• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Island: General Discussion

That looks great and those OTSR look like they will have a big impact on the experience.

Re: Kings Island - Son Of Beast and B&M replacement

That looks incredible. The best invert since Nemesis...? Possibly. The loop through the lift is gorgeous, and those colours are absolutely electric. Layout looks a bit like Montu. Looks intense, too.

Is it me or is that lifthill steeper than normal?

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure if I like it. I mean, it's quite repetitive, with two loops, two very similar dive loops (one going into the batwing) and not much that isn't inversions. If the second loop was a hill over the lift-hill with a good foot-chopper, then it would be much more exciting for me. Not having near-misses in a inverted coaster is not really what you're looking for really.

The heart-line roll looks excellent though.

There are some pretty nice elements to it though, and the height and speed should help to make up for part of the more uninspiring areas.

Anyway, there are even more teasers of the ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0prGGzKtAA#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FUUwfG_ELc#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OuW3fGuRZE#ws

The facts:
7 loops, 68 mph, 4124.1 feet of track, $24 million price tag.

I'll be interested to hear how these new trains compare with the current invert trains. The differences, as can be seen in the videos, are a lot more than just new restraints.

I've been wanting to see an invert feature a loop over the lift for quite some time (hence why I've made two in NL that feature one, albeit in smaller and more forceful forms :p ). And like Nick has already said, the heart-line roll looks great!

Finally...

db_2014_PKI_Banshee_3jpg1.jpg

Screamscape has a few other images to view of the ride here.

Er... WOW! ;D

If only I had enough money to afford a trip to America :(

:eek: That looks effing fantastic - love the helix finale. KI is now on my must do list - never even considered on previous trips to the US. The woodies were not enough to attract me, even though the beast is so highly praised.

The restraints will also be comfy being the same vest design such as air/swarm.... The trains are odd, I wonder why they have opted to have two seats for each beam, rather than the 1 on most inverts? Maybe rigidity. Should hopefully all make the experience better though. The ONLY downside I can see is that the trains will be lighter (guessing from pictures only, box section instead of solid beams), so they won't carry as much speed through the elements :(

So, erm, that's costing the same as Thirteen did then? And £3m less than The Smiler? How incredibly depressing.

Oh my... That's... Uh...

WIN!!!!

Have to admit I'm quite curious as to those restraints! Here's hoping Oz'Iris gets a retrofit, as Kings Island is a bit too far to go :p

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Well this is exciting, the first drop looks incredible and I read somewhere that the coaster won't reach its top speed until halfway through the layout which could make for great pacing.

I really didn't expect the new trains. I suppose the vest restraints are necessary for the inline twist as the heartline roll on Hydra with standard OTSRs is almost universally hated. It could just be me but the seats look much more reclined than the older invert trains.

In some ways, it's sad that we could be saying goodbye to the trains that have been used over the last 20 years or so and Banshee is certainly a very different kind of coaster to any B&M invert that precedes it. It's completely devoid of any snappy, high roll rate inversions that usually characterise the inverted coaster. In fact, I think it's the first B&M invert not to feature a wing over.

Having said that though, it's a massive relief that B&M are finally going in new directions with their most prolific coaster model after years of stagnation. I'd much rather this than another Silver Bullet or Oz Iris.

Wow that looks incredible! The drop is immense (though still not as good looking as my beloved Alpy's :p ). Then the layout after that is jam packed full of different elements. Certainly looks like B&M at their best.

It will be interesting to see how this rides compared to other inverts as well. The new trains probably will have slightly different characteristics to the old ones. My slight reservation though is the restrains. I just hope they don't tighten like on The Swarm as that could be quite painful.

Still, Kings Island will be moving way up on my parks I want to visit list once this opens!

:)

Looks amazing but whether it will be you can never tell with B&M these days.

Hope so.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Bloody hell that looks amazing! Great layout and I love the red and blue colour scheme. Also acts as a fantastic replacement for Son of Beast. If this was heavily themed (Which it won't be because this is Cedar Fair were talking about) Then it would seriously Give Nemesis a run for its money.

Oh and the "Banshee" name is awful...

Still, looks amazing! :D

The barrel roll and drop are amazing, but other than that I don't see the fuss. Just another cookie cutter B&M, just less snappy and with a more drawn out batwing.

It looks great, but it's hardly a revolutionary layout.

But that barrel roll. <3

Would this be the first invert with what RCT would call an "inline twist"? It's certainly not a heartline roll, as the center of rotation is above your head. Could provide some interesting dynamics.

B&M have been acting very oddly recently.

For about 20 years, they were famous for being the company that perfected their models first time, and never made any significant changes. Yes, they'd introduce new models, but everything else was 'right first time'.

Suddenly in the last few years they've introduced radical new hyper trains, built a train for another company's ride (Steel Dragon 2000) and now they've changed the invert trains, so the restraints resemble something from Vekoma. I'm a little concerned, because there was nothing wrong with the invert trains before.

It's like Coca-Cola suddenly deciding to change the formula!

Sam said:
B&M have been acting very oddly recently.

For about 20 years, they were famous for being the company that perfected their models first time, and never made any significant changes. Yes, they'd introduce new models, but everything else was 'right first time'.

Suddenly in the last few years they've introduced radical new hyper trains, built a train for another company's ride (Steel Dragon 2000) and now they've changed the invert trains, so the restraints resemble something from Vekoma. I'm a little concerned, because there was nothing wrong with the invert trains before.

The vest restraints do make sense for this coaster though. I don't think that the old trains would be too comfortable in a maneuver with a lot of hangtime like the inline twist. The zero G roll looks pretty drawn out as well. Whether these sorts of elements are suited to an inverted coaster is the question for me as they do strike me as being a bit wing coaster-y.

Sam said:

Oddly enough Coca-Cola did change their formula in the 80's, and it was a massive failure and reintroduced the old one a few months later!

I don't think a similar thing will happen with B&M, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm very much in the same boat as Sam here. While it's great to see B&M innovating once more, I can't help but feel that messing with what is widely considered the perfect design might be a bad idea. The new trains are an interesting concept, but I do have a couple of concerns with them.

One of the main complaints you seem to hear with Swarm is the fact that some find their vests tighten up throughout the ride, and become uncomfortable. Others say they find the vests rub the shoulders and neck area. If the same were to happen here I can't help but feel that it would ruin the ride for some. By comparison, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a word against the standard OTSRs on other Inverts. They aren't the softest things, granted, but with B&M track design there's no real need to be. It's not like you frequently get bashed by them or anything.

Also, as Sam has said, the new trains do have a very Vekoma style to them. One of the most impressive things about B&M's trains is how huge and bulky they look, whilst at the same time, retaining a very clean and sleek finish. These new ones however look a bit out of place on a B&M I think.

I dunno. I like that they are looking at fresh ideas, but I'm really not keen on the idea of them altering the near perfect :/