• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forbidden Valley: Future Changes?

I just thought, whilst I don't think they would do it, what if MMM decided to remove the 'gun' that was there and replace it with the Phalanx vehicle which was stationed next to Sub-Terra?

Maybe have it damaged or even covered with the tendrils/flesh of Nemesis, as they could explain it by saying that the vehicle was attempting to attack Nemesis when she 'woke up' and disabled by her?

Why does everything need explaining?

Interesting that refill station is being rethemed into the new Nemesis area, it was also repainted when Air got rethemed into Galactica.

This is the first time we've seen something Galactica rethemed for the Nemesis makeover, so it looks like the whole area could be rethemed after all...

I wonder if they would add the red tenticles to it, wether as a 3d part or just paint I think it would fit in with the rest of the theme.

Also I wonder if this means the other 2 buildings (the arcade and ripsaws cafe) will be black.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only worry now is that the area becomes overkill in trying to portray the monster as having taken over.

What has been done so far, though, does look really cool. Quite impressed.

They need to make FV the highlight of the park again and it seems like they are very much on the way to achieving that what with Nemesis 2.0 and Sub Terra being back open. All that's missing now is a top class Flat ride in Ripsaw's place and Galactica getting some TLC.

I think it's probably right to say X Sector has taken over in recent years due to the popularity of The Smiler and also having what is still a very good B&M as the support ride in the area.

@Benjsh totally agree. I think this is the first real project of the new merlin era at AT and it's been executed well.

From what I've heard from various sources the park are looking to refresh all areas over a 10-15 year period. Additional hardware will appear in each area. I can see a floor less topspin being put in FV. A member on here who seems to know a fair bit has eluded to this being in 24, which also goes hand in hand with other rumours I've heard and seen online.

Last edited:
I hope they do more with these buildings as they just look like soulless tin sheds now they are just black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Considering this should be the Klugheim, Jumanji, Avalon, Frontierland of the park. Arguably one its signature areas.

The level and volume of installation is back in the 90s still.

Hope I’m wrong but there’s still a long way to go. I wonder if the installation cycle is wrong and maybe Alton should work on a 4 year installation period with only one medium/minor installation in between rather than yearly and increase the quality.

Especially given current space constraints

If I'd said a year ago that they were going to rip out the Nemesis drill and replace it with an ugly military helicopter, I would have meant it as a pessimistic joke. But now it's actually being considered? My word would that be a crappy replacement.

I imagine the drill itself could just be removed for maintenance. But I believe the theming over it was some sort of fibre glass over wire netting? So I doubt it's something that would be worth removing in tact to tart up. Even I'm not that pessimistic to believe they'd just remove it and chuck another helicopter there, so my money is on them theming the drill akin to the style of the creatures legs or something similar.

The shiny black paint job over everything looks cheap and absolutely awful so far. It would take a hell of a lot of theming to make that look good. It's still early days, but if just chucking paint over existing stuff is how they plan to refresh the rest of the place then god help us all.

05f53479ee2bda1906b67bcc9c0727de.jpg

8c7bc7f4a04dd60edebf499a6b947433.jpg

For anyone with withdrawal symptoms this hits the spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05f53479ee2bda1906b67bcc9c0727de.jpg

8c7bc7f4a04dd60edebf499a6b947433.jpg

For anyone with withdrawal symptoms this hits the spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As much as I loved the look of it - it's clear that it was reaching the end of its life due to rust and poor maintenance. If it's replaced with something that still makes the entrance into FV exciting and tone-setting, then I'm fine with it. However, if it's being cleared for a game unit or - shock horror - left empty, then I wouldn't be ok with that.

I just wished they'd double down on the mad max / waterworld / apocalyptic pagan wasteland theming that was there. They could have really leant into it as it was such a fun theme. If anyone has been to Glastonbury festival, it has some areas like this that are SO fun and interesting. So many things going on to explore without rides.

My worry is that we have another ride that leans on a watertight "story" instead of working with a quirky and fun vibe. You didn't need to know the story of Nemesis and Forbidden Valley, you took it in as a whole and was unique and interesting. Something to peel back and explore. 'Military locks down Alien Monster' seems a bit on the nose and aggressive in letting you know how to feel, rather than allowing the guest to soak something in.

The original Forbidden Valley didn't explain it to you. That's what made it cool. It was clear that some **** had gone down. It was just a cool and photogenic place to be.

Now it looks like we're being spoon fed some nonsense from a load of soldiers, leaving nothing to the imagination.

Last edited:
The part that I find odd, is they don’t seem to “build” anything anymore that could be considered theming.

Buildings, landscapes etc. it’s all the absolute bare minimum to not make it a funfair. Thirteen, Rita, Smiler, Wickerman. The last two had the set piece objects but really that was it. The quality of what was installed on smiler was atrocious, its upkeep even worse.

Compare that to RMT, Gloomy Wood , Forbidden Valley. Merlin hasn’t progressed from those, arguably it’s regressed.

The parks are now money printing machines, with a business model created by hoteliers. And not good ones either. The race to mediocrity continues, I’d argue it’s a good metaphor for Britain and how it runs its businesses.

I don’t know what this company is striving for now, at all. If I’m paying £200+ a night for a hotel, a 25 year old hotel lobby, some screens and terrible service won’t last.

They’ve forgotten they are a themed attractions company, and are competing with parks across Europe and the rest of the world. The execution and quality of these attractions is what pays the bills, and the execution and quality at the moment is crap.

The problem is every project they undertake is largely just a rehashing of what was already there.

Additionally, for the past 10 years every theme has has been so convoluted it has required some form of explanation to guests (Smiler walls explaining the Marmaliser, Wicker Man preshow). There is nothing wrong with just implying some sort of theme - which is what they used to do and what 99% of theme parks in the world do. Arguably the last time this was done effectively was Mutiny Bay, and before that Ug Land(!!).

As time progresses, theming deteriorates and management changes, all these ideas get lost and the areas become a total mish mash of rubbish and the areas lack any coherent identity.

I hope they aren’t continuing down this formula of splashing out on one big centrepiece (in this case the Nemesis alien, which I think looks great so far) and then slapping paint on everything else. I reserve judgement on the new Forbidden Valley as its several months away from opening, but if all they are doing is painting every existing building black and adding military vehicles then it really is quite charmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got to laugh, one minute all is loving the work and one comment later that says its not good then everyone hates it.

Huh, I personally really have no clue what to expect although I do hope they add more details to the theme rather than just black buildings. Actually I'm suprised Sub Terra hasn't had black paint added to it yet.