• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

I really don't want Portugal to win the tournament because I feel they've gotten extremely lucky and shouldn't even be in the quarters, let alone the semis.

I'd love to see Wales do it. I think realistically France or Germany will win it though. But if its Wales vs Germany final then the former qualifies for the confederations cup next year as the latter already have, which will be an incredible achievement for them.

I will be supporting Portugal for my 'outright winner' pre-tournament bet which is somehow still alive. They've been awful but done enough... just. Wales have done exceedingly well but I personally don't feel like I should be supporting them.

Let's hope for a good semi-final and Bale and Ronaldo turn up. Semi-finals are often cagey with not a lot in it (Germany 7-1 Brazil was a one-off) so we'll see.

Last edited:
I see Robert Green is heading to Leeds. So after years of Norwich buying Leeds players, they've turned around and brought an ex Norwich player... :p

England are in the Euro 2016 final..... because Mark Clattenburg will be the referee! I'm pleased for him, a top ref and by far the best we have in this country.

So France vs. Portugal it is. I've said France would win it from the start and I'm not going to change that opinion now although I don't think it will be easy. The Ronaldo factor is bound to play a part.

:)

I can only assume he's given some poor decisions against Palace? All refs make mistakes, it's normal as they are human, but he always trys to let the game flow, doesn't dish out yellow cards from the first minute and get's far more right then wrong. His handling of the Croatia vs. Czech Republic game was also excellent.

His performance in the Chelsea Spurs game also showed his ineptitude... Plus being generally lambasted after the FA Cup Final...

One of the worst of a very bad bunch... But since he doesn't upset the status quo it's usually ignored...

I think Clattenburg is the best ref we have, like all refs he has his bad games. Hopefully he'll do well for the occasion.

I've surprised myself with some of my predictions for this tournament. Called the final correctly but for the final my head says France, heart says Portugal as I'd like my bet to come in. :p

A pretty terrible final IMO. I do think that had Wales gotten to the final, it might've been a more exciting final. Ah well, roll on the world cup qualifiers.

Well done to Portugal, they were the better team on the night, France were rather pathetic actually! If Manchester United actually spend £100 million on Pogba then Juventus will be laughing all the way to the bank - I'm certain that Kante is a better player than Pogba in the position he played last night.

Pogba is not worth £100m. No player in the world is worth that much. The only reason the price tag is allegedly that high for him to go to United is probably because Fergie let him go for nothing, and this was perhaps one of the biggest mistakes he ever made. Ergo Juventus wanting absolutely loads of cash for him from United. Don't get me wrong, Pogba is great, but he's not £100m great! Having said that, if Pogba had stayed at United, he may not have become the player he is today.

Sorry for the double post but now it's time to get properly excited for the new season.

Firstly a quick rant, why on earth was the Arsenal v Man City friendly on ITV yesterday? Strange decision. I'd have properly watched the Community Shield on BT Sport but I refuse to pay for their terrible commentators and punditry. The streams I can find you can barely see the ball. Does anyone know anywhere for good streams?

-----

What a season we could have on our hands now with some of the best managers in the world now competing against each other. Mourinho, Pep, Klopp, Conte, Poch, Koeman and even Ranieri (if Leicester are still up for it) all going up against each other will be exciting. To add to that, you have to feel for Arsenal fans a bit. Wenger is still there and they still haven't signed the striker they so desperately need.

Last season was such a fluke really. Yes it was fantastic Leicester winning it but I think top 6 would be a very good season for them. I think the bigger clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City will all have woken up and will be fighting for the title. My table which will no doubt be completely wrong:

1. Man United (if Pogba signs, this is it)
2. Chelsea (still got a squad more than capable of challenging)
3. Man City (I think Pep might struggle to adapt)
4. Liverpool (looked impressive last season under Klopp, I expect them to build on that)
5. Arsenal (going nowhere. Last season was a failure despite finishing 2nd)
6. Spurs (their chance was last season but bottled it. Will struggle with Champions League too)
7. Everton (Koeman will help them realise their potential as Martinez was an embarrassment)
8. Leicester (without Kante will struggle, other teams will know how to manage them better)
9. West Ham (might struggle to adapt to the new stadium but should still finish top half)
10. Stoke (standard mid-table finish from them)
11. Southampton (will miss Koeman I think, but still be fine)
12. Swansea (don't know a lot about their manager so hard to predict)
13. Crystal Palace (typically underwhelming season)
14. Sunderland (should be a bit more stable defensively under Moyes but at the expense of goals scored)
15. West Brom (can't see them being much higher)
16. Bournemouth (did well last season, have a good manager and squad to survive again)
17. Middlesbrough (of the promoted teams I think they are most likely to survive)
18. Hull City (Steve Bruce, need I say more?)
19. Watford (worrying form in second half of last season and Flores has gone)
20. Burnley (would be amazed if they survive)

There we go. Mid-table is always difficult but hopefully I'll do a little better than last season. I don't think anyone predicted the top 4 correctly!

I agree with the top 4 but there no way I can see United winning the league, Pogba or not. Think City will win it this year.

Last season was a fluke. I think it'll be 'business as usual' this year. I can't decide who'll win the title - for me, it's too close to call - but I can say that Hull are likely to go down. I mean, they have no manager, their first game's at lunchtime on Saturday, and they have a lot of players out injured already, from what I've gathered. I don't think I've seen a team in worse shape this close to the start of a Premier League season for a very, very long time.

City certainly have a squad and manager more than capable of winning it, just wonder how they'll all adapt. Mourinho is more experienced in the Premier League and that could be the difference.

Sorry, I forgot that Steve Bruce has now left Hull. That probably helps them with their survival hopes.

My call for the league is Chelsea, N'Greedy Kunt‎é really is just that good!