• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
You should be able to tell if it's running four trains by how it's stacking on the brakes, however they could always hide one in he maintenance shed and then change them over when the park is closed.

They must have had another made from Gerst as the trains were at HSE they could still be there or they could be with towers maintenance. I think nearly 4 months would be enough time to manufacture a Eurofighter train considering how many Eurofighters they are. Towers must have placed an order soon after the crash and delivery could have been made at night at some point earlier in the week as the amount of testing today indicates a) imminent re-opening ( next couple of days or b) Towers are breaking the new train in for an opening within a couple of weeks or next season.
The Smiler is an Infinity coaster not an Eurofighter coaster, and there are only 8 of them (I think it is 8).

You should be able to tell if it's running four trains by how it's stacking on the brakes, however they could always hide one in he maintenance shed and then change them over when the park is closed.

When I went a few weeks ago in the morning they were stacked like there was 4 (the last one was on the brake before the transfer track) but I couldn't see if there was 2 in the station, I took a photo can anyone see if the is 2 in the station

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e7a5d9bd3ac72e829995c8addd1378cf&oe=56A065DF

Last edited:
Comments on an Instagram post by @v05mattclay , then quoted by Andy MC on Towerstimes

v05mattclay #TheSmiler is to reopen next week, who's excited? #altontowers #gerstlauer #infinity #rollercoaster #uk
thrilltheworld Where did you get this information?
v05mattclay @thrilltheworld Smiler host outside the entrance.
_leah.elizabeth_ Which host said it?
v05mattclay @_leah.elizabeth_ tall black hair, male.

That host may be getting a telling off if Alton or The press find out this is true...

Comments on an Instagram post by @v05mattclay , then quoted by Andy MC on Towerstimes

v05mattclay #TheSmiler is to reopen next week, who's excited? #altontowers #gerstlauer #infinity #rollercoaster #uk

That host may be getting a telling off if Alton or The press find out this is true...

Somebody did a whoopsy :eek:

And here comes the media......

One of the girls who lost a leg is appearing on ITV's Good Morning Britain at 8:10 this morning. :)

She not happy ride re-opening. Which is understandable, but I gave to say people still drive, fly, cross the road, get on trains, all after accidents what she said is true maybe disrespectful, if someone died maybe would be gone. Luckily and only just they didn't.

Again nick v has done good by seeing all four people. Telling them the findings of investigation and what they have done to make it safer. She didn't complain about how bet treated which is very good.

May not be happy, but hey its going to open so end of.
Life goes on, move on. Harsh? Maybe but starting to get to past caring.
Had their 15 mins of fame, dragging it up over and over , urrg o_O
Can always say no, i dont want to be interviewed on tv. I dont want quoting in the paper.
On and on and on and on
Open the gawd dam ride :mad:

There is that, she said her modelling career she wanted has taken off. Blessing etc. The media always want interviews she just couldn't say no.

Life goes on, move on. Harsh? Maybe but starting to get to past caring.
Had their 15 mins of fame, dragging it up over and over , urrg o_O
Can always say no, i dont want to be interviewed on tv. I dont want quoting in the paper.

A tad harsh, I wouldn't say it's 15 mins of fame. They didn't ask for this and their lives have dramatically changed as a result. I completely agree that the ride should open as soon as it can but you would probably feel differently if it was you. That said, I don't think what the victims feel is going to have any impact on what Merlin do. At the end of the day Merlin are a business.

On that note, happy The Smiler re-opening week! ;)

Definitely not 15 minutes of fame, and fully understandable not wanting the ride to reopen. You cant say how you would react until your in that situation.

I think Nick was trying to do the correct thing by going and seeing the victims in person and explaining to them that the ride will reopen soon, rather than let them read it on the news. I said it wouldnt reopen this year..... now, im not so sure. I think they are looking to get it open for Scarefest and Fireworks to try and attract people to the events.

Fully understandable not wanting the ride to reopen.

I would actually argue that it's completely irrational given the circumstances. If, as suggested, it was human error, that would mean it would be possible for this type of over-ride to happen on most rides. Would she like all theme parks in the world to close down in-case of another human error? Not a very understandable viewpoint if you ask me.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.