• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forbidden Valley: Future Changes?

This is turning out to be a massive mixed bag for me. I really like what they have done to the monster, I also like the black and red track design.

I hate the generic fencing and the shipping containers.

I am unconvinced about the entrance feature and the helicopters seem lazy.

Same

The monster looks like it could be great.

The tidy up of mushroom cloud tours and the general area is good.

The warehouse fencing, helicopters and shipping container look Merlin generic woeful.

Given this is arguably the most important roller coaster in the history of UK, arguably one of the most recognisable in the world. Its answer to Rookburgh, Klugheim, Avalon etc. It just doesn’t appear to have turned out to be up to much.

It doesn’t appear as well put together as Jumanji and they haven’t had to start from scratch. Whether this is due to higher demands from Sony we’ll have to wait and see.

I really hope I’m proved very wrong come March 16th, and I’m sure everyone will just be happy to have the ride back.

I just find given the importance, scrutiny and rich history of the area. Some of the creatives decisions are odd

The evidence appears to show Merlin cannot/wont compete with the “better” European theme parks. I appreciate the business models are different but it seems lost at the moment

I'm with you on that. In the 25 years I've been riding Nemesis, I never knew what it was other than what looked like a piece of machinery and if you had asked me before now to say what it was, I'd have said it was a piece of rollercoaster (motor/gearbox etc). It was only when this refurb started that I found out what it actually was.

Thing is, they could've easily removed the gun and flattened that area over to create more space - the easy and cheaper option, so at least we have this helicopter as a piece of theming. I for one like it.

They could have just left it, refurbished it. Add some scenic lighting and filled the smoke machine…

I agree i usually jst walked past it without realising what it actually was. Even now i couldnt describe it to you
I think the idea was that it was some sort of abandoned excavation equipment (I only recently realised it was some sort of drill rather than an engine type thing), which obviously doesn't work with Phalanx moving back in after 30 years

They could have just left it, refurbished it. Add some scenic lighting and filled the smoke machine…

I think the idea was that it was some sort of abandoned excavation equipment (I only recently realised it was some sort of drill rather than an engine type thing), which obviously doesn't work with Phalanx moving back in after 30 years
I suspect @Mykeprime's theory is the reason why it has gone and not just been refurbished; it has no place in the new storyline

I live near and frequent the national coal mining museum. They have a whole engineering shed of similar items that wouldn't look out of place in the "old" theming.

If they are going for dystopian experimental theme then an old mining drill doesn't fit though I will with old judgement on the choppercopter until it's all done.

I live near and frequent the national coal mining museum. They have a whole engineering shed of similar items that wouldn't look out of place in the "old" theming.

If they are going for dystopian experimental theme then an old mining drill doesn't fit though I will with old judgement on the choppercopter until it's all done.
I would agree i think if the dystopian experiment and attempted containment theme this could work, i am waiting for the rest to judge

The shipping container!!! 😂

“Ahh, balls. We’re never going to fit a shipping container in with that helicopter. This will never be a true Merlin attraction.”

“Sir, we found a mini shipping contai…”

“PAINT IT BLACK AND SLAM THE THING DOWN!”

The helicopter isn't finished, it doesn't look as creative as the Nemesis drill was, but I really like the Nemesis tentacles wrapping around the rocks.

Yeah it's not as much effort buying a disused helicopter but if they wrap tentacles around it, have the blades rotate and add some lighting and smoke machine, making it look lively and animated, that would create one hell of an impression when you first walk into the area...

Gonna let them cook with that helicopter, love the tentacles wrapped around the standing stones (and that pole!) sure we’ll see some pulling at that chopper soon.

Old Forbidden Valley had heaps of character and I will miss it, but showing the monster as a living, all consuming thing is a fun direction to go in. The Phalanx as the most useless PMC ever is a nice dash of that Towers cheekiness as well.

Potentially, the Phalanx could have kept the drill so they could more easily be able to extract the DNA of the Nemesis creature rather than extract it from the monster itself (much safer) in order to genetically modify the Nemesis creature.

As other have said the helicopter isn’t quite finished I’m sure but the love for tentacles on it. Why?

It’s on a pad. It would look far better if it looked like the tentacles had grabbed it mid air and caused it to crash.

Waiting to see what the gun ends up like.

Very mixed bag. So close to excellent from what we’ve seen so far.

As other have said the helicopter isn’t quite finished I’m sure but the love for tentacles on it. Why?

It’s on a pad. It would look far better if it looked like the tentacles had grabbed it mid air and caused it to crash.

Waiting to see what the gun ends up like.

Very mixed bag. So close to excellent from what we’ve seen so far.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing the helicopter broken in two as if the tentacles had grabbed it from the air and ripped it apart. Could have been a nice theming feature at the entrance to the queue line if you had to walk between the two halves.

Last edited:
If there are tentacles, perhaps they might be pulling at the yet to be installed rotor blades?

I genuinely really hate the military influence. I didn't really like the phalanx angle from the beginning and I really dislike how much of an influence it has had on forbidden valley as a whole, i love what they have done with the track and the station, but the helicopters and tanks for me is just terrible 😔

I would have preferred a literal boulder than this helicopter