• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

And some of us have bodged everything in life.
Earlier post..."It would be embarrasing if it wasn't open for the last week of term for the school trips"...
Oh, err...

At this rate we will be lucky for it to open for August so just one month of the Peak season then it's slow September

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

No, they're official line is that it's routine maintenance and they do not know when it will re-open. It is embarrassing for Towers that Galactica has been down for the best part of 7-8 weeks this season because of lift motor issues.

:)

The VR just seems to add an extra (unnecessary) complexity to the rides operation & maintenance. If you want to add to the experience, try using high quality theming. There's all sorted of simple things that could be done to enhance the physical ride. Adding water effects/theming would go down well. What with the park being one water ride down, and the success of Sea World's "Manta"

Actually, wasn't that in the original plans for air? I'm sure I recall there being waterfalls, fountains, rocks, palm trees and the like. It's not like the ride was losing popularity before they bodged it up anyway!

Maybe they'll come to their senses at some point and reinstate the oasis theme in more detail. Heck a it's filled rock tunnel as in the original plans would make a hell of a difference!

*cough Manta cough*

Well someone was telling me on Sunday that they emailed AT and got the reply that there is no date yet and to follow social media channels to find out. No apology or anything else. If I treated customers like that I'd have no customers or job!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The VR just seems to add an extra (unnecessary) complexity to the rides operation & maintenance. If you want to add to the experience, try using high quality theming. There's all sorted of simple things that could be done to enhance the physical ride. Adding water effects/theming would go down well. What with the park being one water ride down, and the success of Sea World's "Manta"

Actually, wasn't that in the original plans for air? I'm sure I recall there being waterfalls, fountains, rocks, palm trees and the like. It's not like the ride was losing popularity before they bodged it up anyway!

Maybe they'll come to their senses at some point and reinstate the oasis theme in more detail. Heck a it's filled rock tunnel as in the original plans would make a hell of a difference!

*cough Manta cough*

Yes, the original plans did show flying over water, I believe this was initially planned for the tunnel as you flip over from being on your back, so as you skim the side wall you would be passing a waterfall then over face down so you are facing water below in the "lake" as you go through and out of the tunnel.

Not sure about the palm trees etc but water was definitely part of the initial plans. Thinking about it, what would have been easy to have done (I say easy, lol, but prob cheaper than the VR) would have been to have had a kidney shaped reservoir at the bottom of the initial drop, with water jets, so as you come off the lift hill, water jets spray up (not touching the riders), and each jet decreases in height following the contours of the drop just to give people that extra thrill!

I think effects would be better than VR to be honest.

This is all just a thought I mashed together but I think it would be neat.

So basically, alog the lines of what Blizzard said, Waterfalls, Palm Trees, Sand etc to represtent a Tropical planet, Have another planet in terms of scenery based off another creative idea of what MMM can come up with. And have the lift hill video from the VR projected onto Air's Tunnel and play the audio from that scene in some form up the lift hill.

I think it would be a much better way to deliver a story than the VR, and it would most likely be better received by the GP (Who of which I've heard as bad complaints from them as enthusiants).

Wow, I haven't had a big ramble like that in a while!

Sticking your head in a bucket with a Princess Leia poster at the bottom would be better than the VR right now.

Personally I'm ready for VR to be stripped out and have it returned to AIR. Its not like Merlin have the greatest track record in creating/maintaining a theme, so hoping for an Oasis will only lead more disappointment.

Alton Towers have started saying that they expect Galactica to re-open very soon. Typical that they get the part right at the end of the school trip season!

:)

If they can stick a big ass plane, firetruck and helicopter in the middle of The Swarm surely they can build a couple of fibre glass rocks and some plastic palm trees for Air o_O
I'd be interested to know how much they saved by not doing it originally. Unless it was just a time thing, it still had lots of niggles when it opened.

I'm hearing reports on MAP FB page (Pics posted by Lee Bibby) that they been testing Galatica tonight :)

9R7jeLl.jpg

sRPRG7y.jpg
sRPRG7y.jpg

Last edited: