• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Going Against The Grain

Shockadelica

TS Member
We all know the general feelings towards Alton Towers by the majority of enthusiasts. Some rides are loved, some are hated, some areas also have mixed reactions. Some people love some themes and some people have niggles in certain areas that grate...

But likewise, we all have opinions that we know differ from the normal, general view amongst enthusiasts and often, we don't feel confident enough to post them without fear of being shot down.

So here's a thread to give your differing opinion to the general consensus on any element of the park, whether your opinion is positive where others are generally negative, or vice versa.

And hopefully, nobody will judge you while here on this thread. I'm hoping this won't turn into debates, more about posting your 'confessions' as it were.

I'll start;

I personally think The Dark Forest is one of the best areas of the park.

Sure, a flat would be welcome to give it a bit more variety, but the contrast between Rita and Th13teen is rather wonderful. And the backdrop of the thicket of trees envelopes the area perfectly and gives this sense that the forest continues endlessly beyond it.
Plus, now that Rita has weathered a little, it feels more like it fits in. A closer view of Rita these days sees the red track not quite that garish and it's great the way it twists its way around the clumps of trees. The launch is great! Yes, there may be more amazing ones in the World, but it's the only one at AT. And the G force as you hit that first bend is pretty darn good, as is the pop of airtime as you ride over Rita's highest 'boob'.
Then hidden behind the manic ride is Th13teen. Like a forgotten part of the Towers; even though Rita sits right next to it, it feels like the empty shop unit right next to Marks & Spencer. A sudden change in mood.
And the ride itself is a corker. That first drop packs more of a punch than one remembers and the first part of the ride really does feel like it's an abandoned area of the park. It's the only coaster at Alton Towers that doesn't have you riding over and next to people's heads and gives a genuine sense of isolation.
Then the indoor part. Again, that initial blast comes as a surprise each time and the freefall drop gives an amazing piece of airtime. Then the backwards bit with that little 'kick' drop to send it on its way.
A few weeks ago, I was riding it with someone who had no idea what it did. He told me later, that when it stopped indoors, he thought there'd be a brief show, then the wall in front would open and the train would carry on on its way. Boy, did he have a surprise!

So there we are! That's my 'confession' of sorts; I love this area of the park and the two rides in it!

I love this thread! And I too love Th13teen. I know it's not exactly a 'thrill' ride, but I enjoy it every time. Especially on the back row, and especially the backwards part.

For me, my confession is, I love EVERYTHING about The Smiler. Even how rough it can be at times. I am completely in love with the ride!

I love the theme, it makes me Smile! A companion on park recently commented that he 'loses' me in the queue because I'm so focused on watching the trains fly around the track! I'd actually rather queue for a little while than do fastrack or single rider. I love The Marmaliser and recently went on park for a day with a couple who had never been before. They chose to do fastrack for The Smiler and missed out on the whole queue. As a result they had no idea what the ride was about and I didn't have chance/didn't feel they were interested in hearing about the theme and what The Marmaliser meant. I actually felt sorry for them!

I love the music when you're in the queue, I love watching the ride fly around, I love each element of The Marmaliser (including the car wash brushes), I love the indoor part of the queue, I love the hanging paint rollers next to the baggage hold, I just love everything! And every time I ride it I enjoy it more!

I have nothing bad to say about The Smiler. And I guess that's what goes against the grain :D

I really like Sub-Terra, genuinely think its a really good dark ride with some very good theming (inside).

thats mine

:D

The Idea and theming of Sub terra is great, the uniform of the ride staff is also very good. and looking at it in a logical way it a really good dark ride, but it is just not my cup of tea as it as it were, and does nothing for me.

Well if we all like the same stuff life could get boring. :D

Sub-Terra is like heroin. Ride it blind for the first time and it really is an amazing experience, but you can't repeat the thrill. It suffers from non-existant re-ridability.

What threads is this again? :/

I really like Sub-Terra too - which seems to be a rarity amongst enthusiasts.

I'm also (generally) a fan of Flambo's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I like Submission. :-[

Although few people agree so I rarely ride it. Since Ripsaw's been running on such rubbish settings Submission is the closest thing Alton has to a decent flat ride.

Oblivion's theme tune is better and more inventive than any of the orchestral themes on park.

Thirteen, Rita and Sub Terra are all absolutely fantastic rides, Nemesis not so much in my humble opinion.

Quetzal said:
Thirteen, Rita and Sub Terra are all absolutely fantastic rides, Nemesis not so much in my humble opinion.
Can I ask why you rate Rita so highly... So much so over Nemesis? I'm not saying you can't think that but I'm interested to see why you think so!

In my opinion Rita is fairly dull and uninspired for a launch coaster. The launch itself is forceful and fun but the ride following it is a dull layout that doesn't really do a lot for me in terms of force or energy. Compare this to Nemesis where it starts with pace and a bang and then hits you with force, fun and a highly unique layout and setting.

I can understand the enjoyment of Thirteen and Sub Terra though - just interested on the other point :p

Submission was riding better than Ripsaw on my last visit!

Mind you, I think that probably says more about the state of Ripsaw at the minute than it does about Submission as an overall ride. I liked it as a kid, but the thrill if simply going upside down wears off fast.

Like Sam, I think Oblivions theme is much better than all other rides themes. It just sounds... right.

Scott said:
Quetzal said:
Can I ask why you rate Rita so highly... So much so over Nemesis? I'm not saying you can't think that but I'm interested to see why you think so!

In my opinion Rita is fairly dull and uninspired for a launch coaster. The launch itself is forceful and fun but the ride following it is a dull layout that doesn't really do a lot for me in terms of force or energy. Compare this to Nemesis where it starts with pace and a bang and then hits you with force, fun and a highly unique layout and setting.

I can understand the enjoyment of Thirteen and Sub Terra though - just interested on the other point :p

I don't really know how to put it into words but I just find it really fun :p

The way it carries the speed around the turns is just phenomenal, I suppose I just find the following layout a lot more enjoyable than yourself.

Going on Sub:Terra yesterday and it was the best ride Ive ever had on it.

I think the issue I have with it is the fact it can vary so much and isnt consistant. Thankfully all the effects work, the audio was top notch and nearly all the staff were brilliant. When it works right, its one of the best attractions on park.

Ben said:
Going on Sub:Terra yesterday and it was the best ride Ive ever had on it.

I think the issue I have with it is the fact it can vary so much and isnt consistant. Thankfully all the effects work, the audio was top notch and nearly all the staff were brilliant. When it works right, its one of the best attractions on park.

I was very surprised at how good it actually was inside when I wasn't expecting much at all. Nemesis aside, I found it better than any of the coasters on park.

It's just a shame they didn't extend the same effort to the exterior.

:)

Agree with some of the others here, Sub-Terra was one of my favourite experiences at Alton Towers. I went on it twice over two days, was running screaming out of it both times. It's very much not just the ride, which I suspect is why some people dislike it - it's a whole experience, somewhat like a more compact and impactful version of one of the Dungeons.

Also, X-Sector is my favourite part of the park. The whole place seems actually designed to go together, unlike most of the other areas which consist of a bunch of rides and "theme" elements thrown haphazardly together. By the time I'd spent a while looking at The Smiler, stood in front of Oblivion's drop and watched a couple of cars drop, been on Enterprise, been on Submission, and been through Oblivion's queue, I was outright terrified for Oblivion. I can't say that I had that sense of anticipation and fear anywhere else in the park.

Oh, also, everyone's gonna hate me for this, but Sonic Spinball was great fun.

Shell said:
Oh, also, everyone's gonna hate me for this, but Sonic Spinball was great fun.

It is great fun! Sure, it looks a bit dirty but it offers a really unique and exciting ride experience.

The best theming at the park is AIR. Everything about it is just right, forget the tunnel it doesn't matter, the ride music. The sound the train makes going past. The light blue light in the station. The Air shop. The queue line. The entrance. The ride itself, everything is just spot on for me. even the pink Air mug my missies bought a few years ago.

Favourite ride on park at the mo is Duel, sure I would prefer if the lasers are turned of but I enjoy it,

Whoring nemesis destroys the enjoyment of it for me, I would rather go on duel 7 times and nemesis once, then the other way round, otherwise I just get bored of it.