• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Jazz Land [Fan Made Plans]

DistortAMG

TS Member
Favourite Ride
POTC Disneyland Paris
Slow night at work got me thinking about the old Jazz Land plans, I've posted them in the dungeon topic if you want to see them, to save me duplicating them on here. As the reason they were posted in there was to show a specific point about the dungeon building.

Check out this interesting thing I found when overlaying the Project Horizon plans on top of the Jazz Land plans as close as possible. The plans are scaled and located correctly so they line up almost exactly.

overlay.jpeg

The Jazz Land show building is not only in pretty much the exact same location, but it is also a very similar size. This is important because these plans were apparently fake, but having a building in a very similar location within the area and size suggests otherwise. They would have to be very specific into where the building of that size could go in coaster corner as to not be viewable from off site and where the ground is good enough to support such a building. The fact that these previous plans have the building in almost the exact place and almost the exact size, suggests that this information was already known. It would be if you were Nichols Brown Webber, the parks master planners, the planners who were apparently responsible for both Jazz Land and Horizon plans. The location of the building was carefully placed in a location within coaster corner where it was most likely to get planning consent and actually be able to be built based on ground surveys etc, this is not information you would have access to if you were faking these plans. As the parks lead architect firm though, you would have access to them.

To power phrase from the Dungeons topic, Nichols Brown Webber have been master planners at the park since 1990. As master planners, it is literally their job to come up with ideas and concepts to help guide park expansion. This means that most of the designs that are created will never be realised or actually see the light of day. But that is how master planning works.

This is potentially what we see here. Most designs do not and are never intended to see actual construction. They are just created as guidance from the architects, sometimes with little input from the park. This is precisely why you hire master planners after all. But, they have to still be grounded in reality and follow designs that would be possible in the real world. This is why I think the specific and strikingly similar location and size of both buildings in both plans, suggests that the Jazz Land plans were not fakes, but actual master planning concepts. Ones that were never intended to be constructed as is, but to give guidance into how the park could develop into the future

Potential guidance it possibly did give too, if this is a masterplan concept, it has done exactly what it was planned to do. Low and behold, nearly 2 decades after this concept, one idea from it, in the form of a huge show building in that area of the park, with an almost identical size, shape and location, is actually becoming a reality.

Rotating the buildings so they fit, once scaled to what they are in real life so that both are the correct scale relative to each other, (like before) gives the depth of the Jazz Land and Horizon buildings to be exactly the same. With the width of the Horizon building being ever so slightly wider. This specific observation supports the idea that both buildings were placed on to both plans with prior inside knowledge of the size of building that could be built in the area, taking into consideration data from ground surveys, the sensitive nature of the area and getting the thing through planning. You would not have access to any of this had you faked the plans. The fact the buildings are not only almost the exact same size, but almost in the exact same location, minus a bit of rotation, suggests to me, these were not fake.

eeeee3333.png

Interesting stuff!! This is not me declaring that this is not a fake, but it was widely accepted that it was fake at the time. The development of the Horizon plans however provide evidence that suggests this may not be the case.

Last edited:
I've split this into its own thread to stop any discussion de-railing other threads.

Unfortunately, whilst Jazz Land is an interesting topic, simply because of the imagination that went into them, it was very well documented at the time that these and the Broomsticks were both made by a member of the ATA community. If their forums are still up, you may even be able to find the username of the guy who created them.

I know one of the individuals who worked on this. Always in their office, at lunch, and often well beyond when very little else was occurring. The plans are extremely impressive in their detail, but they are definitely fake. Unless of course, I was the victim of a double bluff myself... 👀

What's the chances the person who made them is connected with the architects in some way. As to get inside information?

Just throwing ideas out there to justify such a similar building size and location. It could of course and most probably is a coincidence. A very rare one at that.

Last edited:
I find it funny that we call these fake back in the day...only for Project Horizons to have its main building in almost the exact same location as seen in the Jazz Land plans...this can't be a coincidence as they are so similar. At this point, I'll half believe that we'll see a coaster like the Broomstick coaster in Gloomy Wood sometime soon as the fake and the real start to blur in a very strange way...

I find it funny that we call these fake back in the day...only for Project Horizons to have its main building in almost the exact same location as seen in the Jazz Land plans...this can't be a coincidence as they are so similar. At this point, I'll half believe that we'll see a coaster like the Broomstick coaster in Gloomy Wood sometime soon as the fake and the real start to blur in a very strange way...

Well we did get a launched roller-coaster a year or two later after the broomstick fake plans, in the form of Rita. Both plans it seems have striking similarities with what happened and what is happening in the real world.

Very interesting if nothing else.

Well we did get a launched roller-coaster a year or two later after the broomstick fake plans, in the form of Rita. Both plans it seems have striking similarities with what happened and what is happening in the real world.

Very interesting if nothing else.
Respectfully, I think you're looking for patterns where none exist.

Both hoaxes emerged in 2004, against a backdrop of Cred Street being half closed, Toyland Tours being knackered (but still charming) and a plot of land behind which had previously been cleared due to noise issues. It was designed as a plan which would lapped up by its intended audience, and it managed that by slotting itself in to a perceived reality (that Cred Street will get a major development and this is the proof of that).

There's a reality that the only way to use a site like that for an attraction again is to enclose it, and the plot hasn't changed in size or shape since then... take a ruler to it and create a square-ish building to fill it, you end up with the Horizon/"Jazzland" building.

Other than being 'a launch coaster at Alton Towers' I'm not really sure what similarities there are between Rita and the fake Gloomy Wood 'broomstick coaster'. The main thing to note about the fake plan was that it was designed to scratch the enthusiast itch at the time to give Gloomy Wood a second attraction... again, it creates a narrative - 'ah it makes sense now, it is meant to have a rollercoaster'.

Getting a launch coaster wasn't some niche idea either, it was all the rage in the early 00s, it was certainly a common perception that Alton Towers would/should get one. Rita was the product of circumstance - part fashion, but also because of a series of events including the DIC buyout of Tussauds, management change after 14 years of continuity and the new brooms wanting a signature installation fast, Tussauds Studios having concept work ready for a long-planned one at Thorpe and a cancellation creating capacity at Intamin.

It's not for me to guess the intention of the prankster, but they knew their audience and knew that in order to get their hoax regarded as truth they had to convince the intended victims. It's a facet of the human condition that people are less likely to be cynical if what they're being presented fits in to something they perceive to be reality - Toyland Tours has got to be replaced soon, Alton Towers needs a launched coaster, Gloomy Wood can't be an area when it only has one ride, Coaster Corner is a waste etc etc. This is on top of the technical quality of the documents, which is astounding for something seemingly knocked together by someone to wind up a group of people... genuinely very impressive work.

The fact that Toyland Tours was replaced, Alton Towers got a launch coaster and now the wasted plot of land from Coaster Corner is being brought in to use (the only way it could possibly be) is just a sign that some of those perceived realities, tropes you might even say, were actually reality.