• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gardaland

It's at this point I'm beginning to seriously expect the announcement of 'Merlin Parks', where upon all parks will be renamed to fit the Merlin Brand.
Of course, the headliner attraction will still be Alton Towers, transformed as 'Nick Varney World''.

jon81uk - I fully accept that Italians won't have heard of Alton Towers and probably not Oblivion. That isn't in question from my part.

What concerns me is that for the first time since Merlin took over, they have directly taken a concept from one park and put it into another.

Everything from the branding style, the ride name, the type of rollercoaster. If I was Mr. Gardaland, frankly I would want Merlin to be developing unique concepts for my park. After all, my park is unique. My park is not Alton Towers and my park doen't need littering with thematic concepts from 20 years ago. Remember when Oblivion was the cutting edge of marketing? This is hardly that.

I bet if Alton Towers suddenly announced they were getting a smaller version of "Raptor" for the park, with the same style of branding, trains and everything else - we'd all be disappointed that they weren't getting something that was truly unique for the park.

In other words, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come because, unlike Disney, Universal and LEGOLAND, every single Merlin park is totally unique - and should be.

What concerns me is that for the first time since Merlin took over, they have directly taken a concept from one park and put it into another.

Everything from the branding style, the ride name, the type of rollercoaster. If I was Mr. Gardaland, frankly I would want Merlin to be developing unique concepts for my park. After all, my park is unique. My park is not Alton Towers and my park doen't need littering with thematic concepts from 20 years ago. Remember when Oblivion was the cutting edge of marketing? This is hardly that.

OK everyone knows I like to comedy rant about things that bug me. In this case though I'm going to be reasoned and not ranty. What concerns me Dan, is they haven't even done that. They've even messed up copying a coaster with a fantastic theme, in fact I'd probably be less irritated by this if they'd just copied the ride, because this way they've diluted a great theme with utter nonsense.

It's called Black Hole, but the Black Hole is ORANGE. And the track is all white. It takes TWO Towers classics and shoves them together in a way that makes no sense, and they've taken the brand and iconic imagery and plastered it over it.

It's absolutely awful. Really, it's a new low for Merlin.

Aww, I think it's quite a nice tribute to two great rides. Not too bothered about the name, and the logo is pretty snazzy - better than Oblivion's anyway. I'm more concerned about the actual ride being crap than the kitschy name. :)

Aww, I think it's quite a nice tribute to two great rides. Not too bothered about the name, and the logo is pretty snazzy - better than Oblivion's anyway. I'm more concerned about the actual ride being crap than the kitschy name. :)
I have no idea if you're being sarcastic or not lol!

Dear oh dear...

Everyone else has summed up this well. This shows Merlin to lack a lot of creativity. While yes, those in Italy might not know of Oblivion here, that's still besides the point. Oblivion is an iconic (lets not forget how outstanding it was when it opened) and innovative ride, one that had a very clever brand and marketing initiative attached to itself.

It's pretty embarrassing 17 years down the line the brand is used again on something in another country. Incredibly lazy.

With the comments about Disney it is different, Disney is a worldwide brand and with each of their parks you do expect the exact same rides and attractions of certain themes. Merlin is a company that owns multiple unique theme parks with their own personalities. That's where Merlin are meant to be a step ahead, they don't copycat theme parks, they own unique theme parks. Parks that you can visit and have a different experience in each one. Things like this dampen the uniqueness of Merlin and make them look cheap and lazy. Which is a shame because there are some brilliant minds within the company.

If this was a copycat of some minor ride like Ripsaw then it might not be so much an issue. But they have copied the brand and image of one of the most iconic rides ever built at Alton Towers.

See I don't have a huge problem using the ride as a "brand". Its not like the two parks are close to each other or very often visited by the same people. The Oblivion concept proved iconic and intimidating, something the park is known for. Why not use a formula that works both from the guest's perspective and the company's? Yes Alton's Oblivion will always be the best to us, no one is suggesting the Gardaland version is trying to better it, its not like an apple iPhone launch where as soon as the new model comes out the old one is obsolete. One thing I will say though is the logo is hideous, the font is all wrong and lacks the intimidating feel. Something along the lines of this would be more appropriate right?:

oblivionblackholelogo_zpsde0f8ebb.png

If this was a copycat of some minor ride like Ripsaw then it might not be so much an issue. But they have copied the brand and image of one of the most iconic rides ever built at Alton Towers.

Arguably in the world. Particularly at the time.

Not to mention a ride themed like Oblivion doesn't fit the style or atmosphere of Gardaland at all.
See I don't think this is a problem, because I don't think anything fits together at Gardaland - it's potentially the most clashing, disjointed park I've been to. The themes explode out of nowhere with zero continuity or transition and are isolated to individual rides with no explanation.

For example, you can walk from the Intamin supersplash (Greek/Atlantis theme) to Blue Tornado (garish poorly-implemented fighter jet theme), then right outside the station of BT there is the inexplicably snow/mountain-themed Mammut which is next to the tropical/volcano-themed rapids. Head down the short hill the opposite direction past BT's station to end up in a tiny Wild West-themed valley with no rides, to see the alien attack-themed Raptor fly overhead. Walk up the stairs into Raptor's area and find yourself in a hideous concrete jungle with a cattlepen basically inside a metal cage rivalling The Smiler for unpleasantness, especially in the Italian heat. Walk down the hill from Raptor to this weird hybrid of Arabian on one side of the path and really piratey on the other side, before suddenly emerging into the Woodlands/lumberjack-esque log flume and Sequoia Adventure. Behind this is the generic Magic Mountain Vekoma looper (plastered in Fanta adverts), and following the path around leads you to the other side of the Arabian-themed theatre, of which half the frontage has been converted into the Egyptian-themed dark ride Ramses. Completing the loop takes you past the Wild West area and immediately into the small future/space-themed path with the drop tower, flying pagoda observation thing and now Oblivion.

It's genuinely worth looking on Google Maps to see.

None of it works or fits together in any plausible way. Typing it out makes me realise it's more ridiculous than I thought. There's no though or strategy anywhere, it's just a case of deciding to place a few rides and then needing a theme, without thinking of how it would possible fit with the areas bordering it. As a result it's impossible to get immersed anywhere because the clashes are so frequent and so jarring. This is on top of the classic Merlin upselling and lack of atmosphere - I don't know how given its setting but it felt like the cheapest/tackiest of the European parks I've been to. Perhaps my expectations were too high, or the coasters so mediocre/middle-of-the-road that the whole experience was pretty meh.

I'm quite apathetic about the use of Oblivion's theme - they were always going to choose something stark/run-down/brutalist/generally low-maintenance and Oblivion's theme is pretty inspired for a dive coaster.

The main problem I see with it (and now I think about it Astrodan perhaps this is what you meant from what I quoted above) is that in such a glorious setting (climate and surrounding landscape) the classic Merlin grim depressing themes just don't work. So many 'positive' themes are available that really build upon the setting and feel much more natural - something akin to Port Aventura's Mediterranean area would have been perfect, and the Greek mythology theme of the super splash and tropical rapids genuinely work too. To be honest the worst culprits are Mammut (cold/snow/Everest-themed in such a hot climate but at least it's 'positive') and Raptor, which simply feels oppressive - it's so stark and miserable with so much concrete that distracts from the good bits of theming (watchtower/tree/station interior) and an obscene amount of 7-foot tall metal fencing. Both of these were built under Merlin's ownership (not sure about the preposterous Sequoia Adventure) and both of these didn't even try to integrate into what was surrounding them, or even have a theme appropriate to the setting of the park. It looks like Oblivion will continue that trend.

Merlin ended Tussauds obsession with carbon-copying rides and themes in the same country, as i have already said some credit to them for this as it was getting silly. I Personally wouldn't have copied the Oblivion IP even in a foreign park but it wont effect ANY guest.

If this ride had the same theme and layout and font but was called "Supernova" and was a blue colour we wouldn't give a rats doo dah (other than Supernova being a crap name). So long as they keep these things long-distance and at least consider if the ride theme fits in the park then i don't mind so much.

On the scale of Merlin sins this sits very low down.

Reactions: Dar
Hasn't Thorpe already got the smaller version of Raptor? The theme of the Swarm is identical but just a different name?

:)

And I don't think this is just a Merlin thing, it would have happened under Tussaud's too (I know Tussauds didn't own Gardaland before the merger) look at Nemesis Inferno. I think the way the parks were managed before and after the 2007 merger/takeover isn't that different.

I don't remember anyone caring this much when Inferior opened at Thorpe. But then again, we were the ones getting a new B&M and not Italy so maybe that has something to do with it.

Nemesis = Themed to an alien creature trapped beneath the park

Nemesis Inferno = Themed to an irrupting volcano on a tropical island.

Apart from the similar name and the fact they're both B&M inverts, they aren't the same ride.

So long as they keep these things long-distance and at least consider if the ride theme fits in the park then i don't mind so much.
I agree with your post but the issue with Gardaland is that they haven't considered the surroundings at all - it's like the Merlin creative team involved haven't actually been to a theme park, and certainly don't consider anything outside of the individual attraction they're focussing on. Now I think about it - The Smiler works because at least the rest of the area was slightly adjusted with relatively simple means to tie it all together - the same signage around the area highlighting the Ministry of Joy for example.

Rupert - that post is excellent.

Gardaland needs some kind of... order?
Thank you! Completely agree but not sure what should be done. There needs to be a strategy where new additions are considered in the context of both their immediate settings and adjacent areas, but also the atmosphere of the whole park. It sounds so simple/obvious I find it silly I'm writing it.

For example, with a children's fantasy area on one side, a Wild West village on another and a pirate/Arabian hybrid on a third side, what would you put in the middle? Most people would be unlikely to say "a brutalist concrete military base with watchtowers, excessive concrete, prison-esque high fencing and hazard lights and warnings, all under attack from sinister dinosaur-alien hybrids." Instead, one might consider some kind of gentle transition area from Western to pirate - with ambiguous rustic buildings of wood and stone, plenty of pine trees and smoking chimneys and grass etc., and a coaster with a theme similar to Wild Eagle:

677002n0i000001ljuif94.jpg

Adjacent themes can be similar but still different, and also don't need to be in your face - a suggestion of theme can work better than forcing it upon you, something which also makes transitions between areas less obvious if the themes are not so defined to begin with. Pirate and Wild West are both strong themes, so should have breathing space/a less-well defined area between them to allow a natural transition between the two, rather than making them feel out of place with a third clashing theme even more different than the former two could ever be.

The problem is that there is already so much clashing at Gardaland that it's difficult to fix. You could gently retheme Blue Tornado to a vague Mediterranean theme to fit with the two major water rides, but then immediately outside you have a large snowy mountain ride that's not going anywhere. Exactly the same happens with Raptor sandwiched between pirates and the wild west - it can't be easily changed and it would be a mistake to try reconcile it by theming it all to a wrecked concrete military base. I'm genuinely not sure what would be best for the park now.

I don't remember anyone caring this much when Inferior opened at Thorpe. But then again, we were the ones getting a new B&M and not Italy so maybe that has something to do with it.
Fair point - Thorpe's areas clash almost as much as Gardaland's. I think I was expecting much more from Gardaland when I went (not sure what I was basing it on but it does generally have a good reputation), but also I'd argue that Gardaland has such a good climate, beautiful surrounding landscape and more holiday/escapist feel that the more negative themes that have recently been put in look more out of place than they do in the UK.

I'll be honest I quite like the new graphic. I was expecting that awful arrow inside the O to appear. But the new graphic while not as iconic does add a fresher, more modern feel to the theme. Dare I say I wouldn't mind that graphic appearing around the original (but obviously not replacing it).

I won't bore anyone by talking about the name again ;)

Nemesis = Themed to an alien creature trapped beneath the park

Nemesis Inferno = Themed to an irrupting volcano on a tropical island.

Apart from the similar name and the fact they're both B&M inverts, they aren't the same ride.

That is why Tussauds using the same brand on both coaster made no sense. The theme doesn't tie together at all.

Reactions: Ted
So and so did it so it's ok/expected/etc

With the budget and talent within Merlin, besides anything else, it's just a waste of talent.

Those who are ok with this, remind me please how we got great themes in the first place, was it because they were just copied?

The Smiler as a theme and idea is fantastic, it's original, it's creative, and it's unusual. But the guys behind that aren't the only creative talented people around.

Goodness sake, people on this forum have created some brilliant ideas, and all Merlin can do is COPY one... BADLY?

And as a theme park, or coaster enthusiast, we're fine with it?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Seems like complaining for complaining's sake here. Oblivion is an excellent theme, and has remained so for the 17 years of its existence. They're merely using this theme at another one of their parks, in the same way Disney do, Universal do, Six Flags do etc. It's a standard theme park tactic.

As has already been said; beyond the likes of us, very few people will even realise the two coasters share the name/theme. It baffles me that everyone yearns for Merlin to be more like the aforementioned theme park chains, and when they imitate their behaviour they are decimated.

Seems like complaining for complaining's sake here. Oblivion is an excellent theme, and has remained so for the 17 years of its existence. They're merely using this theme at another one of their parks, in the same way Disney do, Universal do, Six Flags do etc. It's a standard theme park tactic.

As has already been said; beyond the likes of us, very few people will even realise the two coasters share the name/theme. It baffles me that everyone yearns for Merlin to be more like the aforementioned theme park chains, and when they imitate their behaviour they are decimated.

You're a very clever bloke Alastair.

You don't need me to point out how those points you've made have been absolutely obliterated in this thread.

Disney/Universal etc been discussed relentlessly with the sensible and obvious conclusion largely made, and the lack of creativity? As a musician accepting the rehash of themes and stifling new ideas of a near infinite nature for this?

Come on, you're a creative artist, you don't really subscribe to that view.

Also, in my opinion, by accepting this, you've negated your IMA Score point.