• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

I'am not to sure how true this is but vettel is set to join Ferrari in 2014

There is rumour they have some sort of pre deal signed for when his Red Bull contract is up, but with a get out clause for either of them it is kind of worthless.

Ferrari always have a very rigid first driver / second driver structure from the off, Massa knows his place as did Barrichello before him. You have to go back to the early 90's to find Ferrari teammates that could be considered close to evenly matched with Alesi / Berger and even then I'm pretty sure Berger was supposed to be the clear number 1 with the development and strategy always based around his success.

So unless Ferrari change the whole structure of their team, which I'd say is incredibly unlikely, the only way Vettel would be joining the team is if Alonso was leaving. I can't see Alonso going anywhere though.

Ferrari are most likely to replace Massa with a solid but not exceptional mid-fielder, but one who is happy to accept his position in the team as Alonso's support driver. Vettel would surely not accept that position to Alonso, as Alonso would not to Vettel.

The Grand Prix of America will not be taking place next year due to various things, and will now take place in 2014. I'm quite disappointed, as it looked like it was going to be a good race. Now there's the question of what race could theoretically replace it. I've got a couple of ideas.

Turkey
Ever since I went to Turkey almost exactly ten years ago, I wanted a Turkish Grand Prix, and when it was announced that it was going to happen, it felt like a dream come true to an extent. I was disappointed when it was removed from the calendar this year, and would gladly see it return.

France
There have been talks for a while about France returning to the calendar at either Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard. This could be popular, but funding may be an issue, plus the teams know Paul Ricard like the backs of their hands, so the race could be boring.

Imola
Imola. A good track, and very popular with the fans, so to see it return would be wonderful for many people, myself included. I've considered the possibility of it returning ever since it was dropped several years ago, and with the removal of the final chicane and a new pit complex, now may well be the ideal time.

London
Bernie's pet project. It could take a lot of work, but it'd be popular with fans and broadcasters, and quite possibly the teams, too.

Of course, there may well not be another race next year - we could be left with 19 - but there's still the possibility of a 20th race happening. :)

EDIT: Bernie has apparently confirmed that it is unlikely a replacement race will happen.

Really cant believe the raikkonen is 3rd in the championship without winning a race. In theory he could win the title (assuming vettel and alonso dont finish any more races!) without winning once. This to me makes the new scoring system a farce

I wouldn't say that it's a farce - it rewards consistency, and Räikkönen has shown that throughout the season. Yes, he may not have won a race, but does that really matter? In my view, it doesn't. If he had a slightly quicker car, then he may have won a race or two, but he's a consistent performer, and he's shown that during the whole of this season.

true, but i think championships should be awareded to those who win the most. It seems illogical that a driver who hasnt won could still be champion.

Look at it in football terms, Everton are very consistent performers, but will they ever win the league? No.

JB1985 said:
true, but i think championships should be awareded to those who win the most. It seems illogical that a driver who hasnt won could still be champion.

Look at it in football terms, Everton are very consistent performers, but will they ever win the league? No.
Do you remember Bernie's proposal from a few years ago to award the championship to the driver who had won the most races during the season? It wasn't at all popular among the teams or fans, and it fell through, so I think you'd be in the minority with that viewpoint. And yeah, Everton may be consistent, but they just don't seem to have the squad power or the money to be able to challenge for the title - much like Räikkönen with Lotus this season.

Im not saying its no entertaining, i think this year has been the best racing in a long time, it just doesnt add up to me.

From an entertainment point of view though this years been great. But re points scoring, were going to have to agree to disagree i guess ;)

JB1985 said:
From an entertainment point of view though this years been great. But re points scoring, were going to have to agree to disagree i guess ;)

The beginning was anyway. Watching Vettel going round and round 10 seconds ahead of the pack, circuit to circuit isn't that entertaining (unless you're a Vettel fan, then its probably the best thing evarrr)

I desperately hope Raikkonen wins it - I despise Alonso and Vettel. Collectively they've turned F1 into an essential procession, week on week.

Was a good race, Very sad for Hamilton. Such bad luck.

Amazing race by Vettle. I did not think he was that good in traffic. But I dont feel anyone really tried to hold him back at all. Most people just seemed to pull out of the way.
He was also very lucky to not have more damage to his car from the contact.

Michael's bad luck also continues, that's racing unfortunately!

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Well, I've been away at Towers all day, but well done to Räikkönen for winning at last! :)

After seeing today's qualifying Austin Texas is looking a great addition to formula 1 2012. By the sounds of it the drivers have some complaints but it ok.

Hopefully it's another great race tommorrow

I have a horrible feeling that Vettel is just going to run away with the race tomorrow, which would be a shame. The circuit looks fantastic though, I've really enjoyed watching the cars on it. Really looking forward to seeing the cars going into turn 1 at the start tomorrow, it could be fun! Also hoping that the dirty side of the grid doesn't prove to be too much of a disadvantage.

:)

I don't mind if Vettel runs away with it, as long as they show all the action in the midfield.

I think a good clean start is import for Vettel tomorrow, as I can see there been a big accident in to Turn 1 when the race starts.

F1 is IF backwards so anything can happen.

Ian

I wonder if anyone has suggested to Hamilton to forget to brake at the first corner and "nudge" Vettel off......