• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Jimmy Carr's Tax Arrangements

Adam

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Smiler
So according to our joke of a PM Jimmy Carr is "morally wrong" for his tax avoidance.

Yes David, because a snobbish moron like you can call someone else "morally wrong". ::)

Adz95 said:
So according to our joke of a PM Jimmy Carr is "morally wrong" for his tax avoidance.

Yes David, because a snobbish moron like you can call someone else "morally wrong". ::)

I agree that what Jimmy Carr did was morally wrong. But Cameron has to be consistent - many of his friends, who are much wealthier than Carr, do the same thing, and get away with not paying literal millions in tax. If it's wrong for Jimmy Carr to do it (and it is), then it's morally wrong for the likes of Phillip Green to do so too. If people like him paid their taxes, the financial mess we are in wouldn't be as bad.

AshleeKel said:
Adz95 said:

I agree that what Jimmy Carr did was morally wrong. But Cameron has to be consistent - many of his friends, who are much wealthier than Carr, do the same thing, and get away with not paying literal millions in tax. If it's wrong for Jimmy Carr to do it (and it is), then it's morally wrong for the likes of Phillip Green to do so too. If people like him paid their taxes, the financial mess we are in wouldn't be as bad.

Exactly my point, Cameron and his cronies calling Jimmy Carr morally wrong is just hypocritical of them, especially when they make a living basically exploiting others.

Adz95 said:

But questioned about his fellow scum doing the same thing, he "refuses to comment on individual's tax activity".

I've just split this topic out from the GCSE, so everyone can give David Cameron, or Jimmy Carr, or preferably both a good verbal kicking in a dedicated thread.

Enjoy! ;D

To be honest, Cameron is a hyprocrite as I'm sure him and many politicians are all doing the same in this climate.

This still doesn't change my views on either, and doesn't stop my "financial based" Dad going to see him on Friday.

I going to stand up for jimmy here, I don't think anyone asked the question "would you like to pay less tax?" would honestly answer "no".
It is the governments responcabilty to close the loopholes to stop this happening, until then if it's legal then fair game for not paying any more money to the morally bankrupt governments than nessasary. ( and I mean all parties as there as bad as each other.)

PS I'm going to see him Saturday and find him very funny live, nothing like on TV so yes I am biased.

What is it he has exactly done? Avoided tax by moving or something?

If that's it then why is he being singled out by Cameron... There's plenty of richer people that do this, not to mention big UK companies such as Boots, Cadbury's and Walkers!

As big T said who would honestly say that they would like to pay less tax, I am sure everyone that has worked has looked at their payslips and thought :eek: Why do they take so much money.

If its legal I guess it would be hard to say no to.

As far as I have read Brightside its just putting his earnings to a company in Jersey called K2 and they give it back as a "loan" so no income tax.

It is up to governments to sort this stuff out and I am sure the last joke Labour government was just as slack about closing loop holes as this one. I know you all like bashing Cameron about being a rich toff but does anyone remember the news report about how little tax Tony Blair (spit) pays? In case people have forgotten here it is:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 87001.html

All governments are as bad as each other, they all have companies that are their friends, all have high powered rich friends that dont want to pay tax and I am sure they help the avoid it.

I would not say that the Tories are any worse or better than Labour.

BigT said:
I going to stand up for jimmy here, I don't think anyone asked the question "would you like to pay less tax?" would honestly answer "no".
It is the governments responcabilty to close the loopholes to stop this happening, until then if it's legal then fair game for not paying any more money to the morally bankrupt governments than nessasary. ( and I mean all parties as there as bad as each other.)

PS I'm going to see him Saturday and find him very funny live, nothing like on TV so yes I am biased.

Let me remix this a little bit:

I'm going to stand up for benefit cheaters here, I don't think anyone asked the question "would you like to claim free money?" would you honestly answer "no"?

Benefit cheats and tax evaders (yes even the snakes who do it through barely legal means) are exactly the same thing and both are morally contemptible. They deny money which should be going to pay for society's needs and that in the end only hurts us.

If I wasn't a better person who believed in universal health care, I would say that ambulances should refuse to take Mr Carr to hospital in the event of an accident. He didn't pay for them so why should he reap the benefits of society?

Meat Pie said:
Benefit cheats and tax evaders (yes even the snakes who do it through barely legal means) are exactly the same thing and both are morally contemptible.

Although both are doing wrong, I think rich tax dodgers are much more morally contemptible than benefit cheats. At least the latter have the excuse of being poor, rich tax dodgers are just purely greedy. They're much much worse.

Meat Pie said:
BigT said:

Let me remix this a little bit:

I'm going to stand up for benefit cheaters here, I don't think anyone asked the question "would you like to claim free money?" would you honestly answer "no"?

Benefit cheats and tax evaders (yes even the snakes who do it through barely legal means) are exactly the same thing and both are morally contemptible. They deny money which should be going to pay for society's needs and that in the end only hurts us.

If I wasn't a better person who believed in universal health care, I would say that ambulances should refuse to take Mr Carr to hospital in the event of an accident. He didn't pay for them so why should he reap the benefits of society?

I suspect meat pie that you have never received a wage packet yet, when you do you may change your tune.
Anyway health care is paid for by NI not income tax so wouldn't make any difference as Mr Carr will still be subject to class 2 NI.
The point is anyway it is the governments job to make this impossible in which they have failed, while it is not illegal he has done nothing wrong.

Don't see what he's done wrong TBH.

A large majority of Britain would do the same if given the opportunity. I know I would.

Why pay a penny more than you legally have to?

Sam said:
Meat Pie said:
Benefit cheats and tax evaders (yes even the snakes who do it through barely legal means) are exactly the same thing and both are morally contemptible.

Although both are doing wrong, I think rich tax dodgers are much more morally contemptible than benefit cheats. At least the latter have the excuse of being poor, rich tax dodgers are just purely greedy. They're much much worse.

Both benefit cheating and tax evasion are illegal, tax avoidance no mater how morally contempt is not.

But what's worse for a society, people on benefits or people not being able to afford basic living costs?

I'm not advocating that people have the god given right to cheat the council for benefits if they earn a below comfortable wage, but them doing so is no where near the scale of immorality that someone with as large amount of wealth that some members of the Tory party avoiding taxes that go towards things such as hospitals or policing costs is.

Saint Gary Barlow has done exactly the same thing, yet seems to be untouchable since he wrote an awful song that had absolutely nothing to do with the jubilee.

Sam - Oh I agree, but the point I was making was that both actions cause exactly the same effects/consequences and yet only one is universally looked down upon. However as you say, tax evasion is more despicable because of the utter greed.

BigT said:
I suspect meat pie that you have never received a wage packet yet, when you do you may change your tune.
Anyway health care is paid for by NI not income tax so wouldn't make any difference as Mr Carr will still be subject to class 2 NI.
The point is anyway it is the governments job to make this impossible in which they have failed, while it is not illegal he has done nothing wrong.

First of all, please don't make assumptions about me based on little or no knowledge and secondly, please don't play the 'oh you've not personally been effected so your opinion is worthless' card as that simply doesn't wash.

Just to be clear, I don't happen to think the tax system is perfect. I think that even if Mr. Carr or Mr. Barlow paid the expected amount, they would still not be paying nearly enough for their ludicrously large earnings and likewise, I think that the normal working and lower Middle class people do pay too much tax in comparison with the rest of society.

That doesn't mean however that it is right for someone not to pay, and there is categorically no excuses for a multi-millionaire to avoid paying their debt to society.

And as for your point that if it's legal then it's fair game - I think that really is a pitiful stance. It was once legal to own slaves and I still hold those slave owners accountable for their personal involvement. Jimmy Carr is accountable for his actions, and just because he is protected by law does not make it morally justifiable.

I'd be curious to hear what moral description Mr Cameron would give to the tax activities of his good friend Sir Philip Green.