• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fun Spot USA, Florida - GCI Woodie "White Lightning"

Sazzle

TS Administrator
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Ripped from a previous post:

So the woodie seems to have INCREASED in height and intensity from previous plans, as the park have said finances permit this! Meet White Lightning!

Also, key points to note:
+ Rebranding of the park to Fun Spot America
+ Vekoma steel suspension coaster
+ 250 foot SkyCoaster as previously mentioned.

Press release as given to ThemeParkReview on 28/5/12:

Robb Alvey - TPR said:
Dear Robb,

In the past you have been kind enough to help Fun Spot get the word out about a number of different events or new attractions we have. We wanted to thank you by providing you information about one of our new roller coasters before it becomes public. Initially, the wooden (with steel supports) coaster that GCI was building for us was going to be “family Friendly’ and unique to Central Florida because of it’s wooden ride. However, as finances have permitted, we can develop a more challenging and thrilling coaster experience than we first planned on.

Below are some details about the new coaster and attached are 4 drawings of what GCI is presently building. This stills fits in with the Master Plan approved in March by the City Of Orlando. This coaster will be part of Rebranding to Fun Spot America, with a Vekoma steel suspension coaster and a 250 foot SkyCoaster, plus other family themed rides. The Grand Reopening will take place in February or March of 2013. This wood coaster will be called “White Lighting” and on clear night, you will see Moon shine off the steel struts. White Lighting will run parallel to two streets; Grand National and Touchstone.

White Lightning Stats:
Length= 2000ft
Height= 75ft
Max Speed= 48mph
Max drop= 58degress (world record coined “Claire Curve”)
Max bank angle= 90degrees (world record coined “Ariel Dive”)
Air time moments= apprx 18
Ride length= apprx 1:15min
Rumored by International Coaster Experts to become “the BEST coaster ride in Central Florida, maybe the world!!!”
Opening Feb 2013

New layout designs here as given to TPR.

Ninety degree banked turnaround? Oh go on then!

fun_spot_wht_lght_3_3d_layout2.jpg

GCI posted an onride POV simulation of the ride on their Facebook tonight.

Unfortunately I can't link directly as the video is hosted on Facebook and not YouTube :(.

Well I have to say, the whole place looks very promising,and White Lightning looks like a superb family wooden coaster!

I'm very excited to ride this in March!
:)

Robb Alvey - TPR said:
Below are some details about the new coaster and attached are 4 drawings of what GCI is presently building. This stills fits in with the Master Plan approved in March by the City Of Orlando. This coaster will be part of Rebranding to Fun Spot America, with a Vekoma steel suspension coaster and a 250 foot SkyCoaster, plus other family themed rides. The Grand Reopening will take place in February or March of 2013. This wood coaster will be called “White Lighting” and on clear night, you will see Moon shine off the steel struts. White Lighting will run parallel to two streets; Grand National and Touchstone.

That's good to be a good omen for its quality, right? ;)

Looks absolutely marvellous Saz. Wasn't this coaster originally just that boring off-the-shelf Big Fun thing? And then it seemed to get a little bigger, and turn into a family-thrill. And now we seem to have an out-and-out thrill woodie on our hands!

Good news for Florida as well, for all its parks, it's a little lacking in decent coasters outside of Tampa. I hope this one will be open late into the night for a post-Disney or post-Universal ride, that way, it doesn't eat into your 'proper park' time. ;)

Looks great, plenty of airtime and that banked turn looks intense! Seems to be quite fast as well from the POV - doesn't really slow down at all throughout the ride.

Seems like a fantastic woodie, very nice quick layout and love the turnaround, a nice fresh look for the classic out & back woodie.

According to Martyn B on CF, the project has been delayed by four months and will open in June 2013. On the upside, the Vekoma SLC being built will now also open in June rather than 2014. :)

I wonder if they intentionally delayed the woodie so they can open it and Vekoma SLC at the same time?

Well a four month delay is better than the entire project being called off, I suppose!

As has been said, perhaps its intentional that they've put it back to open the two coasters together?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

It looks like a Santa Fe. So the ride is called "White Lightning" but it's themed to trains? what?

I love those trains! That design is seriously cool! :D

I've just had a butchers at the TPR thread for Fun Spot and it seems like we've missed a fe updates that I may as well post on here too...

Three shots of parts to their steel coaster:

thumb_046_41.jpg

thumb_048_42.jpg

thumb_049_38.jpg

Hang on, this train isn't the same design as the one in that image that Sam posted just:
seat_1.jpg

front_view.jpg

side_0.jpg

Recent construction photos:

photo_64.jpg

photo_4_6.jpg

Credit to TPR and Fun Spot for those images.

I'm not sure, but it looks like in the photo that I posted, that horrible train thing at the front fits over the standard Millennium Flyer 'grill'. You can see it peaking out behind. Maybe that's why the grill is bland and unthemed, whereas it usually has a cool graphic on it.

Eddie said:
It looks like a Santa Fe. So the ride is called "White Lightning" but it's themed to trains? what?

Well they could hardly theme a train to under-age teenagers drinking cheap cider on a park bench could they? ;)

What's with the retro American train hate? :p
I think it's quite apt...

255213.jpg

stock-photo--s-american-built-diesel-electric-locomotive-in-a-beautiful-futuristic-streamlined-body-the-55131586.jpg

...is it not? I'm sure they'll explain the theme closer to when the ride actually opens.

:)

Sam said:
Well they could hardly theme a train to under-age teenagers drinking cheap cider on a park bench could they? ;)

Sam Mate, I was waiting for someone to make that sort of reference =P

It doesn't look like it has been posted but forgive me if everyone already knows this stuff...
(I'll highlight some of the key bits so people can glance through it)

RCDB page for Fun Spots Suspended Coaster:
Roller Coaster: Freedom Fighter
Type: Steel - Inverted
Make / Model: Vekoma / Suspended Family Coaster / Suspended Family Coaster (395m)
Dimensions: 294.9 ft x 161.1 ft
Categories: Family
Capacity: 758 riders per hour

Length: 1,295.9 ft
Height: 64.3 ft
Inversions: 0
Speed: 34.2 mph

Trains: Single train with 10 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in a single row for a total of 20 riders.

Nothing much happening as of yet, just the basic groundworks. Fun Spot have created a Facebook album for their construction updates for us to keep updated :).

A few footers
224811_10151600899266978_1526592492_n.jpg

Station concrete pouring?
28051_10151600899426978_1019465985_n.jpg