• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

Indeed. It's pretty absurd.

We talking about Piquet Jnr here or is there something I have forgotten from that weekend?
Yes. A team sent a driver in the wall to optimally cause as much chaos as possible to get their other driver as far up the road after a SC as possible.

Massa was worst hit by that chaos.

It was wrong and he almost definitely would have won the WDC had it not happened.

That's motor racing. (And of course it was the same motor racing luck which had led to him becoming the frontrunner in the first place.)

Yes. A team sent a driver in the wall to optimally cause as much chaos as possible to get their other driver as far up the road after a SC as possible.

It was wrong and he almost definitely would have won the WDC had it not happened.

That's motor racing. (And of course it was the same motor racing luck which had led to him becoming the frontrunner in the first place.)
Ignore the "it's absurd" line, it was from a reply I didn't send a while back and missed it.

I guess ultimately we can play "whatabout" indefinitely. It's not useful. But equally I am accepting of Max's first title. It is what it is.

What about Ferrari cocking up his pit stop by releasing him before the fuel hose was out?

What about Ferrari cocking up his pit stop by releasing him before the fuel hose was out?
Yes, who's to say they wouldn't have done that without the forced SC. Also who's to say Max Verstappen wouldn't have got all the lapped cars and passed Hamilton on the final lap with his much fresher tyres.

The whole point is what happened happened. There is no such thing as a moral victory in motor racing.

RB have now supposedly ended their boycott of Sky, to me this just proves it was a move to stop talking about the cost cap

Maybe Sky were more probing of the BS than others.

I did chuckle at Andreas Seidl's respone when asked if we watched Horner's press event "I don't need to hear fairytales".

Aston have confirmed Vandoorne as their second reserve driver. This smells a lot like the ink on the paper for Niko to Haas.

Apologies, I'm not understanding how that is in any way comparable to the Masi-fix? A misguided team decision is not the same as a fraudulent race director decision.

Apologies, I'm not understanding how that is in any way comparable to the Masi-fix? A misguided team decision is not the same as a fraudulent race director decision.
"A misguided team decision" is a rather glib summary of a conspiracy where a junior driver was told to deliberately do something that risked the lives of himself as well as all the other drivers and safety personnel.

Fraudulent is quite the accusation too. I presume you have some evidence that Michael Masi committed fraud and you're not just mindlessly libelling somebody to try and make something sound worse than it actually was, of course.

All that aside, you raised the point that if it weren't for illegitimate actions outside Hamilton's control, he would now be an 8 time world champion. My reply is:
  1. That's ridiculous, there is no alternative version of the world championship where everything is fair and just and points are issued/lost accordingly; "that's motor racing".
  2. Even if there was, Hamilton still wouldn't be 8 time world champion because Massa would have won the 2008 championship rather than him.
Not to mention his own team knackered things up for Massa during the stoppage. It's a daft comparison all round.
I'm not comparing.

Last edited:
Great qual session, and fantastic performance by KMag. Not a fluke either, he has got it on merit. Its a shame he got it on a Sprint race weekend, but the variable weather might help him out. T1 in the Sprint race is going to be interesting.

Lets not talk about Ferrari, another poor session from them. Hopefully it is something they can work on over the winter period, as they can not afford to be making mistakes like they have been if they want to win.

When was the last time a team had it's drivers qualify first and last on merit...?

Great qual session, and fantastic performance by KMag. Not a fluke either, he has got it on merit. Its a shame he got it on a Sprint race weekend, but the variable weather might help him out. T1 in the Sprint race is going to be interesting.

Lets not talk about Ferrari, another poor session from them. Hopefully it is something they can work on over the winter period, as they can not afford to be making mistakes like they have been if they want to win.
I actually felt like the decision to send Leclerc on Inters was a bit of a tasty gamble and was pleasing to see. I then felt like an idiot for thinking that when they failed to call him in quickly enough.

I suspect part of the gamble was based on the assumption that they should have sufficient pace tomorrow to climb up the order if it went badly. We'll see if that plays out now I guess.

More rain please.

Made up for Magnussen.

Enjoyable sprint race, and the result means there could still be some action in the first third tomorrow.

RedBull played it to safe with Max. Certainly made the race more interesting though and means we have something to look forward to tomorrow.

Does anyone know the performance difference between softs and mediums. I do wonder if Max will go aggressive with the Softs he has unused.

Sprint races are better than a practice session but the weekend format and race reward still needs working on.

I despise the sprint races, completely unnecessary. Revenue chasing at the expense of the integrity of the sport and the quality of the main race. The exciting things that happened on that sprint race would simply have been part of the main race tomorrow. And as an added bonus I don't get to see any of the qualifying proper on C4 at all, presumably because of what Sky/F1 will allow them to show. Bobbins, the lot of it.

A great race throughout the entire field today. Good to see Mercedes finally showing up at the end of the season. Fingers crossed for Ferrari in Abu Dhabi though, with a good drive for both of the drivers today, particularly the comeback from Leclerc. I'm glad Sainz wasn't denied the podium for Leclerc's extra points however, and will make for a great Checo v Leclerc duel next time out.

I do feel for Checo though. He hasn't had the best few races recently, dropping well off the pace he clearly had. Stabbed in the back by Max as well after the defensive drives he's put in for him will be quite bitter, as seen in the post-interview comments.

Also felt for K Mag. He could have been in really good contention for a couple of points today. Ricciardo couldn't be gone sooner. Mick also had some good pace in him and it was a shame for him to miss out on the points. I suspect he knows his fate now however, with the Hulkenberg contract supposedly signed and sealed.

Another great drive from Seb. Confident he'll put on quite the show in Abu Dhabi.

As if it were possible for Costcappen to be any less likeable. A true scumbag, through and through. Never in his career will he be looked back on with the same respect afforded to the true greats, no matter how many championships are handed to him.

I expect Perez to leave RB at the end of this season now given that he will no longer trust the team or his teammate going forwards. Wonder who they'll bring in!

As if it were possible for Costcappen to be any less likeable. A true scumbag, through and through. Never in his career will he be looked back on with the same respect afforded to the true greats, no matter how many championships are handed to him.

I expect Perez to leave RB at the end of this season now given that he will no longer trust the team or his teammate going forwards. Wonder who they'll bring in!

This all over. Entitled arrogant jumped up little shit who’s ego is fed further by Red Bull and Horners obsession with him.

Congratulations to George. Thought Lewis was gonna catch him. Bodes well for next season now Merc seemed to have turned a corner