• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

HMV go into Administration

LiamC

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Hex
Guardian Online said:
HMV has confirmed it will call in administrators from Deloitte on Tuesday, as the 250-strong chain became the latest casualty of the shift to online shopping, putting 4,500 jobs at risk.

Stores were expected to open on Tuesday but the firm said it would not be accepting gift vouchers or issuing any more.

HMV held discussions with its banks over the weekend but failed to agree on new terms for its debt.

It said in a statement issued on Monday night: "The board regrets to announce that it has been unable to reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection and in the circumstances therefore intends to file notice to appoint administrators to the company and certain of its subsidiaries with immediate effect."

Nick Edwards, Neville Kahn and Rob Harding of Deloitte will be appointed as administrators. The company said: "The directors understand that it is the intention of the administrators, once appointed, to continue to trade whilst they seek a purchaser for the business."

Analysts expect a buyer for at least part of the group. As the reaction to HMV's demise has shown, the brand, famous for its Nipper the dog trademark, still holds a cachet for many people. HMV had around 35% of the, albeit dwindling, CD market in 2012 and it is thought that around half of its 240 stores could be profitable once the company gets rid of its debt.

Rumours circled on Monday night that the restructuring company Hilco could be interested in buying the group out of administration. Hilco bought HMV Canada from the UK parent in 2011 and has overseen a better-than-expected Christmas at the north American arm, which rang up sales of $65.4m (£40.5m) over the festive period, beating targets.

It was thought that the US vulture fund Apollo Global Management had been considering a bid but is no longer interested in buying the chain. Apollo bought 6% of the company's bank debt two weeks ago.

Neil Saunders, the managing director of the research house Conlumino, said: "The brand certainly has some value, however, while someone could arguably turn a profit in running some of the stores for a period of time they would still be betting against the future. By our own figures, we forecast that by the end of 2015 some 90.4% of music and film sales will be online. The bottom line is that there is no real future for physical retail in the music sector."

The news prompted many to mourn the demise of the 91-year-old chain. Chuka Umunna MP, Labour's shadow business secretary, said: "HMV is a national institution that has been a feature of our high streets for over 90 years so this news is deeply worrying. For the sake of HMV's employees, we hope a way can be found to keep the business going. The demise of HMV – a national institution – would be a sad loss for British retail."

Twitter also saw an outpouring of emotion from fans of the store, with comments such as: "HMV closing is the worst thing that's ever happened to me."

But analysts were philosophical about the chain's collapse. Saunders said: "This outcome was always inevitable. While many failures of recent times have been, at least in part, driven by the economy, HMV's reported demise is a structural failure. In the digital era where 73.4% of music and film are downloaded or bought online, HMV's business model has simply become increasingly irrelevant and unsustainable.

"HMV did not react early enough to the digital trend; it did not give shoppers a reason to keep buying from it. Admittedly, the company has tried to innovate through selling more electricals and gadgets but, unfortunately, these initiatives were never going to be enough to counteract the terminal decline in its core business."

I absolutely adore HMV and this is a massive loss for the High Street, if not the end of it for me. The only downside I saw to HMV was their game prices, they were stupid expensive. I couldn't fault their DVD/Music/Blu Ray prices though, you could get deals in there that were essentially the same price as what you could get off Play or Amazon.

With this and Play stopping their direct sell side, Amazon are now really going to be the only place to go. It's a shame Play got greedy and didn't want to pay VAT, now amazon will have the monopoly on the market and become even bigger.

I'd like to think someone would save HMV but I can't see a buyer for them. If Woolworths couldn't be saved, I don't think these will be :(

They are on about music and movie studios buying them out, all putting a bit in to save the hard format of their products.

It's sad news for the staff and all that, but I have to say the company had this coming to them for a while. I would say the majority of my 400 or so CDs have been bought from HMV stores or online in the past.

When they started to try and chase trendy products and sacrificing the previously wide-range of CDs across many genres, they seemed to suffer more. You could say they were probably suffering before that and that's what led them to try and diversify, but I think it alienated quite a lot of their customers.

Despite what the record labels try to force down our throats, physical CDs are still in great demand and they won't force people to buy everything digitally for many many more years.

This is sad news as I always liked to browse around HMV, and sometimes find some good bargains, not a lot but there were a couple.

I guess this just the way our world is now, downloads are increasingly popular and easier to do. And with the likes of Amazon who provide DVDs, CDs etc. at much cheaper prices, HMV was definitely going to struggle.

First Jessops, now HMV, which high street store will be next for administration.

Using Tapatalk...

I'm betting on GAME being the next to go - there's no room in the market for more than one high street game shop and I think that Grainger Games will fill that space with their competitive pricing.

It's only a matter of time before one of the big supermarket chains goes.

Quite sad to hear HMV is going, they've always been great for deals on box sets (and from experience actually cheaper than online at times - when you account P&P).

Certainly this puts damage on places such as where I live, where already the high street is like a ghost town, with hardly anything worth going there for.

I doubt any supermarket will go into administration, the reason all the entertainment stores have been failing over the past few years is because download sales of music and film have been increasing at a ridiculous rate, so interest in these types of stores is dwindling. But I don't think there's any way to download food :p so supermarkets will be alright, you might just see them not stock as much entertainment items.

Seriously sad to see this happen though, I knew it was only a matter of time but still... :( Just about my entire collection of films, music and games are from HMV. :(

Josh said:
Seriously sad to see this happen though, I knew it was only a matter of time but still... :( Just about my entire collection of films, music and games are from HMV. :(

Likewise. I managed to rack up that many loyalty points I got a two year Total Film subscription from Pure HMV online and I still had over 24000 left over :eek:

I really do detest downloading music and films online, it's so against what the industry is about I feel. I want something physical for my money, not a file on some infernal technology box :mad:

I think some people overestimated how cheap online stores are, so totally avoided HMV when actually they could have got a similar deal there.

I recently took advantage of the 5 blu-rays for £30 offer, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

I really really doubt it will go altogether... I see the major studios and record companies chipping in to save the company as if it goes it will basically be the death of music and video on the high street.

I can see them going the way of GAME. A massive cut down of real estate and slim lining the business with more emphasis online. The brand is too big to lose and towns and cities don't need more than one store.

Wilsy said:
I think some people overestimated how cheap online stores are, so totally avoided HMV when actually they could have got a similar deal there.

I recently took advantage of the 5 blu-rays for £30 offer, which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Snap, absolutely awesome offer this! There are some amazing titles in it too. Now I fear this will have been the last thing I buy from there :(

HMV is an iconic name, and it will be a massive shame to see it disappear from the high street, but let's be honest, their business model has been dead for years.

Where else can you buy a game for £25 in the supermarket and trade it in for £35? Countless times I've walked in a store and found some truly bizarre pricing - DVDs more expensive than their Blu-ray counterparts, a single TV series costing more than the complete box set, and in some cases three different prices for the same product?! And no doubt you'll still be able find things cheaper online than in any closing down sale. The irony.

I doubt HMV had much sympathy for the hundreds of independent record shops they put out of business over the years either. And denying vouchers less than a month after Christmas?

Dick move.

Bizarre pricing is probably down to stock being bought at different times... You can only adjust your prices s certain amount before you're making a loss for the sake of your prices being in line with each other. There are, and always have been, plenty of bargains to be found in HMV. The current sale that is on is fantastic and is easily cheaper than a lot of online sites for a lot of things.

As for gift cards, you must have learnt by now that when a company goes into administration the cards are always suspended until they can find a way to use them. That's not HMVs move, that's the administrator. Gift cards are issues as a form of loan to the customer, and you don't have a leg to stand on if the company goes bust. I know it might seem wrong, but that's how it works and is how it has worked with every broke company too. Sorry, but it really annoys me when people get at the retailers for this when it is the administrators who do it.

They are in administration, which means they cannot afford to pay their creditors. The concentration is on recouping as much money from stock and their own debtors to be pay these back. Gift cards do not have any role in this, as if they are exchanged for the credit value, HMV cannot recoup money on the stock shifted. Therefore they will not honour any store credit. They have already received the income from the purchase of the gift card. The same will stand for any refunds/exchanges

HMV leaves social gap in High Street

This article sums how I felt about HMV and why they have ended up how they have perfectly for me. It's a shame that their core buisness took a back seat in favour of trying to sell things that people going into HMV didn't really want :(

My latest album purchase was 99p cheaper at HMV than iTunes. It had no dodgy protection on it, a booklet with lyrics and pictures, and won't suffer if my drives or computer gets stolen.

I can easily transfer it to my computer, too.

Help!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

James said:
It's only a matter of time before one of the big supermarket chains goes.
Maybe not administration, but suffers badly enough to be susceptible to a takeover bid or a breakup. Morrisons is my bet with its poor xmas sales, it's complete lack of competitive strive or online presence. Tesco is somehow recovering (irritatingly).

I think hmv may actually pull through, seeing as it has so much support from suppliers, however on a much smaller scale. Profitable core sites, and sort out your range.

I am going to miss HMV because I enjoy the experience of browsing through music and purchasing the physical CD. That's not to mention the fantastic deals I have gotten over the years, like my last purchase of Marley headphones worth £80 for just £50, and of course it will be tragic for all the staff who have once again been the victims of an economic crisis created by banks and corporations.

However, I can't say that I'm that upset by the news. I don't trust these chain shops, and maybe this will open up the market for a return of local independent record shops with small overheads but able to get by by supplying their customer base with the CDs they want? This would also have the added benefit of keeping the money in the local economy.

My big question now though is what happens to Waterstones? As far as I'm aware, it's owned by the HMV group, so does that mean it'll go too?

It's times like these that it really hits home that everything we have is built on unpayable debt that isn't made to benefit the rest of society, just made to infinitely increase on this finite planet until everyone is living enslaved to the debt collecter because even if you had all the money in the world, it still wouldn't be enough to pay off all the world's debts.