• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

I beg your pardon sire, but it's a discussion forum - the point was raised and it's entirely valid to debate the contrary.

What's your evidence for that, please?

Yes it’s a discussion forum, I didn’t say you couldn’t say what you said or debate it, I said it was tiresome and I said that because the same debate has been had on here 20 times and the people arguing for the budgetary close such as you and @rob666 have not given a cogent argument for it but keep banging it out like a greatest hits album.

If you want the evidence base here it is:

1) You don’t put it in your fancy pre-season video if you don’t plan to open it.

2) Budgets are set before the season starts.

3) You don’t replace signs if you don’t plan to open as it’s a spend that then has at least a year of age before you get any benefit.

My only sympathy for your argument is Merlin has form on pretending rides are having work to save money on budgets but in all cases this was announced prior to season start.

Yes it’s a discussion forum, I didn’t say you couldn’t say what you said or debate it, I said it was tiresome and I said that because the same debate has been had on here 20 times and the people arguing for the budgetary close such as you and @rob666 have not given a cogent argument for it but keep banging it out like a greatest hits album.

1) You don’t put it in your fancy pre-season video if you don’t plan to open it.

3) You don’t replace signs if you don’t plan to open as it’s a spend that then has at least a year of age before you get any benefit.

My only sympathy for your argument is Merlin has form on pretending rides are having work to save money on budgets but in all cases this was announced prior to season start.
yeah in my oppinion there is no way either of the rides were closed for budget reasons, for example sky ride (I am using sky ride since we can see the work going on) the first month or 2 there was scafolding round the towers street station as they painted and touched up the roof I think, and every time I go a differnt set of wheels is off one of the supports, this is something that shows there is investment going into the rides (dosn't hex have new lighting and new queue layout outdoors?) why would you design new signs, paint the stations etc when you could just fix the problem and save that paint money?

What if the budget was set for known work to take place but then after the budget was set and initial work was done it was later found that some more expensive work needed to take place to get it open? Is there not a small chance that at this point they have a meeting and decide that there are other priorities to spend that needed money on, so Hex gets left SBNO for longer than it technically needs to?

1 - I never said they didn't plan to open it. On the contrary.
2 - Yes, so are targets for profit. If you're not making as much as expected on the gate, you cut costs. If nothing ever changed, then why have rides closed mid-season in the past despite no immediate replacement plans?
3 - I never said they didn't plan to open it. On the contrary.

Plans change. Economic realities change. Not everything plays out entirely as expected months before and sometimes reactions happen to prevent things from slipping further.

I believe if someone is claiming the rides are closed for economic reasons, then the burden of proof is on them.

I could easily say; there’s a chocolate teapot in orbit around Earth. Prove me wrong! You can’t so it must be true.
I'm not asserting anything is true or false. I'm objecting to @Dave asserting that our suggestions are meritless/untrue but providing no basis other than boredom for doing so.

Last edited:
To throw my speculation into the mix - I think that Hex could reopen when the dungeons closes- which has been brought forward now.
They would be replacing the loss of capacity with more capacity and keeps the excitement up for thoosies throughout the year.

It also would add capacity for the busy school trip and summer season.

Just complete speculation but hey what are forums for?

Reactions: Ash
After visiting the park yesterday I’m convinced this is budget related. I think the rides ready to go but it appears there is a huge staff shortage across the park.

Several rides were closed yesterday for no apparent reason. The rides that were opened seemed to have bare minimum staffing.

After visiting the park yesterday I’m convinced this is budget related. I think the rides ready to go but it appears there is a huge staff shortage across the park.

Several rides were closed yesterday for no apparent reason. The rides that were opened seemed to have bare minimum staffing.
are you sure? I was there yesterday, from what I saw they had the rapids open, with staff around there at the start of the day, and then something probably went wrong and it closed, Galactica probably had the most staff I have seen so far (they had 4 checking restraints and a person telling you which row to go to on each station) and most of the rest of the rides were operating with their max staff

are you sure? I was there yesterday, from what I saw they had the rapids open, with staff around there at the start of the day, and then something probably went wrong and it closed, Galactica probably had the most staff I have seen so far (they had 4 checking restraints and a person telling you which row to go to on each station) and most of the rest of the rides were operating with their max staff

Rapids appeared closed all day. Sub Terra was on and off. Smiler, oblivion, wickerman, nemesis and Rita all had downtime when we were queuing.

Maybe it’s just perception. It was just the impression I got while on the park.

Rapids appeared closed all day. Sub Terra was on and off. Smiler, oblivion, wickerman, nemesis and Rita all had downtime when we were queuing.

Maybe it’s just perception. It was just the impression I got while on the park.
The rapids did open for like 30 mins, but then closed for the rest of the day (initially they had staff standing around, then presumably they realised it wouldn't be fixed then), down time was quite large yesterday,

The rapids did open for like 30 mins, but then closed for the rest of the day (initially they had staff standing around, then presumably they realised it wouldn't be fixed then), down time was quite large yesterday,

Glad it wasn’t just me who thought that. I did wonder whether it was people related but your experience says different.

Back on topic - I’d suggest then something has gone wrong with the fix. It’s clear they planned to open Hex with the work done. Why bother if it’s budget related.

Actually, that's also a good point. Over the past few weeks, the park has been having significant issues with their ride line up.

If Hex was closed for 'economic' reasons, it would entirely make sense for them to have focused on reopening it to cover the gaps.
I disagree.

Firstly, this presumes the ride ride is entirely ready to go, which of course it might not be if they've given up on sincerely trying to get it open this year. In fact, anything that was still outstanding at the point where that choice was made would naturally have become a low priority to sort out.

Secondly, you have to train an entire team of staff up which is not the sort of work which can be 'nipped over to' while a ride is down elsewhere. It's an investment all of its own.

Thirdly, and foremostly, even if the ride was ready to go, and there was idle staff capacity to get a team trained up 'for free' somehow, if they got it open it'd be far harder to justify closing it (in order to bank the saving).

Again, not saying it is or isn't the case that the ride closure is motivated by a fiscal saving - just disagreeing that the fact they haven't opened it when they could really have done with it due to shortages elsewhere really proves anything.

Do we have any more information on if Hex is actually going to open this year. Just booked a 2 day trip with my mate 13-14th August and we both really want to ride Hex as it was closed when we went last year.

Do we have any more information on if Hex is actually going to open this year. Just booked a 2 day trip with my mate 13-14th August and we both really want to ride Hex as it was closed when we went last year.

No. The divisional director has implied an update is ‘coming soon’ but no info on what that update might be, or when ‘soon’ might be is known.