• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

Don't know if it counts as a medical condition, but surely it would be pointless to use VR if you were long sighted. No way of proving that your not either ;)

I've seen it stated on social media that medical or "exceptional" circumstances permit you to be emitted from wearing a headset.

Lord Jesus do I detest that TV advert! The short ten second advert is even worse. The woman sounds unenthusiastic and disinterested, not computer generated or ethereal sounding like it should be - the old air advert voice sounds more space like than this!!...actually that entire advert looks far more space-like and appropriate than this rubbish.

Towers street at the beginning looks poor too and that bloomin' logo "alteration" looks fresh out of windows movie maker.
They should use their proper space logo and animated the wisps to make it look alive.

Went to towers today to give Galatica a try. Thought the graphics/timing of the trains movement worked really well and really liked the lift hill sequence but the rest of the ride just felt at bit of a rush, I wanted to enjoy it but for some reason got off not feeling that fussed by it. I'll go on it again but it didn't leave me wanting to rush to rejoin the back of the queue the way other rides have done after going on them the first time.

@Leah Poor eyesight doesn't appear to be a good enough reason not to wear a headset at the minute. My other half is incredibly short sighted, we knew the headsets are designed for a lot of correction but thought he would give it a try but his vision is just beyond what they could accommodate. He explained that he couldn't correct the image so it was all still blurry but wasn't given the option to not to use wear the headset.

I've seen a lot of reports regarding long or short sightedness. Can you wear your glasses with the headsets?

I've seen a lot of reports regarding long or short sightedness. Can you wear your glasses with the headsets?

I can't imagine so, no. There isn't much room in there to start with anyway once they are on.

I also found the headsets to be painful and putting a lot of pressure on my ears and the sides of my head, so I imagine this would be a lot worse with glasses on also.

Oh well, thats another ride off the Alton Towers lineup for many this year to add to the ever increasing list of rides not available - Air!!!

Seriously though, Towers are stupid, instead of aiming to please by giving people the option, they force it upon you. For many young kids, Air would be their first major coaster in terms of upside down riding, I doubt many would want to go on it first with a black VR mask over their face!

Bad bad decision.

I can't imagine so, no. There isn't much room in there to start with anyway once they are on.

I also found the headsets to be painful and putting a lot of pressure on my ears and the sides of my head, so I imagine this would be a lot worse with glasses on also.

This appears to have been badly thought out. There will be a large number of guests who wear glasses and being forced to wear a headset that may not work due to either: wearing them and being very uncomfortable or they have to be taken off with reported focussing issues for long and short sighted people. :confused:

I shall reserve full judgement until after my visit this month.

No glasses have to me taken off on Galatica and the focus adjusted accordingly on the headset. For info the other half reckons they adjust down to about -10 so there is a decent range that can be accommodated, it's just an issue if your eyesight is worse than this.

No glasses have to me taken off on Galatica and the focus adjusted accordingly on the headset. For info the other half reckons they adjust down to about -10 so there is a decent range that can be accommodated, it's just an issue if your eyesight is worse than this.

I should have said also; I have very poor eyesight without my glasses on (not sure of the actual measuring off hand) but I am extremely short sighted, and I actually found it fine using the focus wheel on the top. The picture was crisp and clear when I had adjusted it.

Did Galactica for the first time on Saturday, have to echo what everyone else is saying that it is rather good up until the end of the lift hill. After that there is just no time to really grasp what is happening. The only part of the ride where I was able to establish where I was along the track was during the barrel roll.

The ride in its current form is simply not sustainable. Onload/offload/cleaning is a complete faff and I do not anticipate the VR lasting very long at all. Ridetimes gives queues of 0 mins for everything else bar Galactica of 60 as I write this.

The headache option doesn't work. Took my sons friends and one didn't want to wear it, he does suffer with headaches so we tried this and the attendant went away to ask her supervisor who came back saying if the headaches are bad enough to not wear VR headset then he shouldn't be on the ride.... At the time I just told the kid to put it on, but in heindsight, I'm actually kind of irritated.

I have suffered with migraines all my life, and something like VR could easily set one off, I would never let migraines stop me from living my life and getting on rollercoasters - so being a sufferer myself, if I decided after trying with the VR that it caused a headache for the rest of the day where riding a normal coaster does not, how can it be up to them to decide that my headaches are too severe to ride at all? Are they doctors too? Anyway, rant over.

On another note, on our second ride I took the headset off at the top of the hill lift and wore it on my forehead. No one said anything to me when I got off, but it did make me wonder about the safety of this. Forcing people to wear them, people will take them off and then have them fly into their own faces.... I preferred the ride without the headset but it wasn't awful with it. Just not really as exhilarating.

I think they've shot themselves in the foot here with VR initially being optional. They should have made a decision and stuck to it.

I love the way the game prize portal saying you won 100 creditscand gives you 50 credits

I think they've shot themselves in the foot here with VR initially being optional. They should have made a decision and stuck to it.
I really wish they would tell us why... Them not telling us makes me think it's definitely a safety concern and they are trying to keep it secret so it doesn't end up in the press.