• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hansa-Park: general discussion

Lap restraints don't necessarily let you ride in a forceful ride in a way that could cause you harm. You might be able to lean forward a bit in the slower sections, but that doesn't mean that the ride won't force you back into your seat as the positive forces increase. Also, as I've said before I didn't find the Gerstlauer design on Karacho was any more comfortable on my lower body than their OTSR; riders are still clamped in by the brake run. Lap restraints seem to be standard for Infinity coasters, having been fitted to all other examples, and Gerstlauer have even shown a model of The Smiler with trains that have them! I don't see why it would be impossible or dangerous, and I'll always wonder what it could have been like.

I can't wait for the day some park builds a clone of The Smiler with lap bars, just to end this argument once and for all.

I agree with Cheese. If anything lap restraints should deal better with forces due to there being no space between you and the restraint to collide with. I understand the worry that because you have the freedom to move your upper body you could move into an uncomfortable position or swing out to quickly but in reality you don't have as much freedom as you think. Take Blue Fires seats as the most visible example. The seats are concave so if you were leaning in a way you shouldn't you'd naturally slide back into the centre of the seat. And that's assuming the forces weren't already keeping you pinned, because as we know with the exception of airtime most elements force you into the seat not away, and if Hyper Coasters have been using them for decades I fail to see the problem.

The one exception would be a dive coaster. The hold before the drop would cause problems. But as we've already seen a beyond vertical drop is fine.

If The Smiler was given lap restraints I'll happily volunteer to test it. And if my back breaks you can come laugh at me in A&E :p

As Rob said one of the pieces doesn't quite fit...

htdJCNO.jpg

Source: HAPA-Forum facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hapaforum/photos/pcb.871670172875288/871668109542161/?type=1&theater

I wonder if their bizarre practice of concreting the supports directly in to the footers has anything to do with their track alignment issues? After all, it's not being built by TG Cruise...

I don't know if it is related to the way Gerst do their footers but, despite being in no way an expert and not really knowing the differences, I am not a fan of just using concrete to secure your massive thrill coaster to the ground. To me it is just asking for more problems than if you were to use the traditional bolt it to a footer method that the top manufactueres (B&M, Intamin, Mack) all use.

Also if a piece like this doens't quite fit and you have to force it into a position whereby it does, surely that is going to cause more strain and tension over time? That can't be good for the coaster long term! It's one of the many reasons that I'll be surprised if The Smiler is still at Alton Towers in 10 years time, but that is for a different topic.

:)

Another problem with setting the supports in concrete is that if you ever have to replace one, it's not as simple as just unbolting it and slipping in a new one. Plus if the park ever wants to sell the coaster.... tough!

Another problem with setting the supports in concrete is that if you ever have to replace one, it's not as simple as just unbolting it and slipping in a new one. Plus if the park ever wants to sell the coaster.... tough!

They can still sell the coasters, they come out of the concrete easy enough.

Spinball has the same footer style and they have considered relocating that.

I'm not saying that Lap Restraints are a no no per se - but after riding Karacho I felt at times less comfortable than I do on The Smiler. Prior to riding Karacho, I was firmly in the lap bar for The Smiler camp.

Some of the inversions were uncomfortable - and with The Smiler being so aggressive I just don't feel they'd be appropriate.

Blue Fire, Helix etc. are much gentler in the transitions compared to The Smiler.

I know my view is a minority - but I do feel the lap bar issue is at least in part fanboyism. OTSRs aren't inherently evil.

Reactions: Tim
@Dave; True, is can be done, but it's a lot more effort and expense.

@AstroDan; How about we meet in the middle and say The Smiler should have Over Shoulder Vest Restraints? ;)

@DiogoJ42

If your removing a ride then whether you sell it or not the cost of removing it is the same, so the economics of removal are a bit irrelevant.

Unless you plan to keep the ride forever.

Well... It would appear that Hansa/Gerstlauer are in some form of desperate bid to make the ride even uglier than it already was. And thus, have commissioned these trains to run on the ride!
kaernan-zuege-620x350.jpg

I know we'd seen them already in the concept, but in my opinion they look even worse as the real article! The whole wooden look just hasn't worked very well here.

Moving back to the rides construction, it is now looking almost complete. With only the track on the rather twisted overbank after the none inverting butterfly thing (Still don't know what it is) and the final turn into the brakes left to be added!

1979616_874978172544488_7847512725095653222_n.jpg

Been a while since an update here; I've been meaning to do one for a week or so now!

The track is now finished and some form of track testing has begun:

11406925_883189208390051_1554875539231336177_n.jpg

Photo credit: HAPA-Forum Facebook

Got to admit I don't think I've seen anything like this before. Anyone got any idea of what it could be? My guess would be related to track smoothness Hopefully we will see some proper testing soon.

Also, it has been confirmed that Karnan's soundtrack is being produced by IMAscore, working with the Budapest Film Orchestra and Choir.

:)