampton score again.

Hopefully Falcao can get fit, Van Persie keep up this good spell of form and the rest of the squad return without any more injuries!

@smudge just be thankful you're not a Villa fan lol!

Seems A LONG time ago we almost pipped you to the league, were winning cups, finishing high up the table, and doing what Villa SHOULD be doing.

No one has a right to trophies and there's some big giants like Leeds that are suffering more, but there aren't THAT many clubs bigger than us doing as badly.

In fact I cannot think of one.

Wow. That's depressing.

Whoa, you've already said it yourself! Leeds are the biggest club in the world don't you know? Like seriously massive! ;)

Love seeing Leeds suffer! :D

:)

3-0 against Liverpool. Fantastic. Six wins in a row now! Didn't think that would happen after our poor start to the season!

It's the second round replays of the FA Cup tonight, only goal so far is Mansfield 0 Cambridge 1

Looks like our 59 year wait for a major trophy will go on after this evening's result against Spurs (yes, you read that right 59 years)...

We have a ridiculous number if injuries: both our top two goalkeepers - Krul and Elliott, plus Santon, Taylor, De Jong, Aarons, Obertan, Ameobi... and there are others plus Janmaat suspended.

We really could use some investment in January.

Looks like our 59 year wait for a major trophy will go on after this evening's result against Spurs (yes, you read that right 59 years)...

We have a ridiculous number if injuries: both our top two goalkeepers - Krul and Elliott, plus Santon, Taylor, De Jong, Aarons, Obertan, Ameobi... and there are others plus Janmaat suspended. Not to mention that Sissoko went off injured tonight!!!! :(

We really could use some investment in January.

Oh Mike will invest alright.

In Rangers...

He's a businessman, buying into Rangers on the cheap, will get them on the way back up and flog Newcastle I reckon.

He can flog Newcastle, would suit me.

It's absurd - the fact we have one of the biggest grounds in the UK with a very loyal fanbase - and haven't won anything for nearly 60 years.

We go through good runs here and there - but ultimately fail to actually find success.

We definitely ought not to be losing 4-0 to Spurs right now - we should be giving them a game but we've such a lot of injuries on top of a 'play it safe' owner...

Grrrr. It's a constant rollercoaster with NUFC!

[QUOTE="AstroDan, post: 122872, member: 8"
We definitely ought not to be losing 4-0 to Spurs right now - we should be giving them a game but we've such a lot of injuries on top of a 'play it safe' owner..[/QUOTE]

TST XI shouldn't be losing 4-0 to Spurs right now!