• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Game Remakes

Ian

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Dizz, Bobby’s Yarn Land 🧶
It seems more and more we’re seeing game studios remaking or releasing enhanced versions of their classic titles (Heeeeeey Capcom 👋).

I’ve spent the weekend checking out the Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series on PS5 and so far am really enjoying playing it again (I’ve just completed Lunatea’s Veil and about to move onto Door to Phantomile). Klonoa 2 on the PS2 was a big part of mine and my sister’s childhoods, and it’s been nice to play it again in a remastered format. I still have our PS2 copy and a few different PS2 units, but I think it’s nice to see it all upscaled and running on modern hardware.

I’ve also been enjoying the Resident Evil REmakes Capcom are doing. It’s been really nice to see not just the old game with enhanced graphics, but new takes on the actual gameplay with the over-the-shoulder perspective.

Are there any games you would love to see remastered or remade?

100% Legend of Legaia from PS1. One of the best storylines and battle systems of any RPG I've played!

Any other JRPG dorks here? Looking forward to Persona 3 Reload in February, everything shown of it looks great

I long for the day that EA releases/lets someone else release a remake of SSX Tricky. Another game from my childhood that I still love and play regularly to this day.

It’s aged incredibly well and none of the other games in the SSX series have ever come close to its humour, style and characters for me.

Tomb Raider 1, 2 and 3 are being remastered. Should be out early next year :cool:
But it won’t be the same unless they replicate the polygon count on Lara’s boobs and ass increasing with each instalment! 😂

Last edited:
The original Shenmue. A beautifully crafted game for it's time that pioneered many things that are now commonplace in modern gaming. Pretty much a perfect description of the majestic console on which it was released, which is why few people have actually played it (although it was released on Xbox after the Dreamcast died and has been remastered for PS4 and Xbox One). Of course, like any pioneering game who's concepts have been taken and built upon, it's aged terribly. I'd love to seeing it remade, but since Sega redused to make the third installment, leaving the development team to crowd fund it, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Apart from Resident Evil 3, all of Capcom's REmakes have been stunning. RE5 was only released in 2009, so I think Veronica deserves the next one. Another Dreamcast classic.

Although I can't stand the constant "remasters", AKA excuses to ship the same game but charge you for it again, I think there needs to be more quality emulated releases on modern consoles of real classic games. We have newer ones such as for the reletivley recent 6th and 7th gen era, and of course 9th gen consoles are backwards compatible with 8th gen games anyway. But I'm struggling the get a set-up that can play my Mega Drive, Master System and N64 (I don't have room for a CRT), my Sega Saturn has recently packed in and I'm almost too scared to play my PS1 or Dreamcast in case the disc drives break. There's nothing like playing on original hardware, but it would be extremely useful to have a comprehensive collection of games that can be downloaded on to my PS5.

Reactions: Max
But I'm struggling the get a set-up that can play my Mega Drive, Master System and N64 (I don't have room for a CRT)

The Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC) is a good investment if you’re wanting to get stuff hooked up to a modern panel but don’t want the resolution stretched to buggery. It’ll upscale the image with no lag and give you a single HDMI output to go into the TV. It even accepts VGA so you can get a decent image out of the Dreamcast going into it too. I run most of my consoles through one and it’s a pretty magical piece of kit.

You will need a set of RGB SCART cables for Sega stuff, but thankfully almost all their systems pump out an RGB signal natively. Nintendo stuff can be a bit of a nightmare though unless you’re up for modding (I’ve kitted out my NES with RGB output and the N64 will be going under the knife too for HDMI modding).

The most expensive bit these days is the SCART switchers! I remember when you could pick them up for a tenner in Maplin. Meanwhile, the Hydra😬

I long for the day that EA releases/lets someone else release a remake of SSX Tricky. Another game from my childhood that I still love and play regularly to this day.

It’s aged incredibly well and none of the other games in the SSX series have ever come close to its humour, style and characters for me.

But it won’t be the same unless they replicate the polygon count on Lara’s boobs and ass increasing with each instalment! 😂
I dread to think how many hours I put into SSX Tricky. My memory is a bit foggy, but I'm sure at one point I would have been in the top 5 best players in the world based on the top scores in a couple of the old PS2 magazines at the time.

Was 15 years too early. Could have been a millionaire streamer kid :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
I thoroughly enjoyed the Mafia remake that came out a few years ago. I would love to see GTA IV remastered / remade.
But with the GTA VI trailer confirmed last week by Rockstar games themselves to be dropping in December, I think I can hold off for a bit on that one.

Time splitters, anyone remember those games? I had them on PS2, I would love to see them remastered.

I think the great thing for me though, that I really appreciate. Is via my PC I can play all PS1, PS2, most PS3 games and now the same with Xbox & XB360 thanks to emulators, that is along side almost all historic consoles. It is not the perfect experience on PC I get that, as I just use an remapped Xbox controller. But it is great if there is a specific game, from a specific ear that I really want to play again.

I do not agree with companies (Sony and Nintendo in particular) from charging silly prices for quite old games that are not remastered or whatever. So until they calm down with their prices, ill obtain my historic game copies from elsewhere.

I’d love to see Jet Set Radio get either a modern remake or a sequel.

And it’s a pity that the studio (Vicarious Visions) that did Tony Hawk Remastered 1 + 2 closed does before they could do remasters of the third and fourth games, the remaster job they did on the first two was stellar.

How did I forget. Max Payne! Such good games.

Incidentally both 1 & 2 are getting full remakes. The icing on the cake is that Remedy, the original creators are re making it. Given that studios track record, the games should be spectacular.

The Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC) is a good investment if you’re wanting to get stuff hooked up to a modern panel but don’t want the resolution stretched to buggery. It’ll upscale the image with no lag and give you a single HDMI output to go into the TV. It even accepts VGA so you can get a decent image out of the Dreamcast going into it too. I run most of my consoles through one and it’s a pretty magical piece of kit.

You will need a set of RGB SCART cables for Sega stuff, but thankfully almost all their systems pump out an RGB signal natively. Nintendo stuff can be a bit of a nightmare though unless you’re up for modding (I’ve kitted out my NES with RGB output and the N64 will be going under the knife too for HDMI modding).

The most expensive bit these days is the SCART switchers! I remember when you could pick them up for a tenner in Maplin. Meanwhile, the Hydra😬
I've been having a look out for an OSSC actually. I had an old flat panel that had no problems. It had 2 SCART sockets and a VGA socket which I used for my Dreamcast. I used RF for the rest.

But sadly that telly is now dead and my new one won't pick up the weak RF signals from the likes of my Mega Drive or N64. No VGA or SCART either so I can't play anything older than my GameCube at present. I'll look into this as I was aware that the Mega Drive outputs RGB. Not sure about the Master System though.

I'll look into this as I was aware that the Mega Drive outputs RGB. Not sure about the Master System though.

Master System 1 has native RGB output through its AV Multi-out port and uses the same cable as the Mega Drive 1 too! If it’s a Master System II though I’m afraid you’ll be stuck with RF unless you mod it.

Deffo recommend checking out RetroRGB.com if you’re into this sort of stuff. Their guides are fantastic and make it really easy to figure out how to get the best from each system 🙂

My only real criticism of the OSSC is the overwhelming amount of options on it! If you don’t fully understand all the different settings (which I don’t 😂) it can really feel like fumbling in the dark sometimes. A recent firmware update added a much more usable OSD menu, but I still find myself scratching my head a lot of the time!

I'm hoping Nintendo remaster some more Zelda games for the Switch. There have been rumours of both Twilight Princess and Wind Waker being remastered, but so far neither have come to fruition. There's no smoke without fire though, and maybe next year when TotK will have been out for long enough we might see something.

Pandemonium, from the same sort of place as Klonoa, but with acid trip backgrounds...which was brilliant, even for a sad middle aged man who can only manage a couple of buttons and a joystick (oh matron).
Just about to upgrade my Vita for a PS4...so a whole new range of 2d platform retro fun awaits.
Never clever enough for 3d platformers, I am highly skilled at jumping into fresh air instead of little platform islands in 3d.
And bring back Manic Miner.