• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lagoon: General Discussion

Nick

TS Member
lZUKJKl.png

Some of you may be familiar with Bombora at Lagoon Park, which was built in house (i.e. the track was fabricated at the actual theme park). If not, here's a POV:

For 2015, a much larger coaster is being made in the same way, called Cannibal. Much of it looks fairly similar to the coaster being made at Hansa Park- with there being a vertical lift inside a tower and a >200 foot beyond vertical drop. But, this drop is at a ridiculous 116 degrees. Lap-bars are also confirmed, which seems like a major plus. Here are some of the plans:

render1.jpg

Love that double heart line roll, which changes direction halfway.
render2.jpg

render3.jpg

And the theming doesn't look too bad as well:

hD5Gb5s.jpg

Also note there is one unknown inversion, which is said to be unique in the world.

Hopefully some of the design is just missing in that artwork, because otherwise there's quite a difference in height between the immelmann / dive loop and the beyond-vertical drop! :p

Interesting that they're building such a massive coaster in-house though. Hopefully the trains for this will look better than those on their other in-house coaster which @Nick has already posted above, haha!

Just done an RCDB search. The bat coaster with orange restraints... Ewwwww! Haha.

Looks like the tri-track which companies like Intamin or Gerstlauer use. For in house, it looks really, really good! Will be nice to see how to will come.

Howdy Folks,

Just figured I'd clarify some Information on Wicked, BomBora, and Cannibal at Lagoon.

Wicked's Concept and Design was Originally done by Lagoon's Vice President of Engineering, Dal Freeman, who formerly worked for Arrow Dynamics and Designed Coasters such as Magnum XL-200 and Many of Arrows Creations of the Early 90's. Lagoon originally wanted to manufacture the Ride themselves, subcontracting out the Fabrication of Components to Various Companies, like a Large Majority of Ride Manufacturers do. Lagoon simply needed a partner to make Wicked happen and that Partner was Zierer. Zierer took Dal Freeman's Design and sent that to Stengle for the Calculations and Plans for the Fabricator, Stakotra Manufacturing, to Produce. Lagoon wanted Zierer to have Intermountain Lift, Inc., of Springville, Utah, to Fabricate the Columns and Track, but Zierer refused. Once Wicked was Initially Erected, NDT Testing discovered nearly 90% of the Columns had Defective Weldments, requiring Lagoon to disassemble most of the Ride, Re-weld and Re-paint the Columns, and Re-Erect the Ride causing a 2 Month Delay in Opening.

After what happened with Wicked, Lagoon decided to build the coaster on their own. Dal Freeman and another Park Engineer, Dustin Allen, created the Concept and Design for BomBora. Lagoon had ART Engineering GmbH complete the Calculations and send the Plans to Intermountain Lift to Fabricate the Columns and Track, ART Engineering acted as the main Supplier for the Ride including Fabrication of the Trains and their On Board Audio and Lighting Effects, and Actemium Controlmatic GmbH provided the PLC Safety System. Lagoon acted as the General Contractor Driving All Piles for the Deep Foundation/Footings, Piers, and Erected the Ride. What Lagoon got was an Innovative Family Roller Coaster with Features found on Very Few Coasters and Built to Last.

Cannibal is being built in the same way as BomBora, and Lagoon has brought in even more Local Contractors to make Cannibal a Reality.

This is what Lagoon released Exclusively to Lagoonisfun.com Immediately after the Announcement:
cannibal.png

[align=center]Image courtesy of Lagoon[/align]

Farmington, UT (September 4, 2014): Lagoon unveiled plans to debut the most exciting roller coaster in the park’s history, Cannibal. According to Julie Freed, spokesperson for Lagoon, “We have named it Cannibal, because in our collective mind it will eat other roller coasters in their tracks!” Cannibal has been under construction for over two years and is set to open for the upcoming 2015 season. This steel roller coaster is one of a kind, and is primarily manufactured and constructed locally.

Cannibal will be the tallest attraction on the park with a height of 208 feet. This state of the art coaster will thrill riders with its unique elements unlike anything else at Lagoon. Riders will be lifted 208 feet on a vertical lift and then plunged into a free fall at a break-over angle of 116 degrees into an underground tunnel. The 12 rider vehicles travel up to 70 miles per hour through three inversions. Cannibal will be the most exciting thrill ride in Lagoon history and is unlike anything else in the country.

Stats as Released to Us By Lagoon:
Tower Height: 208 Feet
Track Length: 2,735 Feet
Ride Time: 2 ½ minutes
Maximum G Force: 4.2 G’s
Maximum Speed: 70 miles per hour
Maximum Inverted Loop: 140 Feet Tall
Riders Per Car: 12
Rider Capacity Per Hour: 1,200
Minimum Height to Ride: 46 to 48 inches, to be determined
Budget: $22 Million

Unique Ride Elements:
Vertical Lift
Inverted Loop
Diving Loop
Underground Tunnel
Exclusive thrill element to be announced at a later date.

[img width=700px height=700px alt=Rendering 1 of Cannibal]http://www.lagoonisfun.com/graphics/cannibal/render1.jpg[/img]

[img width=700px height=700px alt=Rendering 2 of Cannibal]http://www.lagoonisfun.com/graphics/cannibal/render2.jpg[/img]

[img width=700px height=700px alt=Rendering 3 of Cannibal]http://www.lagoonisfun.com/graphics/cannibal/render3.jpg[/img]

cannibalwater.png

Manufactured and constructed locally
Over 75% of contractors and vendors are from Utah
Significant Local Contractors:
- Automotive & Industrial Supply
- Border States Electric
- Brundage-Bone
- Codale Electric Supply
- Colonial Building Supply
- Fastenal Company
- FOR-SHOR Company
- GEM Buildings
- Geneva Rock Inc.
- H&E Equipment Services
- HOJ Engineering & Sales
- Intermountain Concrete Specialties
- Intermountain Lift
- Lakeview Rock Products
- Marmon/Keystone, LLC
- Marz Precision Manufacturing
- Masco, Inc.
- Mountain Crane Services, LLC
- Pacific Steel
- Petersen Incorporated
- Pilot Freight Services
- Quality Fire Protection
- Richards Sheet Metal
- T.H.B. Inc.
- Wadsworth Brothers Construction
- Ward Engineering Group
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Wells Fargo Equipment Financing
- Wilson Brothers Trucking

Additionally, we know of the following info:
Name: Cannibal
Manufacturer: Lagoon Corporation, Inc., Farmington, Utah, USA
Type: Steel Roller Coaster with Vertical Elevator Lift
Concept and Design: Dal Freeman (Vice President of Engineering) and Dustin Allen (Engineer) of Lagoon Corporation, Inc., Farmington, Utah, USA
Engineering: ART Engineering GmbH, Oberried, Germany
General Contractor: Lagoon Corporation Maintenance and Construction, Farmington, Utah, USA

Trains:
5-6 Trains
3 Rows of 4 Persons. 12 Persons Per Train.
Overhead Lapbar Restraints

Notes:
Will Feature an Enclosed Dual Elevator Lift.
Inversions will Include an Inverting Loop (Immelman Loop), Diving Loop (Dive Loop), and a Third Unnamed Inversion which appears to be some type of Double Barrel Roll Element.
First Major Steel Roller Coaster to be Entirely Designed and Constructed "In House" outside of the Walt Disney Company.

Other Details:
Track and Column/Upright Fabricator: Intermountain Lift, Inc.
Train Fabricator: ART Engineering GmbH, Oberried, Germany
Elevator Fabricator: ART Engineering GmbH, Oberride, Germany (Lift Platforms and Machinery) and Intermountain Lift, Inc., Springville, Utah (Elevator Track)
PLC Safety System: Actemium Controlmatic GmbH, Frankfurt, Germany

First Major Steel Roller Coaster to be Entirely Designed and Constructed "In House" outside of the Walt Disney Company.

Blue Fire and other Mack rides at Europa Park?

Genuine question as I'm not sure if that counts as "In House" but I would count it as such.

I think they're designed by MACK rides, which is a separate company from Europa Park?

:)

True but aren't the contractors being used here also a separate company?

Thanks for that insight linearinduction! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, should be quite interesting.

Thanks for that insight linearinduction! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, should be quite interesting.

Your Welcome! Another "odd" piece of information that makes this coaster unique are the Trains are 3 Rows of 4 Persons, but each Train only has 4 Bogies. :)

There's been some updates in the Cannibal Thread on LagoonisFun.com of the Complete Tower in place and they are building the framing for one of the Temples over the Tunnel. I'll try to keep you guys updated. :)

It really is looking rather mental... I mean that drop is insanely huge, especially considering it goes straight into a tunnel at the bottom! I've just had a browse over at the LagoonisFun forum and there's a couple more pictures there, including this one showing the starts of the immelman that follows the drop! It really does look set to be a fair bit smaller so I dread to think the speed it will be taken at.

attachment.php

There are also some images over on the Facebook page Canibal Roller Coaster, that are taken from the air. When you see it from that angle, you can immediately see quite how compact it is going to be for a coaster with a drop of such a height!

Just on a slight side note, am I the only one that finds it incredibly odd that this and Karnan are being built at the same time. For two completely unrelated coasters that are yet quite similar to come along at once is rather strange!

It looks like the immelman is only going to be a bit higher than half the size of the drop, that really is going to be interesting and taken at quite a speed. Someone on Facebook has done a drawing of how the drop could look when completed:

1653879_10205269453243654_1178882940721476983_n.jpg

Mad!

Anyone know what that tower is supposed to look like when it's finished, we know Karnan will be a castle structure but so far that tower just looks odd!

Apparently the buildings at the bottom will be temples, and there's something they're apparently keeping secret if I read somewhere correctly.

Weird one this!

Still next year seems to be the year of bonkers coasters, long may it continue!

I wonder whether the drop will be trimmed like Takabisha etc. SAW still stands as the steepest non-trimmed drop, this could take that crown.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure we will find out once to final pieces of the drop are installed.

However, if it does turn out not to be trimmed... I can't see it being long after opening until it is!

Being in house, let's just hope they leave it untrimmed - think of the insanity of the airtime!