• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Game of Thrones

Looks like we're well in to S8 filming now. It also looks like there's going to be an even higher risk of leaks than in previous seasons thanks to production changes... Season 8 scheduled for 2019 release, which is a long while yet so it better mean we get higher script quality.
I've got to admit, I loved watching the show most in its early seasons, back when it wasn't as much of a hit in the UK, mainly due to the fact it was much more loyal to the source material and had far more scenes of exposition, particularly during the period where Tyrion was acting Hand of the King. Now I just feel whilst it is enjoyable to watch, it's rushed, feels more like fan service, and D&D clearly want to pack it all up and move on to other things. My favorite season was probably Season 3: I loved Beric Dondarrion and the brotherhood without banners and how they all resided in the Hollow hill, which reminded me of the Ithilian/Window of the Sunset parts of Lotr. Dany was still likable in this season too...
Anyway, don't want to ramble too much :) Things I'm looking forward to most as the new season creeps closer:
-They NEED to make use of Samwell. Okay, he's found out about Aegon/Jon, and healed Jorah, but he's hardly learnt sorcery or the right to wear a valyrian chain link, please sort this out :)
-Dany needs to fulfill her Mad queen arc and hopefully die north of the wall, which would be best done by Jon sacrificing her to forge Lightbringer. I really hope she doesn't survive...
-Jaime, an incredible character, must have loads of scenes, especially with Tyrion and the remaining Starks, he's such an interesting guy, nothing more to say
-Euron's role, which I suspect is more important than many realize, must be brought to light
-The battle scenes will be awesome. I'm not worried about this at all. The cinematography is superb.
Outside of the Show, and in terms of spin offs, the continents of Sothoryos and Ulthos should be explored more. And I'd love to know more about Asshai (where Melisandre originates from) and how the warlocks there go about their lives.

Last edited:
Double post, but a year later so please let me off :p
The hype is real. I am very much looking forward to seeing the lengths of these episodes, D&D have got a lot of stuff to work with and they can focus the budgets in a higher concentration over fewer episodes, just hope they don't do anything stupid, and keep to the source material (well, the currently not finished Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring novels).

Jaime in the Northern armor caught be off guard big time, almost looks like Robb Stark's armor (I think there's a very good chance that it is :) )

Also, anyone else watched GoT right back since the beginning? I found it hard to find someone else who watched the show in the UK back in 2011/12. After a certain wedding all the way back in Season 3, that changed :)

Next week is the week. I fear that there will be many deaths of characters we love.

Of course mate. Reunions are all done, this is it, down hill for them.
I god damn love this series and I have many theories.

Literally just finished watching it live. Wow. That certainly lived up to the hype. I'm saying nothing more to avoid giving away any spoilers.

I don't watch it. Couldn't care less. But the missus watches, so it was on.

... I couldn't actually see a damn thing, of course, thanks to the fact that Sky seem to be broadcasting it at about 230i with less bandwidth than a broken Atari 2600. It was just a black screen with occasional orange things flickering. And the vast swaths of black were so pixilated that the image was stripey.
I have no idea who the characters are, but I can recognise the actors. Usually. Not this time. Honestly couldn't see what was happening to whom at any point.

Of course, they made sure the adverts were transmitted in full 1080p. They looked great.

But anyway, that aside... How is it possible for any battle that involves a freakin' zombie dragon to be that boring‽ I've seen more gripping "zombie dragon and undead evil lord besiege a castle" story lines in a stick figure web comic. No, seriously.

I get why it was so dark. And there were some parts where it worked (the Dothraki and their flaming swords riding off, only to disappear - that was a brilliant sequence). But far too much of the action was hidden by the darkness. I had to look online to figure out who lived and who died because I couldn’t see what was happening. It was a great episode, although I’m not the biggest GoT fan so I probably wasn’t as hype for it as others.

Dark is fine, but when the broadcast bandwidth is that low, it's almost unwatchable.

Indeed, that was a stressful fictional television experience. Though, in all honesty, my favourite scene was the unexpected family reunion if fellow viewers catch my drift! ;)

Just flicked over to tonight's repeat for a few minutes. The picture quality is far better than last night.

My theory:
Because it's an international simulcast, the 2am premier is being broadcast directly from the states, and most probably going back and forth between the Earth and space a few times along the way. Signal degredation is inevitable.
So if you want to watch it in the 1080p quality you've paid for, looks like you'll have to wait 24hrs until Sky have had a chance to get a full quality copy!

Honestly, this should not happen in 2019!

We watched it on Now TV and didn't have any quality issues.

Stop reading now if you want to avoid spoilers... but if you want to avoid spoilers why are you even in this topic?

As for the episode it was a great watch, but this is not Game of Thrones anymore. You can't have a wall of zombies that slaughters everything... except the main characters.
Sam, Grey Worm, Brian, Jamie, Podrick (anyone else I forgot who was in that courtyard) and for that matter John Snow and everyone in the crypt should all be dead.
They raised the stakes too high for anyone to have survived without magical plot armour.

As for the episode it was a great watch, but this is not Game of Thrones anymore. You can't have a wall of zombies that slaughters everything... except the main characters.
Sam, Grey Worm, Brian, Jamie, Podrick (anyone else I forgot who was in that courtyard) and for that matter John Snow and everyone in the crypt should all be dead.
They raised the stakes too high for anyone to have survived without magical plot armour.

I agree (to an extent), it was quite convenient that so many did survive what seems to be an unsurvible battle. Having said that, we did see Jorah, Lyanna, Theon, Beric, Edd and Melisandre all die. They couldn't just kill off everyone, as then the final three episodes would be rather boring! Maybe they should have gone for one more major death though.

It was a brilliant episode full of tension and drama. The music was perfect as was the lack of dialogue throughout. Were there huge flaws in the battle? Yes. But I suppose they had to get a balance between a battle that was right for the story and a battle that made for dramatic and TV viewing. The Dothraki riding off to their deaths was of course a stupid move but it made for a stunning scene with the flames going out one by one.

We're set up for a brilliant finale now and there is still much to be resolved. I just hope that we are not left with any unanswered questions!

@Rob I also agree with your point. I also didn't want the charecters I mentioned to die but I did want them to have a plausable reason for how they survived.

A swarm of whites almost took Drogon down when he landed for less than a minute, yet Sam was being mauled to death for a solid half an hour and yet somehow he's still alive...

I have to say, I've always hated...
... the old "kill the queen and all the minions instantly drop" trope. Such a pathetic deus ex machina cop out. Bad writing at it's most annoying.
(I may not be interested in this show, but I'll still respect spoilers. ;)

I have to say, I've always hated...
... the old "kill the queen and all the minions instantly drop" trope. Such a pathetic deus ex machina cop out. Bad writing at it's most annoying.
(I may not be interested in this show, but I'll still respect spoilers. ;)
Don't get me started on that trope! I was so annoyed when they introduced it.
could have solved almost all the issues with this episode if the dead actually had to be defeated.

I think my main issue is a lot of regulars died,

but not one of the characters I'd consider major. Not one lannister, not one stark, not one targaryen. The only one outside them houses that bothers me is my man Tormund. Luckily he didn't die! The one person that I didn't like that does cause controversy is Lyanna Mormon. Before tonight her character irritatied my way too much.

I love Game of Thrones, but it has been in decline for a few seasons now. The main issue I have with it now is that it seems to be that the writers are following ques from the way video games are written, to write the script for this.

The story is not as good since they have lost the source material (no real surprise there) however the spectacle has been something else. So it has still made for captivating TV.

They're not going to kill off one of the major characters in the battle if Martin had previously told them that said character has a major role to play in the events afterwards. We still have 3 episodes to go and I am hopeful that we will get more answers.