• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

We have just signed Esteban Cambiasso, the second most decorated Argentine footballer of all time behind the great Alfredo Di Stefano. How exciting!

:D

Warnock back...

Zaha back...

Bolasie signs a new contract...

The Palace roller-coaster rolls on magnificently...

3 points against Newcastle this weekend would be the perfect end to the week. Really hope Gayle starts, I know Walsall are not Newcastle, but he deserves his chance.

Ian

Is it safe to come out of hiding yet? More points dropped, back I go...

But seriously, we looked better against Burnley but there's so much deadwood in the side. Injuries aren't helping but we should be beating Burnley. I'll be happy on Tuesday if Fletcher, Cleverley, Fellaini, Young, Valencia, Hernandez and Anderson are no longer United players. I think the 3-5-2 may begin to work once we have Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Shaw and any new recruits in the side, although I would rather see us play 4-3-3.

It seems Martinez's Wigan days are back; can't set up a defense. They overachieved last season and I think if he persists with Jagielka and Distin they will leak a lot of goals, I'd be starting Stones. Also not quite sure why Costa was getting so much stick for the taunting at Coleman. Coleman was winding him up all game; don't give it if you can't take it.

Hello Danza, long time no see! ;)

I am rather enjoying United's decline, it has to be said!

In all seriousness, they will be back, they've spent a lot of money, but on good players. You could see the quality of Di Maria in 60 minutes today. For me though, Van Gaal needs to drop one of Mata, Rooney, or Van Persie. There's no pace or dynamism there, I really think Rooney is on the decline and the captaincy appointment is a bad one IMO.

With Liverpool, I hope we can avoid defeat at Spurs tomorrow. That may sound pessimistic but I would take the point away from home, they're a different team under Pochettino and will be challenging ourselves and Utd for that 4th spot come May.

I'm really worried about our defensive midfield position. Lucas has always been bang average and it looks as if he's on his way out anyway, and as much as I rate Henderson and Gerrard, neither are particularly skilled at tracking back and tackling, their skills lie elsewhere. Really think we should go for Schneiderlin from Southampton - think he said he's a Red. Another top class forward would be good too but can't see that happening unfortunately.

Really think we should go for Schneiderlin from Southampton - think he said he's a Red. Another top class forward would be good too but can't see that happening unfortunately.

Judging from his interview last night, he certainly seems like if a club came in for him he would force a move. Good player as well, I watched the Southampton game for work and he was fantastic.

Also agree about Rooney/RVP/Mata. One needs to be dropped, I'm not convinced Rooney and RVP can play together.

Good news for Utd fans, you have signed another attacker, Radamel Falcao. You will soon be playing a 2-3-5 formation :p

Ian

United's formation for after the international break:

_77299648_mufc.jpg

:)

I really don't get why we're getting Falcao on a season-long loan. We don't need more strikers - we need a better defence. If van Gaal's plan is to have a strong front line and not worry about the back until the January window, then I'm really worried.

Only on loan though... Hopefully it gives Rooney & RVP the kick up the arse they need. For strikers of their caliber, they are not performing thus far. Welbeck & Hanandez need to go, and I think they both will today. As much as United don't usually sell to competitors I can see Welbeck going to a PL club, and Javier going to Real, forever on the fringe. I predict some serious movement today. They are expecting this summers transfer market to break the £1bn mark (so far at £750m.)

I have seen that RVP may need an operation on his knee, so maybe getting Falcao on loan could be cover for that. Welbeck's rumoured to go on loan to Spurs for a season, and Cleverley may be at Villa by the end of the day. Hopefully, it should be confirmed that Blind is a United player within the next few hours, but we still need a stronger back line!

Agreed! Evans, Jones & Smalling just don't have the 'complete player' package that is required, for at least ONE of the CB's to possess. They all have their qualities, just can't seem to be consistent, reliable or indeed 'hungry' enough for the team.

Look at Vida & Rio; the reason they worked so well together is that they complimented each other. They were both strong characters, and as much as Vida was the more talented of the two, Rio had the lions share or passion, drive & determination that is so much lacking in the current squad. They ran the game from defence, they were relied on time after time, and barring some stupid errors (or Krypotonite players, such as Torres for Vida,) gave the team confidence in the back 4 who were also the driving force behind many of United's attacks. We need this again... Sooner rather than later. Before we 'do a Liverpool.' At least we have the financial investment in place to do it, and I do have faith in LVG that it will be spent wisely, unlike Moyes. Of course players prices will be inflated because we are not in the CL, but quite honestly this is knock-on effect from SAF relying too heavily on young players, putting too much faith in 'the kids.' It paid off with 'the class of 92,' but the world will never see a group of players like that again. Not only that, no PL club would be willing to try. Perhaps wisely. Before LVG, it had been too long since we signed some real & proven world-class quality.

EDIT - Oh, apart from RVP, who shown that proven quality is needed too - after-all, he did win us the tittle.

To lose three of our key defenders in one transfer window was always going to cause a big problem, and I'm concerned that van Gaal isn't doing enough to address it.

De Gea
Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw
Herrera Blind
Di Maria Rooney Januzaj
Falcao/RVP?

or

De Gea
Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw
Blind
Di Maria Herrera/Mata Januzaj
Falcao Rooney/RVP

Still trying to get my head around what formation we're going to play, and where this leaves Mata. I have no idea. Hernandez needed to go but I think Welbeck still had something to offer. Adding Falcao on-loan for a season makes sense with those outgoings. But yeah, no idea what our formation is going to be.

Hang on, am I reading this correctly? Are United 2-0 up against QPR? Somebody pinch me - this doesn't feel like it's happening! :p

At first I did, but to be honest I don't think Costa will be as good as everyone thinks for them this season, probably because I can't help thinking of how Torres, Shevchenko, Crespo etc all flopped for the club, plus he had a poor world cup and will probably take the first third of the season to adjust propely to the prem.

Shows what I know. :tearsofjoy:

Put my hand up and saying I was wrong about Costa as well. He's been superb, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the golden boot!

Erm, that's not what I was expecting. Cracking game, though - probably the best I've attended. We just need a MUCH better defensive line. Tyler Blackett is not the answer to our problems.