• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gardaland

Genuinely saddened by this :-( Oblivion is the World's First Vertical Drop Rollercoaster and should be left as a standalone legend.

Piggybacking like this shows an absolutely dire lack of imagination, and deserves nothing but pity.

Marketing innovation clearly going into Oblivion.

An image has been leaked of the team behind the creative sector of this coaster, during the exact moment they came up with the name for the ride:

kids-coloring-2.jpg

This is horrible. My favourite ride at Towers is now being used as a horrible brand name because someone at Merlin's department has no creativity.

There's only one Oblivion to me, and it's in Staffordshire.

I'm less concerned by the recycling of the name and more by the lack of creativity.

Not to mention a ride themed like Oblivion doesn't fit the style or atmosphere of Gardaland at all.

What an awful name. What an awful lack of creativity. I don't care that it is in Italy. Typical Merlin.

:)

SO Disney open a Tower of Terror ride in four different parks worldwide and that is fine, Merlin open two Oblivion vertical drop coasters and it is a lack of creativity?? :)

I can't see the problem with this, in fact I am surprise they haven't cloned more between the resort theme parks.

Although I agree with AstroDan, it probably doesn't quite fit in with the general feel of Gardaland (although I haven't been there).

It is a lack of creativity.

The Disney experience is supposed to be very similar across their resorts. Merlin parks are all different - Lego parks aside.

I have been to Gardaland and it is not like Alton Towers at all and they should be considering attractions which best fit them rather than awkwardly shoehorning Oblivion in.

It appears Merlin haven't a clue how to deliver thrill rides without a sinister theme.

Also, Tower of Terror is one of the best dark ride attractions in the world (and the Japanese one has a completely different storyline to it), it's ok when a product of true quality is being cloned...

Merlin however, are seemingly turning towards Six Flags and/or Cedar Fair for inspiration... Soon we'll end up with every thrill park getting the same flat ride at this rate...

SO Disney open a Tower of Terror ride in four different parks worldwide and that is fine, Merlin open two Oblivion vertical drop coasters and it is a lack of creativity?? :)

I can't see the problem with this, in fact I am surprise they haven't cloned more between the resort theme parks.

Although I agree with AstroDan, it probably doesn't quite fit in with the general feel of Gardaland (although I haven't been there).

It is totally different to anything Disney (or Universal for that matter) do. Disney deliberatley clone their rides, they make no apologies for it. Heck the original Disneyland park itself has been "cloned" multiple times. You go to Disney parks for the Disney experience. Big Thunder Mountain is part of the Disney experience. Tower of Terror is part of the Disney experience. Haunted Mansion is part of the Disney experience. Of course they have unique parks and rides also but there is huge demand for some of these iconic Disney attractions.

Now, do you visit Alton Towers or Gardaland for a Merlin experience? If you do then god help you. You would visit Alton Towers for a unique Alton Towers experience. You would visit Gardaland for a unique Gardaland experience. No-one is going to visit Gardaland and think "ooh I wonder if they have one of those iconic Oblivion Merlin rides".

Of course the vast majority of visitors to Gardaland won't have a clue that Oblivion is also a dive machine at Alton Towers in the UK. And that might make it ok for some. But as theme park enthusiasts why should we want to settle for the company that owns all of our major theme parks in the UK showing suck a lack of creativity.

Merlin continuously show that they are inept at being creative when it comes to thrill coasters. All they ever do is dark themes, they do not seem to understand that thrilling does not have to be dark. It is getting boring now. You can already be sure that SW8 will have a dark theme. Their parks are turning into dark and dull places to be.

But back to the original point, this is totally different to Disney cloning iconic rides.

:)

Although I agree it shows a lack of creativity, I don't see a real problem with it, I personally haven't heard of a Gardaland before today which is probably the case for 98% of people in the uk. Likewise for people in Italy about Alton. I can imagine it's going down a storm in Italy, after all it doesn't look bad and oblivion is a great name for this style of ride, it's funny but the public in Italy probably would be thinking how cool and original it is!!

Also one thing about Disney is they also clone rides that are not deemed as classics. I know both dinosaur at AK and Indiana jones are the exact same ride layout, toy story play lands are the same around the world , and another play land is also rumoured for Hollywood studios.

This too shows a lack of creativity but it also saves a lot of money on design costs, which can then be spent elsewhere. I can't see merlin spending this saved money however!

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You bland, creative-less, dull, money grabbing, diabolical excuse for a theme park operator!!!!

Are you telling me, you couldn't even think of a different NAME?!

ARE YOU THAT BEREFT OF CREATIVITY?

You must be so soul less that even your own Muses (thanks @DiogoJ42) ran off in disgust!!!!

Merlin Magic?

Also, just like Nemesis: Inferno.

THE ORIGINAL NEVER NEEDED A STRAP LINE YOU PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A COMPANY!

Oblivion was a CONSTRUCT. A disturbing idea. A flash of creative brilliance. There are a million different ideas you could have come up with and you name a BRIGHT WHITE RIDE AFTER A BLACK HOLE AND STEAL THE NAME OF ONE OF THE WORLD'S MOST INGENIOUS AND ICONIC RIDES????

If I was Mr Wardley, well, in truth, he's probably not that bothered and I don't blame him this is the world nowadays, BUT, I would but absolutely furious.

Nick Varney, do us all a favour, GET OUT.

I can't even put into words the level of my anger. "Oblivion: The Black Hole" are you kidding me!

Two of the most iconic rides from Alton Towers' past being merged into another crappy poorly produced snoozefest. They might as well just go ahead and call the area X - Sector and be done with it.

I wonder if they'll use similar "Lord of Darkness" videos in the queue, or even the same music.

"The Black Hole"

Just realised the have stolen TWO Alton Towers ideas!

I think some others may have alluded to this. Next up for Gardaland:

Riteen
Nemesis: Sub Air
The Runaway Mine Rapids
Hex: The Ice Age
Charlie and Chocolate Sky Ride
Sonic Smiler

Also, using the name OBLIVION: The Black Hole

FOR A WHITE COASTER ADORNED WITH A GIANT CORNISH PASTY

You go to a Disney park for the Disney brand. Merlin has no brand carrying power

This has been much discussed, I'm glad to see it's the common opinion.

EDIT:

Something else obvious I missed.

BLACK HOLES ARE BLACK NOT ORANGE OR They'd be called ORANGE HOLES!!!!

Last edited:
This is a joke... Right?

This is just an insult and a mockery of 90's Alton Towers, when it was run properly. Didn't think Merlin could sink this low tbh.