• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

Besides the awful "re-theme" has Air ever had any major work to overhaul the ride system? I wonder if they could spend some money on it and use more modern technology to make the ride a bit more reliable?
That'd be an excellent idea and one I totally agree with. B&M will have almost certainly progressed far beyond Air's system seeing as it was the prototype. Can't comment on other flyers, but do any of them have quite the same amount of drastic downtime?

Unfortunately though I doubt they'd want to spend that money, even though it'd greatly improve reliability, which impacts guest satisfaction, which impacts return visits, reputation etc.

Besides the awful "re-theme" has Air ever had any major work to overhaul the ride system? I wonder if they could spend some money on it and use more modern technology to make the ride a bit more reliable?

It had an upgrade very early on in its life with the transmitter that talks to the train. I don’t think it’s had much more since.

The modern flyers have had a lot of upgrades since Air.

Do modern flyers have the same issues that Galactica has always had with the seats locking ready for dispatch?

Or are all similar ride stations cursed with ‘row 3 seat 2 and row 5 seats 1 and 4’ blasting over the PA all day?

While air may be no longer be the most advanced flying coaster, I think its definitely still one of the most unique ones as other flying coasters after that focused more on the thrill factor of a conventional Roller Coaster, rather than a slow and smooth feeling like you're actually flying. I still think the original air theme is still the strongest out of all the flying coasters (which are mostly themed to superman), until Galactica came in that is.

Imagine if they went ahead and added all that theming around air was originally planned with. I think it would be a lot of people's favourite flying coaster then in terms of theme and how the coaster would interact with the scenery.

Last edited:
While air may be no longer be the most advanced flying coaster, I think its definitely still one of the most unique ones as flying coaster after that focused more on the thrill factor of a conventional Roller Coaster, rather than a slow and smooth feeling like you're act flying. I still think the original air theme is still the strongest out of all the flying coasters (which are mostly themed to superman), until Galactica came in that is.

Imagine if they went ahead and added all that theming around air was originally planned with. I think it would be a lot of people's favourite flying coaster then in terms of theme and how the coaster would interact with the scenery.
I still enjoy it, I put it in the class of an "easy ride" you don't always want a coaster to blast your head off. It still offers a unique experience compared to other coasters. I remember when it opened and the queues were ridiculous.
The one part of the station that feels over engineered for me is the whole floor drops, I'm sure they could have got away with something better there and less costly

They also have the lowering floor on Nemesis, and that doesn’t seem to have the same issues as Galactica.

I reckon Galactica’s issues are more likely to be something to do with the restraint sensors; the amount they have to recheck restraints would certainly point that way, anyhow.

Wish they'd sort the lighting out around the portal. It looked way more impressive (especially at night) because the lights were synced up with the train going through it.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

I did notice last night when we left the park that the lights on the outside were on, but it’s hard to see in the day. I know back in the day they used to change when the ride went through it. From red to blue.

I've moved a number of posts into the Future of Forbidden Valley topic regarding potential changes to Galactica for the time being.

Please keep all rumours and speculation to potential FV changes, including Galactica in that topic for the time being. If anything is confirmed in future, we'll re-jig topics as necessary :).

I was in the queue for galactica earlier and noticed that at the track switch the side wheels on the bogies (or clusters) move reletive to the bogie to follow the track better and was wondering on the mechanism used for this, is it a spring and pivot or a more complex system?
(for clarification I am not talking about the bogie pivoting, it looks as though the individual side wheels move in the bogie)