• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

Glad to see the swap of Monaco for Canada. As prestigious as Monaco is for drivers, it becomes a follow the leader a lot of the time. Last years was an exciting beginning, several laps of follow Mark Webber and then started getting exciting again when it started drizzling. Canada always seems to be full of drama and exciting racing.

mark9 said:
Glad to see the swap of Monaco for Canada. As prestigious as Monaco is for drivers, it becomes a follow the leader a lot of the time. Last years was an exciting beginning, several laps of follow Mark Webber and then started getting exciting again when it started drizzling. Canada always seems to be full of drama and exciting racing.
Always liked Monaco as a race but i think it's just to do with the location and the history

The fees system is now RIDICULOUS!

Basic fee for each team entering is $500,000 (Acceptable)
For every point scored in 2012, $5,000 needs to be payed (except Red Bull who being current champions have to pay $6,000 per point.) So Red Bull's fee is USD$3,260,000.

Oh really close to start of season, really looking forward to it and can't wait to live testing at 2pm tomorrow

Testing has got me really excited for this, going to be a struggle waking up Sunday morning, but should be worth it.

Just out of interest, has anyone been watching in 3D?

Ian

Testing is notoriously unreliable in revealing teams' pace ahead of the season. Nevertheless, bring it on.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Finally got around to having Sky installed for this season, so this is the first bit of winter testing I've been able to catch.
The new Caterham is NOT a nice colour, and that is my immediate reaction!
Vettel favourite to win again from what I can gather, but I think he'll have tough competition and I reckon someone else will do it this year. McLaren and Mercedes both have strong line ups and very competitive looking cars, while Lotus will probably win a couple as well; that's my prediction.
On a personal note, I'm hoping the other Mercedes powered car has a stronger season again this time around - the midfield's going to be tougher than ever :)
2 weeks to go... :D

I'm expecting (and hoping) Mercedes to be embarrassed again this season. I think their incompetence has been shocking these last few years.

Tom said:
I'm expecting (and hoping) Mercedes to be embarrassed again this season. I think their incompetence has been shocking these last few years.

I know what you mean, for the last three years instead of employing a proper racing driver, they hired some old guy who spent much of his time crashing into people. What were they thinking?

I hope Hamilton fails. Ungrateful I think.

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Poison Tom 96 said:

What, just because he moved teams? Does that make every driver that's ever moved teams ungrateful? I'm sure he had his eye on 2014 when deciding to move to Mercedes.

Looks like the top 5 teams are relatively evenly matched. If this is indeed the case then we could be in for a very interesting season.

:)

Poison Tom 96 said:

There really is that many mistakes in my posts?! Damn this Tapatalk milarky! :)

Why would he have wanted to keep racing for a team when his car broke down nearly every other race? I fully support his decision to move teams, McLaren were going backwards and he needed get a fresh start.

From seeing Hamilton on Top gear did anyone else get the impression that he really did not like having to do all the sponsorship stuff.

IanB said:
Surprising news, Honda to return in 2015 and supply engines to McLaren, going to be very strange to see Honda powered McLarens

ayrtonsenna_mclarenhonda_hockenheimring_1990_1024.jpg

For many people, it's strange to see any engine other than a Honda in a McLaren. The combination of Honda, McLaren, Senna and Prost dominated F1 in the the late eighties and very early nineties which are seen by many as the glory days of the team. Whilst the Mercedes partnership hasn't exactly been unsuccessful, it just hasn't yielded consistent results. It'll be interesting to see if Honda can still cut it as an engine supplier after their dismal and lengthy F1 campaign.

Would like to suggest watching "senna" it's brilliant documentary about F1 it's a really good watch

I've not fully read through this topic yet so I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned yet but what's everyone's view on Mclaren's choice to switch to a Honda engine due to Hondas better knowledge of turbo powered v6 engines due to their higher relevance to road cars rather than the super car industry which the sport is trying to pry away from because of the relatively small amount of money involved. Will this be a good move? Or should a manufacturer as big as Mclaren's have to produce their own engine?

Theortetically the upper hand with the new engines should be with Ferrari and Mercedes - but I suspect the latter's lack of commitment to F1 will mean this opportunity is wasted and Ferrari will regain dominance in the sport.

I do think these new engines are going to be another shocking downstep for Formula One. Already when you compare today's racing to that of ten years ago, the difference in speed and engine noise is breathtaking - just YouTube a video clip of a race from that era.

Not exactly directly linked to F1, but Andrew Benson - the BBC's online Formula 1 correspondent - has just stated on Twitter that Sir Frank Williams' wife Ginny has lost her long battle with cancer.