• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
So, Kay Burley is implying that people have started the petition because she was a woman doing the hard questioning and that if it had been say Jeremy Paxman, everyone would have been praising him. Here is an article she has linked to and 'endorsed'.

It wouldn't bother me who performed the interview - if it was in that manner with those questions I still would have been fuming.

:)

Whilst I must commend the media for getting their facts wrong (seen a few Neil Varney mispellings hear and there, The Mirror's hyperbole and opening dates for The Smiler Game months off), it sickens me to the core that a mountain is being made of a molehill now that whenever a ride goes down its the end of the world. We're fanboys and fangirls, we feel damage to The Towers brand true - but this is just frankly OTT.

And then there's the articles from slightly more neutral sources as per below that always go under the radar, oh how I love and loathe the media simultaneously.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/alton-towers-smiler-crash-family-9439980

Now the Smiler is down for possibly till the end of season. Wouldn't now be a good time to sort out other issues with the ride? Projector room aircon, smoke in the tunnel and all the ride reliability issues.

That's happen a few times whilst I've been at towers. For 'sik lolz' people decide to bring bolts/screws/nuts with them and start screaming after dropping them near the ride/on the seat/track. What a sad existence when you can't have fun at a theme park without spoiling others'.

Who even thinks that before they go? 'Oh, I'm going to AT, let me grab some nuts'- no pun intended.

If people are actually doing that then that's just horrible.

For one it will just give the press something else to jump onto in order to try and sully the reputation of Towers further.

Secondly it is incredibly disrespectful to those who actually were seriously injured in last weeks incident. Trying to get a few quid off a newspaper in the wake of what's happened is just wrong.

I hope people aren't. And if they are I hope they are stopped and that the press don't bite.

One reason why people do it, especially right now...

giphy.gif

So, Kay Burley is implying that people have started the petition because she was a woman doing the hard questioning and that if it had been say Jeremy Paxman, everyone would have been praising him. Here is an article she has linked to and 'endorsed'.

It wouldn't bother me who performed the interview - if it was in that manner with those questions I still would have been fuming.

:)

Personally I don't care who it was doing the questioning its about how its done and she was horrible, it made me sad to be part of the same species.

I wouldn't have minded the interview as much (don't get me wrong, still would be terrible) if she had not tried to get him to tell her about the victims which even she must have known would have caused more fines/criminal charges for merlin.

As for the clip from air, IF I found one, I would give it to a member of staff, just in case it was from the ride, which leads me to believe that the people who found it are telling the truth but it had been planted for someone to find. When a bolt fell from the smiler, apparently, a foot wide gap opened up in the track, meaning that if it was from the ride, the smiler would be safer as the crash on that was theoretically impossible. This means that there is no way the ride would be open in 20 minutes. They probably closed it to check if it is from the ride or an unrelated technical issue.

I honesty think it would have been easier for Nick to get his point through to a brick wall. I am glad I have never met anyone as incompetent and stupid as her, and I hope I never do.
I have so much respect for Nick for keeping his cool against this infuriating cow and not letting her twist his words, I know I couldn't have done the same.
It must be a miracle that we are all unscathed after going on rides where the 'safety procedures clearly weren't stringent enough' for all these years!
Oh and by the way everyone, 'the smiler is being dismantled right now' as she keeps saying. I'm glad she knows 100% what she's talking about and has done her research

I think mountain out of a molehill is the main culprit. Public attention to rollercoaster safety is at a high - someone grabbed something that looked like it could be from the rollercoaster and all of a sudden 'part falls off another rollercoaster at Alton Towers'.

Perfect example in todays media regarding a Malaysian Airlines flight making an emergency landing. Anyone that follows flight radar on twitter will know there are at least 4-5 emergency landings daily across the world, owing to minor mechanical faults to health needs of the passengers. Doesn't make it news worthy but the media love whipping up a storm and being able to pull out an old story for nothing.

The less scrupulous media will report on any and all incidents at Alton Towers for the next few months. In a way, we're lucky that there is a closed season - it will give the park a good 5 month break before it all starts again.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.