• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Grime?

It's a theme park - a fun place. There's no need for everyone to be clones of everyone else. They should be identifiable as staff members, clean and presentable.

But I'm not one for shutting down individuality and uniqueness. There's psychological benefits to people being able to express their own identity that helps create good employees and a happy workforce.

It's a theme park - a fun place. There's no need for everyone to be clones of everyone else. They should be identifiable as staff members, clean and presentable.

But I'm not one for shutting down individuality and uniqueness. There's psychological benefits to people being able to express their own identity that helps create good employees and a happy workforce.

It’s a premium product, so the staff should reflect that. Uniform is exactly that, uniform.
What’s the point in a uniform if one person wears skinny black jeans with their sleeves rolled up, whilst another is wearing smart black trousers with shirt tucked in and fleece zipped up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are certain Merlin attractions which enforce uniform policies to almost Nazi-regime style standards.

Merlin class their parks as premium products, yet there are levels of grime and consistences with staff uniform and behaviour that don't reflect this. Perhaps they should take a leaf out of Liseberg's book and instil a sense of formality upon the staff?

It’s a premium product, so the staff should reflect that. Uniform is exactly that, uniform.
What’s the point in a uniform if one person wears skinny black jeans with their sleeves rolled up, whilst another is wearing smart black trousers with shirt tucked in and fleece zipped up?

I think that’s a bit of an old fashioned view really - it’s a fun place, not a bank or silver service restaurant.

But I’ve never worked for a company with a uniform so the concept is a bit alien to me!

I think that’s a bit of an old fashioned view really - it’s a fun place, not a bank or silver service restaurant.

But I’ve never worked for a company with a uniform so the concept is a bit alien to me!

It’s just the same principle as a school uniform, the whole point is that everybody is uniform.

It may be old fashioned, but in the themed entertainment industry it’s important!

Imagine a pantomime, and Sleeping Beauty wanders on stage wearing white trainers and tracksuit bottoms...

So long staff are clean and well presented I'm not sure what the problem is? It's sad that tattoos, piercings and dyed hair are still so frowned upon, especially in a fun place such as a theme park.

I work in an industry where not being covered in ink and metal makes you the odd one out. They do not bother me.

I've not had to wear a uniform since I was a teenage waiter. I loath being forced to wear so much as a shirt, but the need to have staff easily findable is self evident.

But if you are going to have a uniform, it should be UNIFORM.

A big thing in recent years is the quality of the staff. The few staff that really care about that place are pushed out.

The majority of the staff don’t care, and don’t have any standards pushed on them from management (as they have also lost the love for the place on the whole)

It’s a vicious cycle that is difficult to stop once a team the size of Alton’s gets in to a bad work ethic.

I couldn't agree more. Staff in crap, dead-end jobs who are worked long hours in the English drizzle for the minimum wage while getting shouted at by the public all day should care more about giving a positive impression of their employer.

Arbeit macht frei!

I couldn't agree more. Staff in crap, dead-end jobs who are worked long hours in the English drizzle for the minimum wage while getting shouted at by the public all day should care more about giving a positive impression of their employer.

Arbeit macht frei!

Staff in crap, dead end jobs, that they applied for...

Staff in crap, dead end jobs, that they applied for...

Staff don't apply because they can't think of anything better than working in a theme park, they apply because the depressed job markets in de-industrialised, hollowed-out cities like Stoke means that there aren't any other options, and it allows exploitative employers to pay people a pittance under crap conditions. Try reading some Marx. Or anything at all.

So long staff are clean and well presented I'm not sure what the problem is? It's sad that tattoos, piercings and dyed hair are still so frowned upon, especially in a fun place such as a theme park.

This has now changed, as of 2020 all of the above are now acceptable presentation standards at Alton Towers.

This has now changed, as of 2020 all of the above are now acceptable presentation standards at Alton Towers.
I wonder if there is a guideline for tattoos, e.g. explicit or foul language?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

It's more a general dumbing down of standards at ATR than anything else.

Uniform is just one part of the experience which is just sort of 'whatever' these days.

There's nothing immaculate about anything in the park.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Staff don't apply because they can't think of anything better than working in a theme park, they apply because the depressed job markets in de-industrialised, hollowed-out cities like Stoke means that there aren't any other options, and it allows exploitative employers to pay people a pittance under crap conditions. Try reading some Marx. Or anything at all.

Bit condescending that pal...

I did work at the resort on Rides for the best part of a decade, and I saw the change in attitudes first hand. Nothing to do with pay, as on rides it was pretty decent for the type of work, and nothing to do with a change in job markets, as the hollowing out of the industrial workings happened in the 80’s around here.

The relaxing of uniform standards is not just about the uniform. It’s one of the first areas where things begin to go wrong. Staff begin to get lazy about their physical appearance, and then how they appear to guests, and then how they communicate with guests, their standards for ride cleanliness, standards for safety even. It might sound dramatic but any business that shows it cares about the little things also go a long way to caring about the bigger things.