• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Footballers’ Wages

Thameslink Rail

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
Team edit: These posts have been split from the Pet Hates topic due to there being enough discussion for its own thread.

Erling Haaland... What is it called when you score five?!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's how obscene his wage is.

Think it's worth saying those lower down the pyramid aren't paid that anywhere near aswell.

Also, who's to blame him. Whenever I hear folk moaning about the wage I always say this.

A footballer will play footie till around the age of 34. Then what? No one is no longer paying you wage. So why not get as much as you can, whilst you can? These men earn their clubs millions. Too right they should take a slice of the pie.

So much hypocrisy around wages these days. I wouldn't moan about anyone's wage. If someone is willing to pay you that much. Then fair play to you.

Exactly. It's not even their fault that they're paid so much. The top clubs seem hell bent on using something like 90% of their earnings to compete to get the very best players that they can get. No-one is forcing the clubs to do this, it's entirely of their own choosing. The more money the clubs generate, the more they're willing to throw at the players. The players agent just tells 'Club A' that 'Club B' is willing to pay his client 20% more for his services next season (or some point in the future), so you can either match that or beat it, or he'll be off (as we probably would in our daily work). It's totally up to 'Club A' if they want to offer more money, or just let him go to 'Club B' as for some reason they've decided to throw even more money at the player. This is totally the fault of the frivolous spending habits of football clubs. If City don't pay Haaland so much money, there'll be another few happy to throw ludicrous amounts of money at him. That's not his fault.

Unfortunately there are also plenty of teams who can't afford the high wages but still pay them in the hope of reaching the promised land. In the Championship, the average club spends 108% of their total revenue on player wages (yes you read that right), it is no surprise therefore how many teams have found themselves in financial difficulty recently.

Last edited:
It's how obscene his wage is.

Think it's worth saying those lower down the pyramid aren't paid that anywhere near aswell.

Also, who's to blame him. Whenever I hear folk moaning about the wage I always say this.

A footballer will play footie till around the age of 34. Then what? No one is no longer paying you wage. So why not get as much as you can, whilst you can? These men earn their clubs millions. Too right they should take a slice of the pie.

So much hypocrisy around wages these days. I wouldn't moan about anyone's wage. If someone is willing to pay you that much. Then fair play to you.

Haaland can retire on one weeks wages !!

So even if you use the argument that footballers have a short career, it is still obscene. And in any case, just because a footballer has finished playing football it doesn't mean he isn't able to get a job, so the whole short career argument is rubbish.

According to this source (https://www.capology.com/)

The average annual wage of footballers are as follows.....

Premier league: £3,257,373
Championship: £656,942
League One: £164,536 (About the same as the UK prime minister, for a third rate footballer)
League Two: £107,598 (Still in the top 3% of wage earners)

And all for a part time job of a few hours per week.

I do not have a problem with top sportsman getting a very good wage, especially the ones that are the best at what they do. But those figures are disgusting.

Footballers, on a better number than even bloody teachers, eh shakey!
Nobody should earn that much money when so many people are in poverty.
It is obscene.
Football is no longer easy access for the common man...pay up or piss off.

Haaland can retire on one weeks wages !!

So even if you use the argument that footballers have a short career, it is still obscene. And in any case, just because a footballer has finished playing football it doesn't mean he isn't able to get a job, so the whole short career argument is rubbish.

According to this source (https://www.capology.com/)

The average annual wage of footballers are as follows.....

Premier league: £3,257,373
Championship: £656,942
League One: £164,536 (About the same as the UK prime minister, for a third rate footballer)
League Two: £107,598 (Still in the top 3% of wage earners)

And all for a part time job of a few hours per week.

I do not have a problem with top sportsman getting a very good wage, especially the ones that are the best at what they do. But those figures are disgusting.

Why are they disgusting?

You are right. Once a footballer retires doesn't mean he can't get a job and plenty do within the sport
The wage decrease will be eye watering.

Why are they disgusting?

You are right. Once a footballer retires doesn't mean he can't get a job and plenty do within the sport
The wage decrease will be eye watering.

Sorry, are you looking at the same figures as me ?

If you can't see why a third rate footballer in league one, working about 15 hours a week or less, getting roughly the same wage as the prime minister of the country or the same as a brain surgeon, is not in any way disgusting then fair enough.

And do you think it is perfectly reasonable that a player in the 4th tier of English football, who in any other sport would not even be a professional at that low level, can command a wage that 95% of the country can only dream of , which is roughly 3 times that of a full time nurse ?

Or even at the upper levels where "average" premier league players make more in 6 months than most people earn in a lifetime.

And with a lot of the money in sport now coming from countries which at the very least have "questionable" moral practices, it is all very much disgusting however you look at it.

Yes I am looking at the same figures.

Should nurses get paid more absolutely and let's throw the in junior dr's at that aswell. The PM and the MP's are over paid.

My question to you now is. What is the actual problem with man earning multi millions a year. To do something he is extremely talented at?

Back in the day, footballers often retired with just enough testimonial money to set themselves up in a nice country pub, where old fans used to turn up to wish them a happy future/retirement, with a nice side income.
I have been there and seen it first hand.
Then silly money came in round the edges, including my own Blackburn Rovers.
Jack Walkers money came in, I stopped going.
Anyone can buy the league with enough money.
He did.
Footballers may have a desired talent, but the income now is obscene, simply because of the imbalance in incomes.
Many thousands of kids get their first exposure to hard gambling at the football, many young footy academy players face their first real heartbreak when they aren't kept on at sixteen.
Rip off prices are at the heart of it all.
Football is now little more than a foreign millionaires plaything, a vanity project for the rich, a bit like Branson's rockets.

That's all very well said rob. Truth is. Its always been a rich man's play thing difference is, the local business like jack walker just come from further a field now. At no point should a state own a club like city and Newcastle. The Germans are protesting against this sort of thing now. What we have done in this country is allow it happen, because.......... We wanted the best players here to sell the premier league brand.

If you think footballers on stupid brass. Don't ever look at how much a golfer gets paid by LIV!!!.

Everyone has made a valid point. Compared to nurses and teachers. It's ridiculous money. But you can't begrudge them as humans for excepting money someone is willing to give them.

Oh no, as a good communist I begrudge them every penny over a "good" wage.
You sir are the first footy fanI have heard defending their income though!
Every other fan I have discussed it with has thought player wages have become obscene.

And a good tale about what ex footballers do in their thirties...
Tom Finney, the Preston Plumber.
He did his plumbing training, knowing he needed a career for the second half of his working life.
He was the most expensive plumber for many miles around, but his order book was fuller than full.

I do actually think they are paid too much. The PL is cash cow for sorts that shouldn't near the sport. We should, have a system like Germany has.

It's not the players fault. What people have failed to mention is people who don't even play the sport making millions off players. Agents. citys lawyers are paid more than haarland. Their job is fuck the sport over even further by bending the FFP laws. City supporters chant a lawyers name. That just isn't right.

For me, MPs are paid far to much. If we are to talk about the poor state of nurses and teachers wages, let's not forget that MPs will happily block a pay rise for them, whilst gleefully accepting a pay rise for themselves. Whilst having public funded tax breaks and grants for second houses and dinner at work etc. Whilst also, collecting big checks from firms and tv channels. Whilst being able to influence policy to help firms.

Yes they are paid to much. No, I won't get too angry at a bloke in league 1 getting paid the same wage as millionaire rishi sunak.

many young footy academy players face their first real heartbreak when they aren't kept on at sixteen.
I have see this first hand. Although the academy went to 18yr old.
We had an academy that used our on site accommodation. After every 'pack your bags, your are going home' we knew 2 hours later we would be in the accommodation fixing the damage caused by the failed football wannabe.

Yes I am looking at the same figures.

Should nurses get paid more absolutely and let's throw the in junior dr's at that aswell. The PM and the MP's are over paid.

My question to you now is. What is the actual problem with man earning multi millions a year. To do something he is extremely talented at?
I do not have a problem with talented people earning a lot of money. But when does it become an obscene amount ?

And whether you agree with the current PM's policies or not , I would argue that the person running the country, with all the pressures and difficult decisions it brings , should probably earn more than a third rate striker in league one that barely does even part time hours and probably can't hit a barn door from more than 5 yards !

And @rob666 made a good point. Footballers have always had a good wage, but in the past it was less of a gap between them and the average person. Hence the testimonials.

In 1968, George Best arguably became one of the first superstar celebrity footballers. He was one of the best in the world at that time.

His reputed wage was £1000 a week , while the average wage was £30 a week. I am pretty sure there were plenty of people back then who were saying his wage was obscene at 33 times more than the average.

Compare that to today's superstar of the English football league Eric Harland. He earns £375,000 a week and the average wage is around £700 a week. So he earns over 500 times the average wage.

So yes it is obscene without a doubt. Sportsman in general are vastly over paid these days. It's not just football.

Subscription TV has been the catalyst for this , and now there is the added billions from questionable oil rich countries.

It's a great time to be a professional sportsman , I think we can all agree on that.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited: