• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

Jonathan said:
Well, I think that was potentially the best race this season. Packed with incidents, rain making it unpredictable as ever, and Vettel winning his third consecutive world championship after that spin on the first lap. I would've preferred it for Alonso to win the title, but I suppose it's impossible to have everything. And congratulations to the BBC on their excellent coverage once again. If I heard correctly from the end of the show, all of next season's races will be live on the BBC. If that's true, then I'll be very happy! :)

There's the obvious aside that Vettel overtook under yellow flags - something that no one seems to have noticed. Let's just hope that now Hamiltion is free of the stagnant McLaren he can make the title race anything but a predictable borefest next season.

The point about Vettel could be countered by the fact that the car he overtook under the yellows (I think it was either Grosjean or Perez, but I'm not sure) then went into the pits, so Vettel wouldn't have been able to give that place back very easily.

It has been confirmed by the Race Stewards it was a Red and Yellow flag he overtook, so no harm done.

Fantastic race, both drivers have had good and bad luck in the race.

Next season can not come soon enough.

Ian

It's been a great season in whole, feeling bad for Lewis but congrulations to jenson and vettel for holding his title

Its been a good season, I like it when its nice and close. I hate the seasons when one person runs away with it.
This was indeed a good exciting race. Lots of things happening some good racing, again Red Bull gets some luck. I think if that was anyone else that got hit the way Vettel did then something important would have broken and they would have had to retire.

Still an enjoyable end to the season roll on next year!

Amazing, nail-biting race. Vettel did an amazing job to come from behind twice. He got lucky being let off over the yellow flag incident, but he deserved it for the way he powered through the field.

Alonso had a great race, that save towards the end was incredible.

Gutted for Hulkenberg, but can't say I wasn't laughing at Hamilton. It was beautiful seeing him trudge back to the garage, it really was.

IanB said:
It has been confirmed by the Race Stewards it was a Red and Yellow flag he overtook, so no harm done.

Ian

Not according to F1 Times...

The Psychoaster said:
IanB said:

Ian

Not according to F1 Times...

Just repeating what sky Sky were told. If we are going to moan about yellow flags, surely Alonso going off at Turn 1 when yellow flags were being waved could be considered ignoring yellow flags as well?

Like I said, both drivers had some good luck, and some bad luck. It was a very exciting race, lots of action and close racing through out the field.

Ian

Excellent way to end an exciting season and although he's not one of my favourites I can't deny Vettel is a worthy champion.

Aside from the on track action, here is a post I made on an F1 site about the coverage changes this year, something I feel quite strongly about...

I could write an essay on my thoughts of the coverage changes this year, but I won’t. In summary:

-Sky were horrific for the first few races, laughably bad considering the money they had clearly thrown at it. To their credit they have improved a lot through the season to somewhere around acceptable but still a long long way from the talk of amazing in depth coverage they were promising from the off. It is no more in depth than anything we’ve seen before and consists largely of puff and self promotion, although they keep screaming about how good and in depth they are and sadly people believe them without realising they are being conned. They are still sticking with the entirely pointless drink driver Georgie Thompson for reasons I (and presumably Ant Davidson) can not fathom. More of a personal thing but I can not stand Lazenby either, smarmy clueless grinner that he is.

-BBC have clearly suffered from the loss of personnel, and it seems at times a loss in belief in themselves. I actually really enjoy DC, but Ben Edwards is heading towards Ledgard levels of annoying inanity and sadly getting worse rather than better. Rather than being confident in what they are doing they seem to have tried to emulate some of the (lack of) style of Sky, with little things like pointless 10 second clip montage over music inserts. Since he has got used to a microphone I think Gary Anderson is excellent and the presenting trio I really do enjoy but can understand why they would annoy some.

-The BBC highlights qualifying shows have been a revelation. I really enjoy them, actually a lot more than the full versions. I didn’t realise how much of nothing going on there was in quali, I don’t feel like I’ve missed out on anything after watching the cut version and they are a more exciting watch throughout.

-The BBC main race highlights shows though are unwatchable for any avid fan. Constant unanswered questions of what the hell is going on are teased with the midfield, and occasionally front runners, jumping up and down the field on the on screen graphic with no hint of how or why this may be happening. Full reruns are required for non Sky viewers to maintain interest in the sport long term.

I get the feeling that some of the paddock aren’t fans of the Sky lot either, other than McLaren who are clearly in their pockets. I don’t know but, it seems a lot of personnel are happy to come out and talk to the BBC and relax and laugh along with them, when they are talking to Sky it is like they are going through the motions and can’t really be bothered with them. Little things like Vettel mugging of Brundle last week to speak to Coultard, the lack of access to Vettel Sky appear to have had this week (as pointed out by Keith and noticed by myself too) and just the rapport Jake and Eddie have with a lot of the big players, they always seem to get a lot more insight out of them.

So as most people predicted when it was announced, no one wins. The talent pool is spread between two places rather than being concentrated at one, no dream team exists on either channel and you have to accept the crap with the quality on each. Sky have kept their usual ‘Now in HD, it’s live, in HD and surround sound, coming up. All live’ stupid self promotion that I can not tolerate. All promises and little delivery. Thee BBC overall as a show I enjoy a lot more, aside from the rather important point of the main commentator and that for the actual race is useless for half the year. I have found myself being slightly less interested, less bothered, by what has been going on this year, even in such an exciting and interesting year.

I know some people dismiss the coverage discussion here as not important compared to the racing discussion, but for me at home if I can’t watch it the sport may as well not exist at all. It is not yet that I can’t watch it (until Sky inevitably start charging), but that I am enjoying watching it less even when the action is so good. How far away they have to push me until I can’t be bothered with it at all I don’t know, but it is sad that they are trying.

(tl;dr – overall coverage pretty much sucks on both sides, but for me sucks on Sky a bit more)

Vettel was a lucky lucky boy, how he managed to complete the race after that first lap incident is quite remarkable. I wasn't overly bothered who won the title as I'm not really a fan of either Vettel or Alonso, but I suppose it would have been nice for someone other than Vetell to win it for a change.

I was gutted when Hulkenberg knocked Hamilton off the track, it was such a sad way for him to have to end his time at McLaren. It would have been fantastic if Lewis could have won but it obviously wasn't to be. It will be interesting to see how he does at Mercedes next season; I just hope they come up with a decent car this time around. I suspect he will generally struggle next season though. Also, I fully expect him to be back at McLaren sometime in the future, possibly sooner than most people might imagine.

:)

I think Hamilton will struggle next year under Mercedes, although he's definitely playing the long game with this one.

With Ross brawn taking Lewis under his wing, coupled with the new "green" mercedes engine being developed for the 2014 season, which apparently all teams will have to use will ultimately give Lewis a massive advantage.

You heard it here first, Lewis to win the drivers championship and Mercedes to win constructors in 2014...it'll be a repeat of button with brawn gp all over again. By the time the other teams have played catch up with engine upgrades etc, Mercedes will be way ahead on points...

Brawn needs to look at himself and the team closely, he has simply lost it in the last three years. The gimmicky double DRS system hindered the car more than helped it. The team have gone backwards and there has been a comedy of errors (wheels falling off etc), four-second pit stops and breakdowns under Brawn's leadership. The team has lost too much ground and has been left behind by numerous other teams.

The 2014 engines could be scrapped or delayed according to recent quotes from Ecclestone.

I don't think Hamilton is patient enough to endure three years of failures and probably not winning a single race. I do however think he will embarrass Rosberg next year, who is poor.

It's an interesting choice. She's got plenty of experience in motorsport with MotoGP, and it'll be good to see how she'll get on. I was thinking they may go for Lee McKenzie, as she did quite well for the races she anchored this year, but I'm not too disappointed. Plus it'll make a change to have a woman being the main anchor. :)

I second that, Suzi's a great presenter. Disappointed that they dropped her and Ortis from the Gadget Show without any explanation but I'm sure she'll do great at F1 - a step up in her career.

Well past her sell-by date.

Lee McKenzie would have been a better option as she seems to be the only woman with genuine knowledge I've seen in Formula One media - but I guess it's possible she refused the position.

McKenzie may be knowledgeable but she was not much use as an anchor, totally out of her depth.

Suzi should be a good balance, she has plenty of live presenting experience and a solid interest and knowledge of motor sport.

More importantly, the couverage split has been announced.

1 Australian Grand Prix Sky
2 Malaysian Grand Prix Sky
3 Chinese Grand Prix BBC/Sky
4 Bahrain Grand Prix Sky
5 Spanish Grand Prix BBC/Sky
6 Monaco Grand Prix Sky
7 Canadian Grand Prix BBC/Sky
8 British Grand Prix BBC/Sky
9 German Grand Prix Sky
10 TBC BBC/Sky
11 Hungarian Grand Prix Sky
12 Belgian Grand Prix BBC/Sky
13 Italian Grand Prix BBC/Sky
14 Singapore Grand Prix Sky
15 Korean Grand Prix Sky
16 Japanese Grand Prix BBC/Sky
17 Indian Grand Prix BBC/Sky
18 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Sky
19 United States Grand Prix Sky
20 Brazilian Grand Prix BBC/Sky

Monaco is out, which was originally one of the guaranteed ones, which is a shame but I can understand why though as it has allowed for some better actual races. Don't know what will happen if TBC doesn't happen, surely BBC will get another to add on, hopefully of their choice and not $ky.

EDIT, when I wrote that it is all in line, but when I post it goes all over the place. For easier reading and date info see http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/12/21/bbc-f1-races-live-2012/

I'm quite happy with the coverage split, although I would prefer to have the US Grand Prix going out live instead of Japan - partly because Japan's pretty early in the morning, but also partly because the USGP this year was excellent, and I'd rather see that go out live. As for the TBC race, I'd love to see Turkey back. I enjoyed it, and was disappointed when it was dropped this year. I have a feeling that Bernie didn't want a race in Turkey after the débacle in 2006 when a trophy was presented by a representative of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, a disputed territory only recognised by Turkey. From 2008 onwards, the race was held in May, which is when students have university exams in Turkey. And which is the most popular audience for F1 in Turkey? Students! I reckon Bernie had something to do with this. I reckon because of the 2006 incident, he wanted Turkey to stop having a race, so he therefore got the race to be staged when attendance was likely to be lower so he could cite falling attendance as a reason for not wanting it to carry on. Yes, I may be overthinking it a bit, but it's a theory I've got.