• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hansa-Park: general discussion

Considering they already have a fantastic Gerstlauer, it would be wrong to dismiss this if it was another one...

Hmmm those trains do look very Gerstlauer like. However it is still promotional art so I guess we will have to wait and see. I'd rather it be Intamin than Gerstlauer purely because they have far more experience when it comes to hyper coasters.

:)

Gerstlauer moving into hyper coasters would be significant, they're slowly proving themselves to be more and more capable.

Why would you build a hyper-coaster with four row cars...?

If that concept art is to be believed, the main drop will be inside a 200ft+ building, which seems unlikely but not impossible.

Sam said:
Why would you build a hyper-coaster with four row cars...?

If that concept art is to be believed, the main drop will be inside a 200ft+ building, which seems unlikely but not impossible.

Fluch's vertical lift is (rcdb) 131ft odd and completely enclosed (so probably more around 140ft), so they do have some history with it... Though part of me thinks they wouldn't want to essentially have two rides with a similar gimmick of indoor lift hill and drop...

Well I am personally looking forward to this, even more so if its Gerstlauer over Boring and Mundane.

It would appear people are dismissing this because of it being Gerstlauer, however I have thoroughly enjoyed Anubis at Plopsland and Karacho at Tripsdrill is ace. Both are smooth and offer great rides. Karacho is really well paced and the transistions between elements are smooth and graceful. (Obviously unlike The Smiler)

So if two of their newest rides went up with no problems, no major downtime, both smooth and great rides to boot, doesnt that show that Gerstlauer are a decent manufacturer? Therefore for me, bring it on.

However, if this was an Intamin along the lings of Expedition GeForce and Bizarro, I would be even happier

Anubis does have a quite bad rattle at the end of the launch though (I'm not entirely sure why)...

Rest is exceptionally smooth though I will give that...

I think with Gerst the UK perspective is skewed towards the issues surrounding Saw and Smiler, where as very few of their other creations (even things like Mystery Mine) didn't seem to have anywhere near the same issues... Mainly due to the technology involved methinks (or lack of, since Saw's double station hasn't been repeated since, and most of Smiler's issues seem to stem from shoddy builders more than anything)...

Although it seems atm people prefer to hate on B&M these days moreso... I'm not actually sure why spending €25 million spent on a B&M could be considered a waste of money (something said on another forum)...

Modern day B&M's (with the exception of OzIris) are just too calculated and controlled for me.

For example, B&M's Hyper Coasters versus the Intamin air time machines. No contest for me, Intamin wins hands down for me. Thats why I am quite excited to see a Gerstlauer entry into this category to see what they bring to the party.

Other bits of news for next year...

Screamscape said:
2014 - Indoor Play Area, New 4D Theater Movies and More - (11/22/13) Hansa-Park sent out a newsletter containing some surprise concept artwork showing off their plans to build a new indoor kids play area in 2014 and what looks like a B&M Hypercoaster for 2015. The park will also add a couple of new 4D films in 2014 as well, Happy Feet 4D and Yogi Bear 4-D Adventure. The park will also add a new show called “Fliegende Balance” (Flying Balance) that sounds like a Cirque style perfomance show featuring balancing acts.

Come to think of it... why do we think this coaster is a Gerst at all? Just based on the concept art? Because apart from the four-row trains, it looks more like a B&M hyper to me, and Screamscape agree. It'd just seem really, really odd for Gerst to randomly try their hand at making airtime-based hypercoasters...

The Train is obviously a Gerstlauer.
All ride manufactors have to do innovations from time to time.
Gerstlauer has a good base with their infinity coasters. Why shouldn't they extend it to build a hypercoaster?

I'll be interested to see how well a Gerstlauer copes at 80mph.

It's not something they've done before and their track record is very mixed.

I am concerned for rider comfort more than anything else, we'll see.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Depends how their lapbar coasters ride...

I doubt reaching 80mph after a lift hill would result in a similar 'wobble' effect as Anubis' launch does...

To be fair, one of the main problems with Gerstlauer is the OTSR's. Remove them and, even if the track-work is poor, then at least there won't be any head-banging.

Let me explain why I'm very apprehensive about this project being a Gerst.

The thing I like most about Gerst is also what I dislike most about Gerst. Their thrill rides feel like no other, in the forces they put on the body as you ride. This isn't about roughness, or intensity, but more about the design of their track profiling and the effect that has on the body.

Gerst elements have this weird, ineffable 'tightness' about them, which even compact coasters from Vekoma or Intamin don't seem to have. The elements, especially the inversions, exert and odd pull on your body that feels unnatural, and in some way slightly off-kilter.

Like I said, in some ways I really like that, as it gives their rides a certain abstract intensity. You often finish a Gerst ride feeling disorientated, in a good way. For me, the weirdness enormously helps a ride like The Smiler, which without the bizarre Gerst 'pull' on the body would just be a dull series of inversions. If B&M or Intamin had built it, it'd be really boring.

The only thing I can compare this mysterious 'Gerst factor' to is the work of the painter Francis Bacon. You can't really describe why - and they look like they're made in exactly the same way as other paintings of the era - but when you look at them they infect on you an enclosed tightness, and an intense feeling of disorientation and claustrophobia.

Shut your eyes on Speed or Anubis. Even without the restraints and other tell-tale signs, if you didn't know the manufacturer you'd be able to tell its a Gerst, just from the unique way those elements feel on your body. That's why I love the Smiler, Saw, Speed and to a lesser extent, Anubis.

But a hypercoaster isn't about that. I don't want to feel unnatural pulls and disorientating, unnatural movements on a hyper. I want a clean, smooth ride with ejector airtime. Gerst have never proven they're able to do airtime, apart from that incredible hill on Speed. What Gerst are great at like I said above is making inversion-packed, tight rides that fill you with a knotted, anxious thrill. But I don't want that on a hyper, and I don't know if Gerst are able to build a thrill ride without that 'Gerst factor'. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm doubtful.

I'll be quite disappointed if this does turn out to be a Gerstlauer, I was really hoping for a European Skyrush but unfortunately, everything does seem to be pointing that way.

My main concern is the track record of Gerstlauer vs B&M and Intamin.

Intamin - Their hyper coasters are regarded as being the best in the world with unparalleled amounts of ejector airtime. Reliability is likely to be an issue however.

B&M - May not produce the world beater than Intamin might but you can be assured of a high quality, high throughput ride which is fun for everyone with lots of floater airtime. It will be reliable and smooth for many years to come.

Gerstlauer - Historically have built low-cost compact coasters with very mixed results. Whilst some of their coasters are well regarded in their local area, none have earned the worldwide acclaim of many of B&M and Intamin's creations.

Like Dan, I'm concerned as to whether Gerstlauer will be able to keep vibrations under control at high speeds. Their standard train design features nothing to keep the wheels pressed against the track or to absorb shocks.

But who knows, it might be really good...

Sam said:
This isn't about roughness, or intensity, but more about the design of their track profiling and the effect that has on the body.

Gerst elements have this weird, ineffable 'tightness' about them, which even compact coasters from Vekoma or Intamin don't seem to have. The elements, especially the inversions, exert and odd pull on your body that feels unnatural, and in some way slightly off-kilter.

Gerstlauer track shaping does seem to be very matter-of-fact. Their loop shapes are more circular than anyone else's and they tend to stay fully inverted over the top rather than rolling out sooner. Also, the way in which each new element arrives seems quite disjointed. Rather than one continuous course, flowing between the elements, it feels more like someone just flicked a switch from zero-G-roll mode to Immelmann mode.

The effect is that their layouts seem a lot more cartoony and loopy than what we're used to and it makes for quite a bizarre, oddly paced ride experience. Personally, I prefer the B&M approach. It looks much better and it offers a much more refined ride.

Taken from the Karnan minisite.

"KÄRNAN" is coming - HANSA-PARK is going to build a HYPER COASTER

For more than three years Germany's only Theme and Family Park by the sea has conducted surveys among its guests. What kind of major attraction would they like to have? Would they prefer a super-fast ride? A family ride? A ride for thrill seekers? Or would they rather go for an elaborately designed themed ride?
For the first time in HANSA-PARK's history, visitors and fans had the opportunity to have a direct say in the comprehensive and intensive planning of what will turn out to be the park's largest ride investment ever.

And that's how they have decided:
KÄRNAN is it - HANSA-PARK is going to build a HYPER COASTER!

The first sod on the project will most likely be turned this year. Construction is estimated to take 1 ½ years. Until the official opening in 2015 there will be lots of anticipation and guessing. Because that's what most of the guests and fans wished for: "We want to be kept guessing about the details for as long as possible."

And that's why it's official now: KÄRNAN is coming! You'll find more information soon at www.kärnan.de

Look forward to an exciting year 2014 and KÄRNAN in 2015.

kaernan_plakat_en.png

A bit of an update since the last post in this topic. I don't think the following from mid December ever got posted:

Screamscape said:
According to a reader, the latest Hansapark newsletter (Dec. 2013 edition) names Gerstlauer as the maker of the park’s new 2015 coaster, Karnan. The coaster, which will stand over 60 meters (196 feet) tall, is expected to be the tallest coaster ever built by Gerstlauer. Previously, I believe their talelst coaster was Takabisha at Fuji-Q in Japan which stands 141.ft tall.

Also, some initial groundwork has begun:

01_IMG_5371.jpg

02_IMG_5374.jpg

03_IMG_5379.jpg

04_IMG_5380.jpg

05_IMG_5387.jpg

A few more things abou the 2015 coaster taken from the mini-site:

Hansa Park said:
Every now and then bits of information find their way into the public...

Coaster type: hypercoaster
Construction time: over 1 ½ years
Pre-planning: since 2010
Official opening: planned for 2015

More facts:

- biggest investment the park has ever made
- the hypercoaster will feature a distinct custom layout tailored to fit perfectly into HANSA-PARK
- the new ride attraction will be planned and designed by Munich-based Werner Stengel - an engineering firm that is highly experienced in planning out-of-the-ordinary hypercoasters
- the attraction will be built by Gerstlauer, a company based in Münsterhausen, who - we are absolutely sure of that - will implement our ideas and bring them to life exactly as we imagine it
- the Munich-based certification body, TÜV Süd, will be involved in the planning and development and later test and certify the hypercoaster
- The hypercoaster “Kärnan” will bear a very special name, and it will tell a story.
- You will be able to experience the full story and theming in 2016 - one season after the ride has been officially launched.
- Its name and the story woven around it will fit the overall concept of HANSA-PARK and symbolise our Park’s name.
- KÄRNAN will be a family thrill ride, meaning that it will be both a challenge to and an adventure for families.
- Exactly how tall and how old you must be to enjoy a ride on KÄRNAN will be determined by TÜV Süd, Germany’s technical control body.
- KÄRNAN will feature 16-seat trains with lap bars.
- KÄRNAN will be what is known as a “signature ride”, and it will be visible from afar.
- KÄRNAN is the largest project by far HANSA-PARK has ever undertaken.
- KÄRNAN’s full name is: The Oath of KÄRNAN – Beware of its Spell

That confirms that it will indeed be a Gerstlauer. It also appears that they are doing what many smaller European parks seem to do, opening the coaster one year and installing the theming the next. I'd imagine that it will be much more impressive once the theming is in place.

Also the latest Hansa newsletter has apparently said that the ride will have a vertical lift and a vertical drop.

Here are a few more details from the mini-site:

Hansa Park said:
  • KÄRNAN will not feature an inclined lift, but a vertical lift
  • KÄRNAN will feature a vertical first drop.
  • KÄRNAN’s tower will be founded on piles that combined have a length of about 1.8 km
  • KÄRNAN’S track layout will be marked by mid June.
  • KÄRNAN will pass through a dark section before the lift.
  • KÄRNAN will pass through a dark section before heading into the station.

Also, Parkerlebnis.de are reporting that the coaster will feature at least one inversion which will be indoor, probably a roll similar to The Smiler and Saw. They also say that the "roller coaster also offer a driving element in the shape of a heart."

Finally, Hansa have started to mark out the layout:

36_IMG_6778.jpg

37_IMG_6779.jpg

Reactions: Dar