• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

Although obvious now I come to think of it, I only very recently realised that the “voice” of Hex is Jim Carter, who is most famous for his role as Carson the butler in Downton Abbey!
Ah so that's who it is! I've always wondered who did it. 🙂

I believe the original voice over was Peter Dickson (famous for voice over of X factor, etc). And I’m sure there is still one or two breakdown announcements which still feature his voice.
He - or at least someone very much like him - announces which till is free in Towers Trading. Although when I tweeted this 3 years ago, he wasn't so sure:

You're right. That was Professor Graham Nicholson.

I don't remember the details but it was a bit corny, as I recall. Was talking about the legend and then, "oh it looks like there's a storm coming, we'd better get a move on... ". Something like that.
Just to add to this, in the octagon the generator started to cut out and the voice-over blamed it on the storm, then all the lights went out.
I think after the show he acknowledged getting the power back as the generator spluttered back into action.
I like the generator effect and always thought it a shame they changed the show, I think a lot of people miss it.

Just to add to this, in the octagon the generator started to cut out and the voice-over blamed it on the storm, then all the lights went out.
I think after the show he acknowledged getting the power back as the generator spluttered back into action.
I like the generator effect and always thought it a shame they changed the show, I think a lot of people miss it.
Apparently, the generator effect was one of the elements that was improved between Hex 1.0 and Hex 1.5. It was built for the original version of the ride but was modified before the start of the 2000 season to improve its spark and smoke effects.

Some memories of the original HeX here: http://web.archive.org/web/20031015...ube.fsnet.co.uk/dark/new/parks/rides/hex.html

I only recall seeing the videos after the fact, and I kind of struggled to make sense of how they fit in to the ride I knew and loved. I guess it was perhaps for the best that I didn't have a go at launch.

I agree that it's a wonderful attraction, and I agree the quality of the audio is no longer as good.

There's a few other subtleties lost too - the CRTs in the Octagon used to go off completely which left the room in darkness. Same for the projector in the first room - not been since before Covid now, but wasn't that replaced with LED screens which permanently emit light too?

Some memories of the original HeX here: http://web.archive.org/web/20031015...ube.fsnet.co.uk/dark/new/parks/rides/hex.html

I only recall seeing the videos after the fact, and I kind of struggled to make sense of how they fit in to the ride I knew and loved. I guess it was perhaps for the best that I didn't have a go at launch.

I agree that it's a wonderful attraction, and I agree the quality of the audio is no longer as good.

There's a few other subtleties lost too - the CRTs in the Octagon used to go off completely which left the room in darkness. Same for the projector in the first room - not been since before Covid now, but wasn't that replaced with LED screens which permanently emit light too?

The Octagon TV's were briefly replaced with LED's however they quickly saw the error of that decision and scrapped them in favour of the old (and much more effective in context) CRT's! A shame they didn't do the same with the awful LED UV lights on Duel...

The Octagon TV's were briefly replaced with LED's however they quickly saw the error of that decision and scrapped them in favour of the old (and much more effective in context) CRT's! A shame they didn't do the same with the awful LED UV lights on Duel...
I believe they swapped the tvs in the queue and put those in the octagon, and the new tvs now in the queue line, but they are in a box so look like they are old TVS.

When I did Hex at Christmas it was the best I’ve seen it for ages, the generator was properly working, sparking and smoking, the audio was loud, even the main vault had all its effects working and lights I hadn’t seen work for years also working.

It’s just a shame the ride only worked for a week or two before breaking.

I think been 22 years old now it needs just updating with a updated storyline as when I went on it last in 2019 during the 3 pre show rooms many guests were just talking or on there phones.
Like the Haunting at Drayton Manor has had 4 different story lines over its 26 year history.

I think been 22 years old now it needs just updating with a updated storyline as when I went on it last in 2019 during the 3 pre show rooms many guests were just talking or on there phones.
Like the Haunting at Drayton Manor has had 4 different story lines over its 26 year history.
I honestly can't imagine Hex with a different storyline. It just wouldn't feel right. The current one works so well in the Towers.

I think that is more indicative of society these days than it is of Hex's storyline.

They could maybe rework the Octogon scene slightly to add new surprises (not sure what though as the existing generator effect is great and making the begger woman an animatronic wouldn't really add anything). But there is no need to change the overall plot, the cinema film is perfect and the vault works well when all the lights are working. There is no need for silly gimmicks like leg ticklers, its not that sort of attraction.

I think the main reason the Haunting changed so much is it wasn't that great to start with. Would probably have worked better as a Haunted Mansion style dark ride instead of a madhouse.

I think that is more indicative of society these days than it is of Hex's storyline.
I second this. When I rode it last year the op came into the vault and told the hosts that someone had their phone out.

This has nothing to do with the storyline. People these days are just literally glued to their phones anyway. You can't even go to a restaurant anymore without seeing entire families just sitting on their phones. I even see people in the cinema constantly on them. Hahahaha.

The smart phone is one of the greatest and at the same time worst inventions of all time for me.