• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Holiday World: General Discussion

That's an odd colour scheme for an orange track. Not the best themed I guess but the ride itself is still looking good.

To say that this is flying up is an understatement:

Maintenance-Building.jpg

Mind-the-Gap.jpg

[imh]http://www.holidayworld.com//wp-content/gallery/thunderbird/Progress.jpg[/img]

Across-the-Way.jpg

:)

That Helix looks tight!

The irony that this "family" ride could turn out to be more thrilling than The Swarm lol!

I think it's a genuine contender for that I really do looking at the layout, the slightly different inversions, the launch, that tight looking Helix.

Looks great so far! (I don't mind The Swarm, I'd really like one of these Wing Riders to reach it's potential!)

The last piece of track being put in place yesterday, three weeks ahead of schedule (take note Alton Towers):

2014_1202_Thunderbird_FinalPiece.jpg

The last piece of track being put in place yesterday, three weeks ahead of schedule (take note Alton Towers):

2014_1202_Thunderbird_FinalPiece.jpg

Is it just me, or have people signed that piece of track? Nice touch if so :)

It looks like they have yes, least that is what I thought when I saw it also.

According to a press release posted on tpr, the construction team all signed it. It also said that they will be announcing some 'enhancements' regarding the ride!

Last edited:
Update:

They're apparently auctioning off their first rides for a charity! What a lovely touch. Bids in lads and lasses!

ZOOM ZOOM!
B7t_hlBCEAAP3qJ.jpg:large

Testing 1, 2, Dummy?

B7lWlvPIMAApONA.jpg:large

Blueprints!

B7k-byQCMAAzzIE.jpg:large

TRACK TIME:

B7bu5PDCYAEz038.jpg:large

Lovely!

B7biGFkCcAAxysM.jpg:large

ZOOOM!

B7aG8kCCYAAcQ7f.jpg:large

Immelman?

B7Y_rQaCIAAe-Ay.jpg:large

Pretty in the snow:

B7VgGSgCAAEppnv.jpg:large

And for me, the best of the lot... WHAT a transition this looks!! BEAUTIFUL.

B6Pihe7IAAAV85V.jpg:large

More on their twitter, blogs, etc.

Looks amazing, for a FAMILY coaster let's remember...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

The restraints look the same as on the other wing riders, so presumably it’ll still have a 1.4 metre height restriction? Personally I’d say the cut off for a family coaster is 1.2 metres. If they market it as a family coaster I wonder if they’ll have some disappointed guests. I know we would at the British parks, but perhaps expectations are different over there.

I think having five car trains might tone it down a bit compared to having longer trains, although perhaps not so much difference on a launched coaster compared to conventional lift. I’m not sure how the stats compare, but I thought X-Flight at Great America felt as intense at The Swarm, despite being smaller (8 cars on X-Flight vs 7 cars on the Swarm) and although I haven’t ridden Flug Der Damonen, reports suggest that this might be the gentlest wing rider of them all, and that only has six cars. I’m not saying train length is the only thing that affects intensity because it’s clearly not, but I think it has a bearing. Either way the profile of the track still looks a bit much for a family coaster.

All in all that looks pretty amazing, and to think that this is a theme park getting roughly the same number of visitors as Paultons Park (albeit over a shorter season). There was a time when I thought Oakwood was the UK’s answer to Holiday World. It’s such a shame it didn’t keep up. Holiday World should be an inspiration to independent parks the world over.

I don't know how heavily they are marketing it as such but come on, there's no way it is a family coaster! Family thrill at a push but it is not what's generally classed as a family coaster.

Well, er, they've took their "keyhole" to another level here if you ask me (still under construction)!

:eek:

Through-the-side-1500x1134.jpg

B7wRwmgCUAE7m8B.jpg:large

Voyage-Photobomb-1500x1125.jpg

Doesn't even look like it would get through that! Obviously the spacer shows it will, JUST. I like!

And here's that beautiful set of inversion/helix/corkscrew kind of thing again. I love that. It's stunning. What a view from The Voyage as well :) - love this little park!

B7wz7WxCcAEqspF.jpg:large

And the lovely colour scheme cars.... LOOK MERLIN, WING RIDERS AREN'T ALL EVIL ALIENS!! WHO'D 'AVE THUNKED IT?!

B7v5SsVCAAAmCrY.jpg:large

Colours remind me of Fury 325 at Carowinds.

Hope the cars are bigger than that lol :D

Last edited:
Holiday World really does seem like a really well run park. Just noticed this on their website FAQ:
Holiday World said:
Q: Free stuff? Really?
A: Yes, really! Here’s the list:
  • Free soft drinks are available throughout both parks all day, every day.
  • Free sunscreen (Ocean Potion Sport, 30 SPF) kiosks are located in front of the restroom buildings in Splashin’ Safari and by the west steps of Holiday Theater in Christmas, in Holidog’s FunTown, and next to Indian River by The Alamo in Holiday World.
  • Free parking
  • Free Wi-Fi
That's fantastic! Well done to them!

And the lovely colour scheme cars.... LOOK MERLIN, WING RIDERS AREN'T ALL EVIL ALIENS!! WHO'D 'AVE THUNKED IT?!

B7v5SsVCAAAmCrY.jpg:large

Colours remind me of Fury 325 at Carowinds.

Hope the cars are bigger than that lol :D

No they are not all evil aliens but you can't deny Swarm and Raptors trains are sexy, but then again the only wing rider who's trains don't look good is Dollywoods.

Another look at the head chopper:

B8eXq61IMAA16XD.jpg:large

That is going to be amazing! There may be more hand shaped hole after people start riding!

Wouldn't it be great if somehow they managed to make that shed near miss a "high five" element with the two trains together lol!