• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Heide Park

Re: Heide Park, Germany

The problem is that EVERY time there's an initial testing video people moan about it... I'm not entirely sure why...

I also prefer Raptor to Swarm, probably because it's layout suits the 'cumbersome' nature of the B&M versions, which is good, because slow and cumbersome is better than fast and rattly, which is a proven issue of other winged rides...

To each their own, but I like Air over Tatsu because it's slower, steady, and doesn't try to rip my legs off in a Pretzel Loop...

Lottie. said:
That does seem quite slow through some elements. Is that due to the design of the wingrider? :S

Yes, they're always that slow and lumbering because the trains weigh about ten thousand tons.

The only good bit of this looks to be the airtime hill, after that it's just same old, same old.

I didn't think it looked as slow as others have done during testing. They do always look slower than they actually feel on ride, I find it's the same with B&M Mega Coasters. I still think this has a very interesting layout.

:)

Sod that, the LAST thing I want with a wingrider is a fast intense ride. It's just not built to be like that.

Far prefer the slow fun inversions, the ride is far more exhilarating and downright enjoyable that way. Better that than being purely uncomfortable.

I quite agree. Much like the Flying Coaster, I reckon Wing Riders work best with nice, steady, swooping movements. The hang time offered during inversions on these things (Swarm's first drop especially) is fantastic, and for me, one of the defining characteristics of the winged concept.

When I hear, "wing" rider I immediately think of the tips of a birds wings. Gently gliding, and performing some sweeping, graceful arcs along the way, at fairly high altitude. It's certainly something I think Dollywood missed a trick with on Wild Eagle. Such potential to be had, but all that it culminated in was a couple of plastic lawn ornaments stuck atop the (Pretty ugly) bare skeleton of the trains. But back to the ride sensation, the same can be said with the B&M Flyers too if you ask me. As much as I love the looks of Tatsu, and Starry Night Ripper, the flying concept immediately conjures up images of swooping up and down, hugging the ground from time to time, with perhaps the odd, gentle roll. Or to put it shortly, Air!

Baco has already proved that speed and wings don't mix, and I know a few people have said that even at their significantly lower speed B&M's models still seem to rattle a little (Can't say I've experienced this myself mind). If you want intense speed and G's but with the feeling of freedom and nothing beneath your feet you're looking at the wrong ride type. You'll fair better with an Invert.

Personally I think this looks a fantastic new attraction, and I can't wait to get on it! I just hope that it will be complimented by decent theming from the word go, rather than having to wait like Krake did.

Ian said:
Baco has already proved that speed and wings don't mix, and I know a few people have said that even at their significantly lower speed B&M's models still seem to rattle a little (Can't say I've experienced this myself mind). If you want intense speed and G's but with the feeling of freedom and nothing beneath your feet you're looking at the wrong ride type. You'll fair better with an Invert.

This is something that will always occur on any type of winged coaster, purely because of physics and the act of natural vibration that will occur...

I did a whole module of Vibration Analysis at uni, I wish I'd done my dissertation on that linking into rides (Baco vs B&M) instead these days...

There's nothing wrong with a coaster not being just brutal from start to end, but my problem with these wing coasters with the intimidating themes is the ride experience doesn't match the styling of the ride. Floating gently around isn't what you'd expect if you'd been attacked by an alien creature, or a demon, etc... And considering these wing coasters aren't capable of mixing really intense moments in among the ride experience...

I adore Swarm for the sensations - I love the grace, the sweeping turns, the floating and above all the comfort.

Funnily enough, I can't stand Air or Manta (fliers). I don't like the position (my hips disagree with thr restraints), the dragging speed (yawn over the Air plaza), or the "I'm spending way too much time on my back with the fear my hair is going to wrap up in the wheels" sensation.

I agree that wingriders don't ride in a menacing fashion, but they're hulking great structures with a dominant and attention-demanding train setup. I can see why most places have gone for the demon theme in that respect.

I'm happy to swap intense for fun, and this project is no exception :D TO HEIDE!!

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm no big fan of Swarm after the first drop (i could nod off), in fairness i'm no big fan of Air either. Have to say though based on POV's this looks to have one of the more interesting layouts of the wng-rider family. Hopefully it will speed up a little in testing.

Sazzle said:
I agree that wingriders don't ride in a menacing fashion, but they're hulking great structures with a dominant and attention-demanding train setup. I can see why most places have gone for the demon theme in that respect.

Well, it's only really the Merlin parks that have gone for evil demon like themes! ;) Gatekeeper just looks lovely, Wild Eagle is all about flying on the wings of an eagle and I think Flying Over the Rainforest is themed along the same lines. I think the main reason that the evil themed ones are themed as they are is because Merlin's thrill themes seem to be limted to things that are rather dark (probably because they find it easier to marker a thrill ride with this theme).

On the subject of B&M Wing Coasters, I have only been on The Swarm which I do find a good fun ride (when the restraints don't decide to dig into my shoulders, that just ruins it completely). I don't think it matters that they're not really intense, not all coasters need to be intense to be good.

Interestingly though, the Merlin ones are the only ones that could actually be considered as themed, rather than styled (especially Gatekeeper, generically themed American coasters </3)...

When you think massive alien attack or being dragged away, what sensations do you think it'd be?

I personally think they'd be swooping sensations themselves, it wont be any sort of breakneck speed or vicious turns as that'd be uncomfortable for the creature as well as you..

Just putting that out there ;)

I wouldn't imagine people expected their bones rattled, shoulders bashed and head banged from the elegantly themed Colossus at Thorpe Park...!

Sent using Tapatalk

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with coasters that aren't just brute-force, but with wing coasters the ride experience doesn't vary much at all.

Whereas rides like Nemesis are able to flow smoothly between offering a really intense moment and the slower swoops with ease, Swarm's ride experience is just soft and vanilla once you're past the first drop, hence why I zoned-out when I rode it. :S

A nice testing photo has been uploaded to Heide Park's Facebook page:

1898213_10151913461611629_1894996349_n.jpg

Just out of interest, why have the park gone of the exact same colour scheme as 3 other coasters in the park? Why not go with a more exciting colour scheme? ;)

Blizzard said:
Just out of interest, why have the park gone of the exact same colour scheme as 3 other coasters in the park? Why not go with a more exciting colour scheme? ;)

Its owned by Merlin.

Blizzard said:

I asked this ages ago and apparently it certain areas of the park (i.e. the massive area from Big Loop to Limit) any coasters have to be painted white for reasons...

Probably one of the sillier limitations I've heard being placed upon a park, especially as the colour of choice is white...

Probably a bit similar as Alton painting most of their coasters black or dark colours... doesn't impact the area too much. Shame really, looks very bland. Hardly gives each ride its own unique identity!